Home General Discussion

Mighty Hello for everyone

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
spookyruthy polycounter lvl 8
There doesn't appear to be an introduction thread here, so I'll drop a short-lived thread down here to make my greetings.

Hi.

Currently listening to the Psychonauts soundtrack while doing some Actionscript work and so I am in a weird state of bliss. Ah, the wonders of procrastination.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actionscript bliss... craziness!

and welcome =)
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to the Green and Black space station.
    Coffee and cookies on tap.

Watch out for the bears.......
    and I'm not talking about the mammal..
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    welcome aboard. Damn, I haven't touched actionscript for about 4 years now :/
  • spookyruthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    welcome aboard. Damn, I haven't touched actionscript for about 4 years now :/

I can understand why. You might as well just go and learn FLEX or Java. I'm only doing this as a favour for a friend.

Python is my weapon of choice.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm all over the map as far as languages go. I call myself the jack of trades, master of none for programming. I've worked with basic, VB, C#, C++, actionscript, Java, ASP, HTML, Javascript, PHP, and XMl. I have a python cookbook next to me right now that I want to start learning.
    I worked with Actionscript 5, which is very old now, but it was such a pain because it never had the abilities to match your imagination, which I think is really limiting for a web program. I know things have improved, but I think there are still many limits.
    Good Luck ;)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    hello!

i still need to properly learn python... i poke it now and then but it never seems to respond
  • spookyruthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    hello!

i still need to properly learn python... i poke it now and then but it never seems to respond

I think that's sort of what I like about Python. It doesn't typically get all in your face over compiler errors and has an odd tendency to sort itself out (which is very interesting if you wanted it to display something and what it displays is not what you were expecting at all).

Python takes your suggestions and interprets them loosely - like the pot smoker of programming languages.

"You want this to be an object? OK, man. Sure. I'll put this here for ya. Don't worry, it doesn't matter what object - I know what you mean."

When I get some time I'll dig out some of my old Python work to show you exactly what I mean.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Lists - the equal opportunity data type. :P
  • spookyruthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    Lists - the equal opportunity data type. :P

Ahahahhaa :) Fellow Python programmer here :)

I'm currently trying to get my teeth into C++ but I seriously lack the time to do anything other than the work I have on my plate at the moment.

Also, Ruby on Rails is quite a high priority for me to.

So not too ambitious then.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    welcome to the spaceship!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Uh hi

I'm personally picking up a little bit of MEL and Maxscript, going in a slight change of direction doesn't hurt.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, more technical artists on Polycount eh? I have to warn you, don't give into requests for maxscripts or anything, or you'll be forever tainted as 'that guy I can use to turn *app of choice* into *app of dreams*'

Joking aside, I think a lot of us really appreciate the presence of the technically-minded on here, as the purely right-brainers among us can often use someone to explain the left-brain stuff to us in human terms, heh.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    welcome.

you'll never make it out of here alive <3
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea wrote: »
    'that guy I can use to turn *app of choice* into *app of dreams*'

or "that girl", i guess
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP: hah, ofcourse. It's just that, on polycount I'd feel sort of silly saying 'guy or girl' every time, given the astronomically small chance the 'or girl'-bit will actually be applicable. Ofcourse, whenever it is applicable, odds are I'll know because everyone in the thread in question is falling over themselves to post something which they think will charm her into falling head over heels in love with said person.

Which is also astronomically unlikely, mind, but try telling them that.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I'm currently trying to get my teeth into C++ but I seriously lack the time to do anything other than the work I have on my plate at the moment.
    I recently dumped C++ like a bad habit and moved everything over to C#.

I was really starting to hate the language. New ways of doing the same things are constantly going in and out of fashion every year. The data types are a mess, because everyone and their mother is using their own versions of the same basic data types, making you have to write conversion code to cast a cstring to a stl string to a monkeys_uncle_string just because you need to use a few libraries together. And all the new features are using horrible looking syntax that makes everything harder to parse for the human reader.

C# ended up being exactly what I wanted, a simpler C++. Especially since all the things you'd ever want to do are included as one big system library, all done in the same style and documented in the same place. It's a huge productivity boost, and has made programming fun for me again.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Ofcourse, whenever it is applicable, odds are I'll know because everyone in the thread in question is falling over themselves to post something which they think will charm her into falling head over heels in love with said person.

That doesnt really work here... try the world of warcraft forums.
  • spookyruthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP: hah, ofcourse. It's just that, on polycount I'd feel sort of silly saying 'guy or girl' every time, given the astronomically small chance the 'or girl'-bit will actually be applicable. Ofcourse, whenever it is applicable, odds are I'll know because everyone in the thread in question is falling over themselves to post something which they think will charm her into falling head over heels in love with said person.

For future reference: Turn down all proposals of marriage.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    he's just cranky because they dont allow cameras in holland.
    ps
    hello
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I've never received such a mighty hello before!

Good day to you, sir!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    welcome!

do you want to marry me?

hehe.
  • spookyruthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir wrote: »
    welcome!

do you want to marry me?

hehe.

That sounds like a splendid idea! Wait, I made a reference specifically to combat this situation.

I mean no! Never!
  • spookyruthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I've never received such a mighty hello before!

Good day to you, sir!

I'm glad I was able to be the first one to give you such a mighty hello :)