Ark Machine

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
most recent image:
newshot004.jpg

Hi

This is my current project here...
story: it's a machine that holds the body of Christ, who sacrificed himself to man for us to harvest god's power to use as a weapon.

Here's the concept
HarvestorConcept.jpg

High Poly
ARK01.jpg

Current WIP Textures
ark03-1.jpg

Looking for crits, WIP

thanks much :P
ADM

edit: sorry for the large images

Replies

• ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    love the story behind this high-poly looks awesome, but i dont like the textures at all.
    are they staight photosourced?
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yah still fuzzin out the colors right now.

no photos, all hand painted... well there's a metal photo underlaid beneath all the paint

there's not spec on this yet, just a phong or something from max so that explains the wierd glossyness
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • Psixos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was nothing much wrong with the original texture imho. The only minor things that stand out to me is that some of the wear and scratches seem a little misplaced and the paint's too clean for the amount of wear it appears to have endured. The original colour scheme is good, in my opinion the monotone colour in the paintover would not work so well and the actual machine could use a little more identity.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I was pleasantly surprised by the texture. I was expecting another overly-dark rust noisy mess. I really like the white enameled look.

I think a bit more thought could be given to the wear and tear - i'm not sure what kind of environment this is in or if it's regularly dragged across the floor on it's face... especially towards the top of the machine, you got a little over zealous, with huge swathes of unmotivated paint missing all over the place.

So I'd definitely keep the direction and material choices, just apply them more subtly and intelligently.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, I've slightly rushed through the process, and didn't take the time yet to make sense out of the ear and tear.

I think I'm liking the direction of the paints and all so I'm gonna stick with it now, but go back and re work the damage. Considering this portion of the machine is elevated off of the ground, I'll probably cut the paint wear way back.

thanks for the looks everyone, Thanks ae. for the good info too!

roger that on the nonsensical wear and tear. agreed! will fix!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    this is pretty neat, maybe seems like its trying too hard to be controversial but whatever its a cool idea. I like the original texture, the glossyness looks neat, like a shellac of some sort. I agree there is way to much random wear, plus given that this is the source of their power wouldnt it probably be hidden somewhere safe? right now it looks like it take a daily stream of gunfire to the face :P

Im looking forward to the end result dude, just tone down the damage a bit and it should look great. also, maybe play with some iridecants in the spec to add some cool otherwordly elements to the metal, resistance did a good job of this on their machines.

I think the color sceme is dope, helps it pop, especially for such an important item in the game world. the monotone version in the paintover looks cool but it would be more fitting as a background machine that ties more into an overall environment, I totally agreee with the color to make such an important piece stand out and read well.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    to rough booth in shape and texture to me,- needs more refinement
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I seriously cannot read anything within your texture. It is fighting against some of the design elements that you had from your highpoly ( which needs to be defined more, and have some varied edges..to many soft and bending shapes ) If you are going to go with some of your texture, bring in some different values ( dark greys and cool colors ) as now you have high whites and to many warms. Also get a base specular on your object to help bring down the overall blown feel, and have only the parts you want to shine do that. Last thing I might suggest is that if you are going to show your work, just have a basic grey on your object ( hipoly ) so people can read your shapes better, instead of some odd brown and blue with a metal gloss to cover up the areas that can be helped. Before you continue with the texture, just take some shots of the object in grey and in photoshop try a few color workovers so you don't have to change things on your object.

Spark
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    sweeeeet , i like it! like other have said, a little more thought into structure and how this baby actually works would sell it nicely! Right now, i cant realy tell how its moving ect ect, its just a jumble of machine panels. I like the colors!

Here is a prop i made (semi similar) that might help show what i mean.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/stimpack/maiden.jpg
    (concept wasnt mine)

im loving how motivated you are! your gonna go places man.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man great idea for a piece, lovin it. i imagine cross shaped christ rays coming from it...evangelion anyone? ok enough love down to the gritty stuff, while the overall form of it is awesome, i like how it looms over, and i could totally imagine a character approaching it in a sequence similar to the jenova sepheroth cutscene where he pulls the mask off. There are some problems.

first of all the cross shaped piece which i assume is housing the body, dosnt have anything except the shape to distinguish it from the rest of the mechanism which makes it a bit confusing. try changeing your texture up a bit to draw the eye towards that focal point

also the yello and black warning marks across the front of the cross shaped part dont make sense to me those are typically used as a "danger zone" marker around weapons so it wouldnt be on the functional part of the weapon at all caus if it fires your dead if you are there regardless. would love to see some concepts of this sucker working/fireing as well. its sooooo cool but also a bit confusing.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    agree with what spark is saying. Can you take some simple soft grey renders to show the model? I'm having troubles even figuring out how it works. The texture is just making it even harder to read.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah, while i think little parts and pieces of the ark are textured well... i have no fucking clue what is going on with the model, lol. Maybe its the angle? Need to worry about the model as a whole! Make the texture accent the mesh, and the mesh accent the texture.

Did you hide pieces of the original mesh in the textured wip version?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i think you rnormal map isnt reading particullaly well either, there seams to be alot of little smoothing errors which are causing the shapes to be hard to read, and the diffuse aint helping
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thank you guys so much for all of the feedback, all of it is great advice and well appreciated.

I've decided that I'm not happy at all with the texture... too much damage of the wrong kind in the wrong places... indeed, the proceedural spec is eating away all the detail right now, and my ambient occlusion was flattening the thing out too mcuh.

So,, gonna scrap what I got so far, and post some new stuff soon. In the meantime, here's the wireframe and normals... this is still in a stage where I can fix this too so crits on this would be also very appreciated. I've got some errors on there to fix (bottom of the base has a big ol' wierd shadow, symmetry seams etc.

Thanks again for everything people!

arkwires.jpg

5800 polycount
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I think the shape of the cross-like thing on the front doesn't read well enough. You should emphasize the cross. It's an awesome model, but it doesn't say 'holy' or 'christ' anywhere. In fact, the pointy edges along the top say the exact opposite.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Since they're harvesting the power of Jesus I would expect the makers of this machine to at least give it a nice paint job and some occasional maintenance. The rusty look doesn't work well with the story, unless he's been dumped.
    The whole "jesus inside" part needs to be understood easier, so maybe some ornamentation, symbols or decoration on the sarcophagus would help convey that.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, agreed. last night i finished the unwrap and normals and just opened up photoshop and started painting wrecklessly. I was just really anxious to get some paint on it and see how it held up.

realized very quickly that the damage was not placed correctly, and in fact, probably shouldn't be very damaged at all.

I'm in the process of re-working the texture as we speak. i think I'll show more 'worn paint' and much less 'chipped off paint'.

I'm also going to reconsider the color palette.

So far, I've just reworked some colors here, and reduced the damage, but ultimately, I'm going to scrap the whole thing and start new once I get a color pallette that I like.
    arknewcolors.jpg
    suggestions from here? disgregard small normal errors, I see 'em :P workin on that too
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get rid of the orange 'hell' colors, and use light shades of blue and white. Have the the cross on the body 'chamber' stand out with it's own color, and maybe glow to show off the 'light' of christ, or the holy power.

christlightuz0.gif
    w227.png
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Daaark wrote: »
    Get rid of the orange 'hell' colors, and use light shades of blue and white. Have the the cross on the body 'chamber' stand out with it's own color, and maybe glow to show off the 'light' of christ, or the holy power.

christlightuz0.gif
    w227.png

i like this paint over, i also really dislike the orange! hues of blue with a white illimination would be awesome!

keep going man your finishing alot quickly! did you read that tutorial i posted alot of good information in there also check this one out also:

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=22
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There should be light pouring out of every crack.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    White/red/gray would be a nice color palette considering the particular subject. Different accents in blues might also be nice...but I think a simplified palette like that would be nicer than those harsh browns/oranges. Your original color choices were pretty close to it...but you added the construction type areas(the yellow and black bars) I think really threw it off.

Edit:
    And I also think, these areas should be glass/clear for light emitting as others have said.
    paintoverht7.jpg
    my.php?image=paintoverht7.jpg
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    IMAH FIRIN MAH JESUS!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i know you prolly don't wanna go back to the model part and wanna continue with the texture, but seems that your normals are a bit wobbly and bubbly.

Circled some areas I thought that could use some work. Maybe try giving your low poly mesh some more love.

ark.jpg
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FANTASTIC feedback everyone thank you so much!

It is, FRiday night and time for the beer drinkzingz, but tomorrow afternoon I'll have some reworks to post and most definitely major updates, possible completion by monday.

thank you again everyone!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    There should be light pouring out of every crack.

newarkcolorscheme-1.jpg
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's great, but the cross gets lost in it.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooh, cortana!

cool, but daark has a good point.

holler!
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking about it while watching random crap on tv. You need light and halos. There could be a half arc that links both the extreme edges of the machine (those legs of whatever) and that could symbolize the halo. Like a light field contained by some metal arc.

But as long as the cross shape comes through loud and clear, and you aren't using dark, warm, evil colors, it should be fine.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't be so fast to discard the warmer colors. In the bible, amber symbolizes the glory of God, gold reflects the immortality of the divine, red symbolizes life and/or bloodshed and scarlet often refers to blood atonement and sacrifice. All of these colors are pertinent to his design and are not necessarily 'hell colors'.

I think keeping it all white/blue will leave it feeling cold and cliche'd sci-fi.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so fast to discard the warmer colors. In the bible, amber symbolizes the glory of God, gold reflects the immortality of the divine, red symbolizes life and/or bloodshed and scarlet often refers to blood atonement and sacrifice. All of these colors are pertinent to his design and are not necessarily 'hell colors'.

I think keeping it all white/blue will leave it feeling cold and cliche'd sci-fi.

Agreed, that's why I said red and white should be pretty prominent colors in the palette. Orange is about as much of the red I would drop down to though. I'm not too keen on the browns and yellows unless you're doing a dirt map at the bottom or something.

Also, with all that light, I think it might be a bit overdone. As said, the "cross" needs to be the centerpiece I would think, so it should have more pop than the rest. That's kinda what I had in mind when I posted the picture with areas on the "cross" painted red, for glass/light emission.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agreed with Sectaurs the incandesence on the cracks is a nice idea, something that might be better kept for an animation of it fireing tho? like a powering up type deal, also i dont agree with the glow at the fireing point of the cross, seems like it would destroy any kind of detail that you have there, and i dont feel like it would aid to the overall look to have a big washed out ball right at your focal point. something like that would best be kept for an animation, also i feel like the hailo suggestion could be sweet for the animation as well, like the exhaust from the shot is some intricate glowing coencetric rings, could be neat.

-woog
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update:

I did some thinking and discussed the idea with some comrades. We agreed that the red color scheme would in fact be a good idea. After all, the Knights Templar sported some big mean red crosses on their tunics, and were the fabled defenders of some undisclosed Christian relic.

Sectaurs stated the cool blue grey would end up looking sci-fi cliche, and I think he's absolutely right, especially after I experimented with a few cool color schemes.

So here's a new paintup with just some base color to get an idea of the direction I'll be taking.

arknewcolors1-1.jpg

thanks again for all the attention and feedback for my piece. It's going to be a much better work in the end because of you all.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the red is far too demonic a colour scheme
    go yellow or light blue, or some other light colour that u'd associate with the sky
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there might be a bit too much red here right now and I'll work it out as i go along, but I'm pretty sure I'll stay with it. I don't really beleive red is demonic. Red is POWERFUL and symbolic of power. Here's my justification for the red color.

red-cardinals-stanfield-21008-ga.jpg

I will add more color variation as I work along. :P
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not religious, but the subject interests me. I think this is a good discussion around your piece here. I don't mean for this to get off topic, just my interpretation of the color scheme.

If you look at the pictures you posted, you were right. Red is used as a color of POWER, but not the color of God, which is rays of light.

The pictures you posted are pictures of people draped in red who are more interested in using the name of God to further their own interests.

When I look at the first picture, I see a group of old men who are part of an organization that tried to rule the whole world by sending armies in to invade everyone in the name of god, convert them to their religion, and make the pope the ruler of the world. I also see a group of people that burned women at the stake, and tried to hold back all forms of human advancement so that they could be the source of all information.

In the second picture I see a soldier and doves. The doves are a symbol of peace, but this man is a crusader. He invades civilizations, and converts their citizens at the tip of his blade. So in the end he spreads the word of god and those who pretend to speak on behalf of the almighty are the rulers of the now conquered and converted civilization.

In the third picture. The man is holding a WHITE cross. The only real religious symbol there. He is another so called soldier of god, but the red crosses on his gear look more like a symbol of someone who spills blood in the name of the lord, but like the man in picture 2, the only cause he advances is establishing and maintaining the POWER of the men in the first picture.

Here is a real godly image. A baptism. It's blue for water, and the white for the light that shines down from the heavens, and from behind the heads of anyone that is good and holy. The man was not about power and rage, he was about peace and purity. He doesn't extend a sword, he extends his hand.
    Jesus-Baptized-07.jpg

Your new WIP looks great, but it looks like a very evil machine. The spikes are using long pointy lines, used in art to denote scary people / places, or the badguys. And the color scheme makes it look like some kind of Nazi war invention, or something demonic. Even that red glowing cross looks very evil. :poly122:

edit:

Also, how would you color the opposing forces or machine if you are already using their colors? Your machine looks and feels so demonic, it would be hard to stylistically tell it apart from the bad guy's imagery.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only truly "demonic" power is black. Black/shadow was always associated with evil in any religious books that I have read. I'm not heavily religious, but as stated above I have an interest in learning. Red is the symbolic avenue of blood, and blood symbolizes devotion/love/royalty in many ways. So to argue red as being "demonic" generally passes the idea that you are basing all your ideas off the little red nymph devil seen in cartoons.

Oddly enough, if you're interested...the serpent in the Garden of Eden that tempted Eve was bronze. So bronze would be a "demonic" color.
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not religious, but the subject interests me. I think this is a good discussion around your piece here. I don't mean for this to get off topic, just my interpretation of the color scheme.

If you look at the pictures you posted, you were right. Red is used as a color of POWER, but not the color of God, which is rays of light.

The pictures you posted are pictures of people draped in red who are more interested in using the name of God to further their own interests.

When I look at the first picture, I see a group of old men who are part of an organization that tried to rule the whole world by sending armies in to invade everyone in the name of god, convert them to their religion, and make the pope the ruler of the world. I also see a group of people that burned women at the stake, and tried to hold back all forms of human advancement so that they could be the source of all information.

In the second picture I see a soldier and doves. The doves are a symbol of peace, but this man is a crusader. He invades civilizations, and converts their citizens at the tip of his blade. So in the end he spreads the word of god and those who pretend to speak on behalf of the almighty are the rulers of the now conquered and converted civilization.

In the third picture. The man is holding a WHITE cross. The only real religious symbol there. He is another so called soldier of god, but the red crosses on his gear look more like a symbol of someone who spills blood in the name of the lord, but like the man in picture 2, the only cause he advances is establishing and maintaining the POWER of the men in the first picture.

Here is a real godly image. A baptism. It's blue for water, and the white for the light that shines down from the heavens, and from behind the heads of anyone that is good and holy. The man was not about power and rage, he was about peace and purity. He doesn't extend a sword, he extends his hand.
    Jesus-Baptized-07.jpg

Your new WIP looks great, but it looks like a very evil machine. The spikes are using long pointy lines, used in art to denote scary people / places, or the badguys. And the color scheme makes it look like some kind of Nazi war invention, or something demonic. Even that red glowing cross looks very evil. :poly122:

edit:

Also, how would you color the opposing forces or machine if you are already using their colors? Your machine looks and feels so demonic, it would be hard to stylistically tell it apart from the bad guy's imagery.
    Who's to say that the people harvesting the powers of jesus to power a weapon aren't the badguys? ya Jesus is in that chamber, but does that make whomever is using his power a pious entity? unless I missed him clarify on the alignment of the makers of this machine I could see this going either way. I say stick with the Colors you have now.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Medestruit wrote: »
    :thumbup:
    Quaggs wrote: »
    :thumbup:

Both fair points. I had assumed that the people using his machine would be using it for pure good, maybe that's not the case. :)
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol okay i didnt mean the red on its own
    i shouldnt post crits on low sleep

okay here's some focussed bit of criticism: [keep in mind that im an atheist, so i dont have any religious inclination in wat i say, just the knowledge from having read the bible, koran, torah etc and other info from research]

the shade of red used is not really like the red in the english flag etc it might be ur lighting, or my monitor, but the dark shade of maroon red is very foreboding. if 'shadow' is the true evil, then u picked a very shadowy shade of red. also, the glowing cross looks a lot like a glow from, say, a very deep crack in the ground

also, the spikes at the top of ur machine are very reminiscent of horns imho.

@quaags:
    unfortunately, u have to consider that if jesus was to be 'the bad guy', his 'colour scheme' wouldnt change so to speak.
    taking ur point into consideration, why should colour determine allegiance to good / evil? if simply being 'jesus' doesnt imply 'good'... then why should 'dark red' imply evil?
    jesus is jesus. i would suppose the light blue / white depicts his image, like daaark suggested. now if this is evil jesus, then those same colours would have to be used, but 'evil' would still need to be depicted.

hope i made sense!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol okay, it's probably time for me to explain the story a bit more.

the basic idea goes like this; the shifting of two realities has begun. A complete and separate reality apart from our own is merging with the one we exist in. During this shift, our universe was ravaged by its new inhabitants. Our God was unable to smite the invading force, for they were not of his own creation. They had their own creator. God came to his human creation and sacrificed himself to his children once more, so that this time they may use raw power in the material realm against those that seek to destroy our reality.

This is still a rough idea, not completely fleshed out. But, it helps you see that there is kindof two sides of the story here. The machine itself is an instrument of war, and has a very striking image. In a sense, the machine is sort of a prison, a crucifix, a war machine and our only salvation all at the same time. I'm trying to capture that essence in its design, using bold design and color choices. It's a heavy idea, so I'm giving it heavy imagery.

I don't intend for this piece to be controversial, or to portray any religions in poor light. I look at it like a story to create some cool environments based around.

Yes the dark shadowy red takes your head immediately to blood. In essence, remember that this machine is essentially the blood of human salvation in this story. Not to mention, it's kindof like medical equipment and I think the red cross sells that little nugget too ;P

Here's a texture update: still no spec yet btw.

arknewcolors2.jpg

Oh, I didn't mention the spikey antennae on top of the machine. They are antennae but I imagined them as a crown of thorns.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I'm thinkin' it needs one of those blood bags you see in hospitals stuck to the side of the jesus casket with a tube flowing inside. Also, one of those electronic heart monitors would go a long way to jazzing up the vehicle.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    too much red. it should be an accent color.

and just to throw this into the discussion: Blue was Lucifer's color. lulz!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again agreed withs secaturs, now the colorscheme looks more demoinc with the heavy dark red, i think the version u had prior was a good one, didnt dig the red on the cross tho i think the light from the machine should still be pure white or mabye with some gold, not red red light has negative connotations, lust/eerie, not what your going for from what i gather, i think that version with the red trim toned down a good bit would be nice much closer to templar colors, their tunics were mostly white about 10% red try and follow that scheme it could be a gread refrence to the past since it seems this thing will be used in a "Future Crusade".

Also concidering the templar colors, thier dogma would totally support using a relic as a weapon. they are the guys who used to have giant gem encrusted crosses dragged into battle with them to intimidate and inspire awe in the enemy. good refrence for ya, watch Kingdom of Heaven, the plot is false, but the cross they carry in battle is a direct refrence to the templars irl.\

best of luck on your revisions!

-Woog
  • misterboogie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    misterboogie polycounter lvl 11
    I'm afraid that you kinda jumped the gun on this piece.

A little more work during the conception phase of this object would have really helped out and now you're feeling the pain.

This object is supposed to carry the body of Christ? But it is very difficult to even understand what it is that I am looking at. Someone looking at this should be able to tell what it is in a few seconds without reading the thread. This is why profile thumbs were created. If you can't tell what it is in black and white then it's a no go.

The only way that I can see that you can help viewers relate to what this is, ...is in the texture. Bathing this thing in red like you've done doesn't give us a clue that Christ is inside. Regular people equate red to the devil, evil, etc.. White and gold colors are usually more "Heavenly".

I know you're a very talented artistic guy, you just have to dumb it down and make it simple for the rest of us retards out there.

Hope this helps, ps. I hope your Unearthly Challenge entry wins! My fav entry!!
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    indian_boy wrote: »
    lol okay i didnt mean the red on its own
    i shouldnt post crits on low sleep

okay here's some focussed bit of criticism: [keep in mind that im an atheist, so i dont have any religious inclination in wat i say, just the knowledge from having read the bible, koran, torah etc and other info from research]

the shade of red used is not really like the red in the english flag etc it might be ur lighting, or my monitor, but the dark shade of maroon red is very foreboding. if 'shadow' is the true evil, then u picked a very shadowy shade of red. also, the glowing cross looks a lot like a glow from, say, a very deep crack in the ground

also, the spikes at the top of ur machine are very reminiscent of horns imho.

@quaags:
    unfortunately, u have to consider that if jesus was to be 'the bad guy', his 'colour scheme' wouldnt change so to speak.
    taking ur point into consideration, why should colour determine allegiance to good / evil? if simply being 'jesus' doesnt imply 'good'... then why should 'dark red' imply evil?
    jesus is jesus. i would suppose the light blue / white depicts his image, like daaark suggested. now if this is evil jesus, then those same colours would have to be used, but 'evil' would still need to be depicted.

hope i made sense!

You made sense, but I'm not so sure you understood what I was saying. I wasn't saying Jesus was evil, I was implying that whomever is in charge of this weapon might not necessarily be good, you know the old cliche of something invented for the good of mankind being used for evil, that kind of thing. but now that Pope Adam explained his idea more, Alignment isn't so much of an issue.

I still say keep the red, and find a way to make it work.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh okay i get you now quaggs
    in that way, i suppose the dark colours are justified.

and just a little crit:
    if ur gonna keep this colour scheme, then i agree about the glow from the cross. avoid that being red.

and i ddnt know blue was lucifer's colour. that's some pretty interesting piece of knowledge.

btw: maybe just for crit's sake, u should stick with 3-point, all white lights? heck, maybe even 100 self illumination, cuz the colour scheme seems to be a bone of contention at the moment...

good luck with the piece
    its an interesting idea and all!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason it reminds of me the Meta Knight from kirby. I think you lost the sense of scale somewhere along the line, and it's looking more like an anthropomorphic sort of thing than a large machine. Also, the shapes all seem a bit blobby to me, and the texture does nothing to battle that.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still taking in to consideration everyone's comments and critiques and will surely be revising the Ark machine more as I continue with my project, but for now I have to continue moving on to the next section, which is the Harvestor. It's hooked up to the Ark, and actually processes the energy created within.

MightyPea, I think I lost the scale as well, and I believe I lost it in the texture. The Meta-Knight thing... I think that I've overdone the saturation level of the red color, which gives it an almost cartoony look. I think I'm gonna drop out a lot of color saturation here, or at least be more sparse with it. I'll be going in after some desaturation and adding in some secondary colors on the paints - right now they don't have much at all and I think that is what is making it look 'cartoony' and kindof flat... which destroys the scale.

I'll work on it over the holiday. I hope everyone enjoys the long weekend (in the states anyway :P )

thanks for all the crits everyone, keep it coming :P
    ADM

Early WIP shown here.
    skylightJpeg.jpg

and a quick slap together with the Ark
    WIP03.jpg
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice keep going!