Home General Discussion

New Star Trek movie trailer

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Ferg polycounter lvl 17
!!!!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/large_trailer2.html

Looks awesome, but will it still feel like star trek? Looks like he's really hollywoodifying it... cant wait to find out

Replies

• Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    waaah sylar is the guy with the braids and the ears! hehe
    looks pretty cool, we'll see where this goes :D.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, actually looks pretty cool. I grew up watching Star Trek everyday with my grandpa, and I think he'd be happy to see this if he weren't in heaven now complaining about black people being on wheel of fortune. He was from a different time, don't judge him. lol
  • [Deleted User]
    Looks like Kirk and Spock jumped into spaceships right out of high school
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    That's not Star Trek. . .

And WHY THE FUCK is Kirk driving a 1960's convertible off of a fucking cliff!?
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    That's not Star Trek. . .

And WHY THE FUCK is Kirk driving a 1960's convertible off of a fucking cliff!?
    It's Star Trek. Having watched every thing Star Trek, this doesn't surprise or outrage me the least :poly124: It's Kirk.

Oh yeah, and I think this is going to be pretty good.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome. Love what JJ did with Mission Impossible, can't wait to see how this one turns out. Trailer looks good to me though.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I have never cared about Star Trek in the least, but this looks awesome.

Although, if JJ Abrams made Sister Act 4, I'd probably see that too.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    If anyone is gonna give Star Trek the kick in the ass it needs to really feel great and revamped, it's JJ Abrams, I've been watching the movies and shows since I was little and it has definitely been needing a fresh coat of paint.
  • Saidin311
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I can agree with the revamp. But this is not Star Trek. They should have called it something else.

The original teaser gave an impression that it would be a little less "lets drive cars over cliffs". I can already see that half the movie is going to be a parallel story between little kirk and little spock growing up worlds away only to team up on man's first mission into space.. The last half of the movie is going to be about the fact that space is a mean place and we need to fire some lasers.

It also seems like there's no regard for the timeline.

It's sad that the last few Trek movies were dumbed down so much that they had to "switch to manual mode" for some excitement. But this revamp doesn't seem in any way like a Trek movie.

JJ has me hooked, but I'm setting aside what little fondness I have for the Trek franchise and just going to see this movie about space people fighting space aliens instead.

Oh and also, it's incredible how typecast Sylar is after seeing this teaser. I doubt that actor will ever break out of that Sylar image.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So as someone who's more or less unfamiliar with Star Trek beyond the parodies on Futurama and The Simpsons, how much screen time is Simon Pegg likely to get?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Scotty? About 1/2 as much As Sulu.

Saidin - what about Batman Begins and Dark Knight? No regard for timeline that's already occurred. But those two movies were far superior to the previous ones (imo) and damned good regardless. With Star Trek (notice no post-title name) is like a reboot of the franchise, a passing of the torch. If this does well, JJ will likely no more Trek movies with the same cast, starting anew. While it will never replace the Wrath of Khan for example, it's a breath of fresh air that the franchise was in dire need of. With soo many versions of StarTrek (DS9, TNG, Voyager and on and on), the forumla was getting a little boring. Abrams will bring a good amount of realism and drama to the usual sappy performances.
  • Saidin311
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    Scotty? About 1/2 as much As Sulu.

Saidin - what about Batman Begins and Dark Knight? No regard for timeline that's already occurred. But those two movies were far superior to the previous ones (imo) and damned good regardless. With Star Trek (notice no post-title name) is like a reboot of the franchise, a passing of the torch. If this does well, JJ will likely no more Trek movies with the same cast, starting anew. While it will never replace the Wrath of Khan for example, it's a breath of fresh air that the franchise was in dire need of. With soo many versions of StarTrek (DS9, TNG, Voyager and on and on), the forumla was getting a little boring. Abrams will bring a good amount of realism and drama to the usual sappy performances.

Firstly, I liked the original Tim Burton world just as much as the "realistic" world created from the new movies. Arguably the worlds are completely different takes on what was originally a multiple version comic. Graphic Novels and hardcore comics weren't a big thing back in 89-90. So Tim Burton's world was stylistically on target with the original comics and tv show.

As far as being done well, it will be done well in so far as new technologies, production values, budget etc. A lot of remakes are 'better' simply because the explosions are visually better. People of this new generation, even intellectuals can appreciate the older movies. But some of the new remakes are simply better because of their production values. Although I expect to get a lot of backlash for saying something like that.

As far as the timeline goes. I don't necessarily have a problem if they break the format, or timeline. But Star Trek has always been about "saving whales" to use an insulting cliche. It just seems to me that the ideals behind the original series (since this is what its based on) are completely lost in expensive effects and "resetting plotlines". Roddenberry's characters were never really flawed. They were flawed against the Prime Directive (besides Kirk being the ladies man). Which is why Trek has always been "wimpy" compared to Star Wars or others. I don't have a problem with reintroducing character flaws, making these guys bad ass and blowing up some star ships. The revamp should come from the stories, not by blowing up starships and throwing cars off cliffs (can you guess I'm already hating that scene in the movie? hah).

I should also say that I'm not the biggest Trek fan. I really liked TNG but that was ages ago. I'm more against these blown up (literally) resets of movies. JJ is a great story teller and director and producer. I would rather him tell new stories (or even give us a cloverfield 2) than get paid big hollywood money to revamp old news.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    it's like muppet babies: everyone's there, only younger. this appeals to me! i hope they have some pop singer make an appearance in the holo-deck
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    getting promoted to captain must be pretty easy in this universe. What, do you get a promotion every 3 months after graduation in this star trek?

I wonder if the movie has anyone over 30 in it.
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Leonard Nimoy is almost 80, I think.
  • spyrewolf
    getting promoted to captain must be pretty easy in this universe. What, do you get a promotion every 3 months after graduation in this star trek?

Nope they pop you in a red sweater beam you on to a planet if you make it back the job is yours. :p

i've always had a dislike for the campfest that was star trek, but this movie may get me to see it, i'm liking the look of it, i have heard that fanboys of the series are not to happy about spock goin ape....
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    well, looks like my questions were answered: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7722407.stm

Note: Slight Spoilers. Less than you might read in a movie review.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Saidin311 wrote: »
    Oh and also, it's incredible how typecast Sylar is after seeing this teaser. I doubt that actor will ever break out of that Sylar image.
    how is sylar anything like spock? unless spock is also a serial killer
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    it's like muppet babies: everyone's there, only younger. this appeals to me! i hope they have some pop singer make an appearance in the holo-deck

Star Trek didn't get holodecks until the Nest Generation w/ Picard.

Meh, I'm holding out hope for it. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
  • Mark Dygert
    Slum wrote: »
    I have never cared about Star Trek in the least, but this looks awesome.

Although, if JJ Abrams made Sister Act 4, I'd probably see that too.

Ha, QFT.

I'm not sure they'll get me out to the theater but I'll probably watch it at some point. Which hasn't happened in the last 3-4 Trek films.
  • Saidin311
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine wrote: »
    how is sylar anything like spock? unless spock is also a serial killer

_45195672_spock1_466.jpg

All he needs to do here is lift his two fingers up and open up the brain. And When I said Sylar is typecast, I meant the actor. He's typecast because it seems no matter what Zachary Quinto does you can always see the sylar in his character.
  • Darth Tomi
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Not a big Trek fan but the trailer got me excited. Reason to look forward to Summer 2009. :)
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    soooorta want... whatever happened to christopher pyke commanding the enterprise before kirk? A little wtf as well with the car scene at the beginning, but kirk was always supposed to be a thrill seeker.

geek mode on...

In the TNG movie generations there was a sequence cut from the shooting script where he does some sort of crazy assed orbital skydiving before going on the enterprise b. Also in ST5.. if you want to consider that pos in the timeline... he is mountain climbing without any safety gear.

/geek

I've sort of sworn off Star Trek and Star Wars.. both have been very meh in the last few years. I'm a huge star gate fan right now though :D
  • Cojax
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I'm looking forward to this. I'm a fan of the original series movies (some where terrible though) and some of the NG series. Like was previously stated this looks like a nice good swift kick in the ass. I just hope they stay true to the characters relationships with one anther. That friendship between three vastly different characters (Spock, Kirk, Bones) was timeless. The characters are what made Star Trek...for me.
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Why do people get hung up on the car? It's not like it's the first time we see 300+ year old vehicles in Star Trek. Lots of characters in this franchise have a fascination with the past (like Tom Paris in Voyager with his big hobby being just that, 20th century cars).
  • [Deleted User]
    Yeah but driving them off cliffs for no apparent reason and then being all indignant and shit just when saying his name, as if he's really proud of himself after some apparently impulsive decision to wreck a likely-expensive antique at no benefit to himself?

I mean the movie might put it into context, but as far as the trailer goes, that was laughable.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18

All he needs to do here is lift his two fingers up and open up the brain. And When I said Sylar is typecast, I meant the actor. He's typecast because it seems no matter what Zachary Quinto does you can always see the sylar in his character.

that's not being typecast, that's being a poor actor with only one character
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    ahah sylar got owned, now all his power is a vulcan neck massage....

sir-knight: they could never remake or improve stargate the way JJ Abrams has doen all these others - it already has the AWESOME factor the others lacked originally - MacGyver......

......he could kick kirks ass any time with only a toothpick and a paperclip
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Kaskad wrote: »
    Yeah but driving them off cliffs for no apparent reason and then being all indignant and shit just when saying his name, as if he's really proud of himself after some apparently impulsive decision to wreck a likely-expensive antique at no benefit to himself?

I mean the movie might put it into context, but as far as the trailer goes, that was laughable.
    Looks more like a young, defiant delinquent Kirk who's stolen someone's old car, being chased by the police, and because he's barely tall enough to look over the wheel he doesn't spot the cliff until it's almost too late, and bails. As for the indignant and shit part, yeah, it's Kirk.. before going to the academy. If he was a bit of a renegade even after graduating, imagine what he was like before.

Really, I think this movie is going to hold a lot of fan service. Maybe it's not 110% canon (what is with all the time traveling anyway?) but it looks like us Trekkies/Trekkers are in for a sweet Star Trek ride.
  • Mister Sentient
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Cojax wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this. I'm a fan of the original series movies (some where terrible though) and some of the NG series. Like was previously stated this looks like a nice good swift kick in the ass. I just hope they stay true to the characters relationships with one anther. That friendship between three vastly different characters (Spock, Kirk, Bones) was timeless. The characters are what made Star Trek...for me.

Ah. You've got to love the chauvenistic male leads of the 60s prancing about the Enterprise bridge in tights and high heel boots. Classic stuff.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    _45195672_spock1_466.jpg

very much agree. even spock as spock has that kinda... apathetic face. showing no emotion, ever. sylar as a character is very empty in terms of emotion, all his moves are methodical and calculated. logical ;)

the similarties are there, and when i watched the trailer i was like "ZOMG SPOCK AM BADASS!"

tbh i was always more of a star wars fan, but i'll be watching this for sure. gotta be better than the prequals, right?
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    actors usually sign contracts for sequels when working on the film just incase. If this is any good and they want a sequel with the same cast, they probably can.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I guess Im probably one of the bigger Trek nerds here as I've got compelling spoilery answers to pretty much all the questions and gripes I've read so far. That said, Im cautiously optimistic about this.
    I've been following the production of this flick pretty avidly since it was announced.

The visual conventions of Star Trek have, in the past, been seriously shackled by the studio. They had lists of types of shots and camera work that "wasnt allowed in the franchise" but with JJ, they just gave him the keys to the kingdom (only caveat being that he couldnt remove any significant characters, and the ship exterior had to remain fairly close to the original) So...should be fun. Should be action-y, and hopefully not too dry as ST can become.

And...Kirk is not the captain in this. He isnt even an Ensign. Pike IS captain of the Enterprise. He's the one in the voiceover.
    ...lets not forget Spock is 1/2 human, and has always had more trouble reigning in his emotions, especially when he was younger.

As for the car...think Ferris Buelers Day Off...red sports car...who owned it...what happend to it... and you'll understand the sequence in the ST trailer. Same thing from what Ive read.
  • Mark Dygert
    Humm I wonder if the car scene actually has more to do with him being pressed into service as some kind of corrections program? Anyone know anything about Kirk's past or how he came to be at the academy?

It seemed like total crap. Just trailer fluff, like "this isnt' your fathers Star Trek" But maybe it has its place...