Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New ISS Work, Buildings

Hey all, hopefully a massive improvement at quality of work, again this work is for a modteam and might acutally be used in game, merely because one of the members lost alot of work due to Harddrive failure

Word of warning to all modellers then, back your work up right now. :D

Anyways, previously i modelled a infantry and it turned out really really bad the first time, way over the Tri limit and everything... the next attempts got me closer to my goal but eventually i gave up,

My new task was to model a new building using one of the previous renders uploaded onto the modteam website... i hope you folk love it :D

Statistics of Helipad on its own... (inc Stairs)

Polygons : 156
Tris : 364
Edges : 338
Verts : 184

Statistics of Scene shown below

Polygons : 229
Tris : 608
Edges : 533
Verts : 314

Helipad_ISS_Work_by_Kronos9000.jpg

All comments are welcome....

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    oh boy,- you have a long way to go
    how about a reference drawing,- or a concept piece that way you can make sure that the whole building follows a design and purpose visual speaking.

the 'H' on the platform should be covered using a texture,- maybe a good start would be to read a UV-mapping tutorial. That will tell you how to apply images/ textures around the model properly.

good luck anyway
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Your perspecive is way off. Judging from the size for your door a human would need a latter to climb up those stairs. Make sure that you are building stuff to scale. Start off with a box 6 feet tall by 2.5 feet wide and base all your objects off of that. I would say that this model is about 10% done like Rnderhjs said you have a long way to go. Good luck keep at it, you'll get it soon enough.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you upload the render you where working from, might be able to give you some more help then, Orgoth is correct though, the scale is really off.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    i wanna shoot that tank in the bg....

i've been playing too much L4D..
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, :) I was tierd last night so the door is a bit small, but nothing i can't change... the stairs and the rest of it is fine... and like i think i said before, i'm not at all good at texturing, so i put temp textures on there.

The other objects in it like the oil drum and that aren't anything to do with it so thats okay, i'll upload another render of the door... :) Remember you won't be thinking about scale when your playing C&C Generals, not at all.. since the infantry are mega huge (bigger then cars lol)

All in all would you say i've done a good job? Its basic yes and the design however isn't mine (i used a reference image of someone elses work - > They told me to remodel it)

Thanks again.
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ISS Work Modified

Was a bit off so i scaled it a bit better..

Stats (without objects exc stairs)

Poly : 122
    Tris : 311
    Edges : 288
    Verts : 164

Helipad_ISS_Work_Modified_by_Kronos9000.jpg

All comments are welcome and indeed handy... As you might notice ive enlarged the door, (you cant see this) i've deleted the bottom polys because you won't see them, spared up 50 odd Tris which is very good...

Thanks all, hopefully this is within scale...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Scales are still all over the place, as well as detailing... If I remember correctly, this is for an RTS game, right?

The way you look at it, is kinda the same way as making a next gen model, you just cut out the high poly. Usually in next gen work, you look at what polies will change the silhouette, and keep those on the low poly model. Think the same here. That door arch, its doing nothing, because a texture could do the same. The flat piece on the top? The H on the helipad, and maybe even the edge work? Same.

Depending on what level of quality you want, you could even make the steps a simple triangle and texture map them.

The trouble is, you don’t appear to be looking at the finished result in your mind. Remember that textures will bring a lot of the smaller details out, so you dont have to add so many smaller things.

Another tip is every so often, check the model in the average screen space it will take up. Obviously, this model is HUGE in the pics you have posted, compared to the size it will take up on screen. Zoom out, and check what you can see and where the detail may be needed.
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I showed the modteam it and they said it was great, but needed to be changed a bit.. which is understandable... all models need changning a little when they are finished.

Anyways.. thanks for your comment..
  • JBB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBB
    Eh, just give up guys, seems this guy already thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe the problem is with the mod team... Speaking honestly here...
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I showed the modteam it and they said it was great, but needed to be changed a bit.. which is understandable... all models need changning a little when they are finished.

Anyways.. thanks for your comment..

Im sorry to say, but if your mod team is happy with your model it wont be a great mod. You have put your work up here for for constructive critique from people who actually WORK in the industry and you have all but shunned it. Not only is that bad for your mod work but its also bad for your prospects if you wish to go into the industry.

The first thing i tell students when i go back to uni is that they need to be prepared to take criticism whether they see it as constructive or not. Ultimately your work is just that, work, its not your own model, you are creating someone elses vision the majority of the time. I think you need to step back and take a look at your work and ask yourself if its honestly up to scratch. I would say its not, but by listening to what people have said you could improve it an aweful lot.

"all models need changing a little when they are finished" - Then i would say its not finished is it. Dont be happy with a slap dash attempt.
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :)

Here is the final image, which i finally finished.... (without the texture part of course)

I can take the criticism, but if they say its okay then there word goes... in my position its not about if you think its good but if they do... of course i'd perfectly take into consideration the comments made by you folk if it was my own work, which its not

nevertheless! Its all about improving my modelling skills... at 10 weeks i think this is decent work. Still haven't got face modelling right yet :(

Helipad_ISS_Work_Finished_by_Kronos9000.png
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Why dont you make the fence a single sided effort and then use alpha testing or alpha blending, would be much, much faster?
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because i'm not good enough :(

Nor am i a texturer, assuming thats what you meant... see i'm a noob quite frankly... so i cant take crticism as well as i should be able to...

sorry :(!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    A read some quote somewhere about teachers being able to open doors but then someone has to walk through it. :/ hrrmm.

its time to do some learning. google is an amazing tool, USE IT,-

Mesh_overview.jpg

your fences currently have 6 surface (12 faces/triangles)
    your fence only needs 1 surface (2 faces/triangles)

making a material or a shader for the fence so that it is 2 sided (so it renders on both sides of the surface) might be a bit more complex, but you shouldnt concern your self with that right now.

to circumvent the shader issue you might want to make your 1 sided fence, 2 sided by simply duplicate it, and flip the new faces normals.

A mod is a great place to get your feet wet with production, but its also a great place to start developing some really snooty, high and mighty behavior. stay humble (especially at the stage your at) read READ READ.

for the record it smells an aweful lot like troll in here.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    konstruct wrote: »
    for the record it smells an aweful lot like troll in here.

agreed right there. i honestly doubt any mod team would ever accept any kinda of work of this low caliber unless they were playing a joke on you.

there are a ton of online tutorials and if this isnt a troll post then you really REALLY REALLY need to start doing all of them
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    :)

Its all about improving my modelling skills... at 10 weeks i think this is decent work.

As much as I don't want to discourage you in your modeling efforts, I do want to be completly blunt and honest with you. As someone who is has worked in the Game Industry as an Artist for 3+years now I can say that this model is no where near decent. I would expect to see this kind of work for a first week modeling student. I think that you are trying to do to much at one time without the expirence to know what you are doing. I would suggest starting off small, with very basic assets, a barrel or a crate for instance. By doing these small object and doing them VERY well, you will pick up techinques to help you with larger, more complicated objects and then move on to doing scenes. As a self definded noob I think that doing this will be very benifical to you, and I think that most other artist will agree with me.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    frubes hit it on the head, you really need to take critique to its fullest. nothing less will do. when i first started out, i was given loads of brutally honest crits. at first i just thought that people were being mean and i ignored them. then i decided to take the crits and apply them to my item. i compared and noticed the improvement. needless to say i now take all crits :) calling yourself a noob is an even better reason to take crits. they are there to help you get better!
    Autocon wrote: »
    i honestly doubt any mod team would ever accept any kinda of work of this low caliber unless they were playing a joke on you.
    you would be surprised. mod management is often quite poor and usually pick up horrifyingly bad artists. its why i've sworn off mods after working on 3 of them. (among several other reasons!)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Hey dude, some good tips here for ya, take their advice! :)

Also, heres a book my concept artist buddy uses when hes doing buildings and what not, [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Architects-Data-3rd-Ernst-Neufert/dp/0632057718/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227571120&sr=8-1[/ame]

contains sizes and proportions of pretty much everything in relation to..everything else.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i actually think this i very good guys , dont know what the fuss is all about...IF his mod team approves who are you guys to diss it ? maybe you could learn a thing or two with this fella.
    Keep at it general atrocious, i see your future bright !
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm...

Thanks for the help all...

I just need some suggestions, that'd be great...

I'm going to post a render of my head model too now...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    TBH, I would just scrap this whole thing lol, I couldn't release anything like this...?
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh did i mention this work is low poly and for a RTS type game?
  • JBB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBB
    Johny wrote: »
    i actually think this i very good guys , dont know what the fuss is all about...IF his mod team approves who are you guys to diss it ? maybe you could learn a thing or two with this fella.
    Keep at it general atrocious, i see your future bright !

:D!!

I think I facepalmed on nearly every post by the OP. Need suggestions? You've been given plenty.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Its not low poly though, thats the thing... Its just poorly made. And you ahven't listened to anybody giving you advice :|