Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

diablo 3 inspired enviroment

hi guys, this is my first post here, and i wanted to show the new enviroment i just completed, my diablo 3 room! critiques and compliments are greatly appreciated :)

josh

render01.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    a few quick things:

1) Your render is blurry. Until you post a clean shot, you're not going to get quality feedback.

2) Centerpiece is illusion-breakingly polygonal. This day and age, round better be round. Especially considering your three arches are.

3) AO bake lighting pass. It's a must for classy presentation.

4) Highlights on floor and wall bright too thick. This makes your textures appear muddy and low resolution. Pixel detail. Each one is important.

5) Textures too green. It'd be something if this were the lighting, but those babies are high saturation to a fault.

6) Floor modeling work. You need small height changes, bricks popped out here and there, etc.

Overall, it's an ok start, and you can get it where it needs to be. Study those D3 shots.
  • torontoanimator
    cholden wrote: »
    a few quick things:

1) Your render is blurry. Until you post a clean shot, you're not going to get quality feedback.

2) Centerpiece is illusion-breakingly polygonal. This day and age, round better be round. Especially considering your three arches are.

3) AO bake lighting pass. It's a must for classy presentation.

4) Highlights on floor and wall bright too thick. This makes your textures appear muddy and low resolution. Pixel detail. Each one is important.

5) Textures too green. It'd be something if this were the lighting, but those babies are high saturation to a fault.

6) Floor modeling work. You need small height changes, bricks popped out here and there, etc.

Overall, it's an ok start, and you can get it where it needs to be. Study those D3 shots.

thanks for being brutally honest. I do plan on doing an AO pass, just gotta figure out how lol as for the green, i do have a green world light, a friend of mine who did a d3 level did the same and, well i felt like it gives the authentic dungeonesque feeling. Thank you though, i do plan on using this as a point to improve from :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good start as said. one more thing I would mention is the proportions of everything, get something in there to represent a person and check their size in relation to the tables, the book case the candles, the size of the texture on the floor etc, it seems like the scale is a bit inconsistent, not bad but it just looks a bit off to me.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Good poitn on the green lighting. I see where you're coming from the the dungeon-esque look fo the green lighting, and it's good that you're thinking about things like that, but it might just be a little toooo green.

Your textures are hand painted? If so, you're on the right track. I think you cna kick up the detail on it a bit more, get in there and really get more bang for your buck out of your textures.

I think you can use a bit more geometry in here. Just my opinion.

Are you planning on lighting those candles with little particle emitter effects? I think it would help sell the scene a lot more. Also consider that candles (your primary source of light in this room) creates a more reddish glow, and would eat away at the green overlighting. Red and green are complimentary colors of course, however I usually find them ugly together (christmas colors) perhaps replace your green lighting with a damp cool blue light, I think it would still hold the dungeon-like-feel.

It's very clean in this dungeon. Add some dirt, spiderwebs. Make a little spiderweb alpha that you could repeat in different areas such as corners, arches and off of the candle holders.

I think you've got a really nice looking start here, and a very unified concept... it's well on it's way to fitting right in to the Diablo universe in my opinion. Put some more work in to the detailing and lighting and you'll have yourself a very cool set. thumbs up man!
  • sama.van
  • torontoanimator
    Pope Adam wrote: »
    Good poitn on the green lighting. I see where you're coming from the the dungeon-esque look fo the green lighting, and it's good that you're thinking about things like that, but it might just be a little toooo green.

Your textures are hand painted? If so, you're on the right track. I think you cna kick up the detail on it a bit more, get in there and really get more bang for your buck out of your textures.

I think you can use a bit more geometry in here. Just my opinion.

Are you planning on lighting those candles with little particle emitter effects? I think it would help sell the scene a lot more. Also consider that candles (your primary source of light in this room) creates a more reddish glow, and would eat away at the green overlighting. Red and green are complimentary colors of course, however I usually find them ugly together (christmas colors) perhaps replace your green lighting with a damp cool blue light, I think it would still hold the dungeon-like-feel.

It's very clean in this dungeon. Add some dirt, spiderwebs. Make a little spiderweb alpha that you could repeat in different areas such as corners, arches and off of the candle holders.

I think you've got a really nice looking start here, and a very unified concept... it's well on it's way to fitting right in to the Diablo universe in my opinion. Put some more work in to the detailing and lighting and you'll have yourself a very cool set. thumbs up man!

you brought up a point that i actually wanted to ask about, the alpha spiderwebs, i wanted to do them, and curtains too, except the method i was taught for creating the alpha textures didnt work in photoshop :( can you give me a short explanation? id really appreciate it!