Home General Discussion

No NDA buddy. Why would you want one?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
so lets just say SOMEONE .. (not me ;)) has a casual game. that someone has been in contact with a CERTAIN distributor.

that distributor suggested that the procedure is to send them over a demo build to have a look at and give feedback on, and if they decide to go forward with it, THEN they'll sign an NDA.

sounds.. iffy... to me man.

not that that someone is me.

Replies

• Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Sounds.. iffy... to me, man.

I'm no expert, but it sounds shady to me, too.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    ...The problem is John.... if they were to sign an NDA before hand, and just happen to have a game already in development that was similar, then they could potentially get themselves into trouble......
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    NDA before you give them ANYTHING, thats the procedure...you dont tie your boat down after it floats away...you do it before so it doesnt float away
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Whilst I think this person that you might know already knows that they should get an NDA, I think you should tell your friend to get legal advice from someone that isn't the internet.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whilst I think this person that you might know already knows that they should get an NDA, I think you should tell your friend to get legal advice from someone that isn't the internet.

LOL i love you.

and i am, don't worry. but i also wanted to hear what you guys said.

thanks for the replies so far..
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17

pffft don't listen to Rick. The Interwebs knows all!

(especially unrelated forums!)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Offer a 60-seconds of gameplay document outlining the experience where they don't need to sign an NDA.

Offer a game play video where they don't need to sign an NDA.

Offer to fly there and do a live presentation w/ a playable demo that they can play where they don't have to sign an NDA. Have it on a laptop you own, ready to go.

Does this stop them from running with the idea? No. But at least they don't have any original working content from you guys.

I'd shy away from presenting them a playable demo on DVD or FTP without them signing an NDA and hoping for the best. If they burn you and take your idea and run with it, it will do nothing but burn your ambition to try again within this industry. You've been fucked before John - lets not do that again, ya?

It's not until you're in the concept submission phase of this process do you want to give them a playable demo they can toy with on their own. Generally, part of this process has legal outlines involved that can save your ass.

I'd also seek legal advice, especially from lawyers with game industry experience. Living in Vancouver, that shouldn't be hard to find.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Yep, in Vancouver everyone's a paralegal.

Anyways, don't even bother until proper legal advice is taken. This just sounds plain fishy.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmm... Send it to me. I will take care of everything.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I love this place <3

-caseyjones
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    What kind of casual game? What demographic are you targeting? In any case...

1. Forget the shady "distributor"

2. XNA

3. Steam

4. Profit
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    How many of you have experience pitching games to distributors? Not me. I'd be willing to bet that most people offering advice don't either. I'd recommend heading to a indie games/casual games community and asking there as you might get a more informed response.

My advice would be for you to think of what's the worst that could happen. Are they going to rip off your idea? Probably not. And if your idea is that easy to rip off you probably don't have much that is bankable.

I'm guessing if you press the issue of the NDA, they'll just blow you off, but, AGAIN, what do I know?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on casual games for the DS that were pitched to local publishers/investors. They got a small preview, a one sheet. NDAs were always signed before presenting the game itself. The point of my last post was...why are you dealing with publishers when there are two great outlets for getting your games released. The Xbox Live community using XNA looks very promising. And Steam is releasing tons of casual games.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    doc_rob wrote: »
    How many of you have experience pitching games to distributors? Not me. I'd be willing to bet that most people offering advice don't either. I'd recommend heading to a indie games/casual games community and asking there as you might get a more informed response.

My advice would be for you to think of what's the worst that could happen. Are they going to rip off your idea? Probably not. And if your idea is that easy to rip off you probably don't have much that is bankable.

I'm guessing if you press the issue of the NDA, they'll just blow you off, but, AGAIN, what do I know?

I have some decent hands-on experience of what I had written in my last post.
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    I've worked on both sides of the table for several years. Make sure you do the NDA before if your friend doesn't want anything disclosed. Make sure it's either a Mutual NDA or a Unilateral NDA in your FRIENDS direction. Don't sign a Unilateral NDA going the other way.

If they say they don't want to have a similar game in development and that is why they won't sign one, call bullshit. Most standard NDA's have clauses that call out the preexisting IP and concepts are exclusions. If they claim they don't know what is in development, call bullshit again. Every publisher knows what is going on in their kitchen.

If they push back on your friend, tell him he can walk away from the negotiating table. If it's a casual/indie publisher, you don't have to worry, there are many MANY publishers with funding at the moment. It's not like the mainstream arena right now with the Big 3, and most casual portals and publishing houses know this and will want to see the game.
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Also, if they try to impress on you that your friend is "too small" to deal with a NDA. That is just ridiculous negotiating, and a common tactic used with independent developers to get into good positioning. No one is too small to take legal precautions, they may blow him off, and they may not be interested, but it's always good to cover your ass.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    I've had to work with numerous pubs that we've required NDAs. It should be a pretty black and white situation of what Brome said... give them a short enough teaser that you physically have the copy of (and show them yourself) if they're that resistant, and then have them sign for a fuller GDD + demo.

Either way if you or your studio doesn't come from a somewhat renown dev background you're going to have to bend your back to them to certain degrees... you can seek legal advice but you know this industry crosses that 'code' on frequent occasions (especially towards indies).
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Oh crap Kovac! Sorry I missed you Thursday, I got a gnarly cold and was laid up Thursday Friday. Good seeing you, hope to see ya again soon.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    What kind of casual game? What demographic are you targeting? In any case...

1. Forget the shady "distributor"

2. XNA

3. Steam

4. Profit

Erm... XNA is unlikely at best to give any amount of profit as right now the odds of a game made in XNA getting a public release aren't very high, Xbox Live is incredibly tough for small indie's to get onto, and steam is restricted to games that Valve give the go-ahead to, which tend to be games that are backed by decent publishers or studios that Valve has a history with.

Banking on getting a casual game on either Live or Steam by yourself to profit is not a good idea. A better idea is to get a publisher who has dealt with distribution and has pre-existing connections, getting a good royalty deal, and letting them handle that. Atleast in my experience at a couple of indie companies.

Also, one thing to keep in mind with this is that because the game is already created and you (likely) have back-ups dating back in its production, along with proof that it was indeed you who made it, it is already copywrited under your name by law. If you were to show it to a publisher and they were to, for whatever reason, try to steal the idea, I'd imagine you should have a strong case against them. If they were to go blabbing about the idea... awesome? Free advertisement!

Anyways, that should all be taken with a grain of salt, given that I've not dealt directly with publisher/NDA stuff.

That said, here's a quote from Brian Tinsman, a Lead Concept Aquisitions Rep for Wizards of the Coast (or was, it's from his book, I dunno what he does now).

From his "Top Ten Reasons Games Get Rejected"

"...
    5. Game is submitted without required legal forms or with inventor's own legal forms: If the company asks you to sign a disclosure and you don't, your submission goes right in the trash. Asking a publisher to sign a confidentiality agreement usually has the same effect. This is like stamping "I don't understand the procedure" on the front of your submission.

Take from that what you will, and it may be different in the card/boardgames stuff than in video games, but it seems that it is possible this company may be following a procedure?

Anways, good luck with it John. Like everyone else said, talk to someone who's used to this shit.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot guys, this is some badass advice.. no joke.

Adam - this is good advice. kisses! -- and *gasp*. fucked? me? never. meh, i was happy about the layoff. seriously. it hurts to get dumped, but it was for the best.

Jesse- WHEW! ah thanks man. we've been looking for someone like you. whats your mailing address? hahaha

Elysium - it's a PC game that we're planning on distributing.. where ever. i emailed steam but i haven't heard back from them. i'm going to make up a vid and send them a link.

Ajax - that's some fine advice. many thanks.

Kovac - same to you man. cheers!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Also, XNA couldn't be used for XBLA because the framework doesn't support DLC (if you can believe it).
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    god bless you mitch.

i mean it, he's watching.

he's fucking watching all of you
  • Hardset
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    Erm... XNA is unlikely at best to give any amount of profit as right now the odds of a game made in XNA getting a public release aren't very high, Xbox Live is incredibly tough for small indie's to get onto, and steam is restricted to games that Valve give the go-ahead to, which tend to be games that are backed by decent publishers or studios that Valve has a history with.

Xna Creators Club allows you to commercially distribute games. There is a peer review process, but you set a price before you submit it. If it passes peer review, it goes directly to Xbox LIVE Marketplace:

http://creators.xna.com/en-US/submit_detail

I am going through this process now. It's not difficult. Have you seen some of the the crap they sell on there?

adamBrome is correct in that they don't have a DLC option in the framework. I'm not entirely sure if that will change with Xna3 but it's in the rumor mill.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    An NDA doesn't prevent someone from stealing your work or idea—that's covered by copyright law—it's just an agreement between two parties that one party won't publicly divulge any information that's provided by the other party (e.g. they won't post on their blog about the new demo some indie dev sent them).

If they took your game and copied it or started to distribute it without your permission, you'd go after them based on copyright infringement, not on an NDA violation. If you're not in a position where you can legally establish your ownership of the copyright to the material, then you shouldn't be sending it to them regardless of whether or not they sign an NDA.

Not saying you should accept their refusal to sign one, though. That seems kind of ridiculous; it's not like signing a piece of paper is a huge inconvenience... and it's not like a non-disclosure agreement is asking them to accept some sort of huge legal liability.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to post what Hardset posted in response to Tulkamire. Additional info:
    http://creators.xna.com/en-US/XboxLIVECommunityGames

I'm not saying straight out avoid publishers. If you have luck getting one with a good deal, that doesn't want you to transform your game with one of their existing licenses...all the best to you. Just pointing out the other options. Last year a group of developers and I fished around for publishers/investors. No luck. Not sure how things are now with the economy. As a result, a friend and I left, and have been playing around with XNA. There is lots of crap going through the XNA channel. For an experienced developer and artist...it can lead to something rewarding. Or, your game simply isn't fun or appealing to most. Steam and Wiiware are strict. But if your game is fun and well refined...it's worth a try. It's a gamble. Good luck.