Home General Discussion

Mirror's Edge

Replies

• o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    For all of you who struggle with the controls; give it some time, I think the game really starts to show once you start to feel confident with it. Its a new type of game so please dont be too harsh. :D
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely give the game a second playthrough, you'll be surprised at how better you perform. Comparing my first game to the second one is like comparing a crawling baby to an olympic runner.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played the demo yesterday. Looked amazing.
    Great style and atmosphere to it. Somehow reminded me of the 'Beyond' animation segment from the animatrix. In style rather than content:)

Need a better memory to take in all the moves though.:(
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    man me and my friends are just playing time trials its so fun trying to beat each others scores :)
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    ae. wrote: »
    man me and my friends are just playing time trials its so fun trying to beat each others scores :)

I think the timetrial part is like a game of its own, more fore the hardcore players. Might seem shallow at the first glance, but there are endless nuances to it.

Im glad you have fun with it. If possible can you give me the #1 times on Edge and Shard 2?
    During development those were my favourite. I cant look for myself since me, hellobuddy and Cubik are on a welldeserved vacation in Tokyo atm. We crunched all through the summer.

Oscar
  • krumpleton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no realtime at all :D

the gi and even the shadows are all baked to a directional lightmap..

Wow, this looks very amazing. So you did radiosity for every light on the indoor levels?
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    o2car wrote: »
    I think the timetrial part is like a game of its own, more fore the hardcore players. Might seem shallow at the first glance, but there are endless nuances to it.

Im glad you have fun with it. If possible can you give me the #1 times on Edge and Shard 2?
    During development those were my favourite. I cant look for myself since me, hellobuddy and Cubik are on a welldeserved vacation in Tokyo atm. We crunched all through the summer.

Oscar

For edge its 00:41.67
    and for shard 2 its 1:00.24

I think Edge is my fav time trial map so far :P
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    It's a really gorgeous-looking game, and I quite enjoy the parkour aspect of it, but right now I'm struggling to bringing myself back into the game after a few hours of gameplay. It feels like I got my share of it, and the story isn't engaging enough to pull me back in.

I love the look of the environment, and the 3D characters, while those 2D/pseudo-3D cutscenes make me cringe a bit. I do like the unforgiving aspect of the gameplay, since you don't have to restart too far back. I just feel a bit like I've paid too much for the experience I got, as I probably won't go back in....
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    East wrote: »
    It's a really gorgeous-looking game, and I quite enjoy the parkour aspect of it, but right now I'm struggling to bringing myself back into the game after a few hours of gameplay. It feels like I got my share of it, and the story isn't engaging enough to pull me back in.

I love the look of the environment, and the 3D characters, while those 2D/pseudo-3D cutscenes make me cringe a bit. I do like the unforgiving aspect of the gameplay, since you don't have to restart too far back. I just feel a bit like I've paid too much for the experience I got, as I probably won't go back in....

which level are you?

e: finished it :) the ending wasn't that amazing and the last level seemed to be easier than some levels before, never the less awsome game :)

The last elvel imho looked a little worse than the ones before. The sunset levels are the best looking :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I finished the game earlier today. I enjoyed it a lot. I thought there could perhaps have been a little work done on the combat and/or disarming to make progressing through areas with lots of SWAT guys a little less frustrating, but overall it's a great game. I've just started out on the Time Trials. I nabbed a few top ranking ghosts and chased them through the first few levels. There are certainly a lot more paths through each level than there initally appears when you're dashing through them with cops blasting your arse.
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    krumpleton wrote: »
    Wow, this looks very amazing. So you did radiosity for every light on the indoor levels?

Yes, and the radiosity has per-pixel directions just like all other lightsources.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    o2car wrote: »
    Yes, and the radiosity has per-pixel directions just like all other lightsources.

you guys should make a tutorial of how you achieved the lighting i wouldent mind messing around it ut3 trying to get the same effect.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    ae. wrote: »
    you guys should make a tutorial of how you achieved the lighting i wouldent mind messing around it ut3 trying to get the same effect.
    you won't without beast or something comparable..
    Unreal doesn't support gi out of the box..
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Finished the game... and overall.. what a letdown.

Frustrating as all hell at the simplest of parts, and it's almost like the devs are teasing you with the menu jumping around the city model. I lost count of how many times I threw my controller down out of sheer frustration for having to re-re-re-re-re-re-redo a simple section of map cause of some stupid f-up.

The game itself was overall, fuckin gorgeous. This really should have been an open-world kind of game like Assassin's Creed, though.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    play it a second time, you'll be surprised at how much better you are at
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I bought this the other day and I am really enjoying it.

I have the reflexes of an arthritic tortoise, but its still fun.

Environments/atmosphere are superb
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    flaagan wrote: »
    Finished the game... and overall.. what a letdown.

Frustrating as all hell at the simplest of parts, and it's almost like the devs are teasing you with the menu jumping around the city model. I lost count of how many times I threw my controller down out of sheer frustration for having to re-re-re-re-re-re-redo a simple section of map cause of some stupid f-up.

The game itself was overall, fuckin gorgeous. This really should have been an open-world kind of game like Assassin's Creed, though.

im playing it a second time with everything turn off its so much more smoother, im loving it this is easily more fun than gears of war 2 wich is collecting dust right now:P
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    fucking gorgeous game. great art direction, pity the gameplay doesnt really work with exploration, but as an artist a great buy just for the prettys
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Mirrors Edge goes abstract
    http://kotaku.com/5102015/mirrors-edge-dlc-in-motion
    800 points is kinda pricy for a map pack, but I'll bite for something this neat looking.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Just got the game tonight. It's pretty slick! Sometimes kind of hard to tell where I'm supposed to go (b button helps). Otherwise, its visually amazing and a blast to play. Grats to those of you here who worked on it!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    my best time in edge is 47.53 seconds see if you can beat that slum!
  • dejawolf