Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Jeff LeRoy - Modeler/Sculptor

www.leroyfx.com

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums, been a reader for a couple months though. I have just finished my new portfolio site and some content as well (mostly character work).

If you all could critique my site and the work on it. It would be greatly appreciated!

Also if anyone knows of any Entry Level/Junior Character Artist positions I am looking for new opportunities, and would love to hear about it.

Thanks for looking!

-Jeff

Replies

• Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Jeff,

Great stuff, I really enjoyed looking through your site. Not too many clicks, easy navigation, clear and simple, BRAVO!

Unfortunately my only crit is that you are aiming too high as of right now. You are a good artist, no doubt about that, though your work as a character artist, does not seem up to par. Your high poly work looks great on the character side of things, though your low poly looks rushed and not up to par with current next gen character artists. I look at your weapons and your props, and I am blown away! I would suggest working on more enviro stuff, keep churning out more great work, and YOU WILL LAND A SPOT VERY SOON. Everyone wants to be a character artist, bury that beast for now, and let it out when the time is right.

CHEERS! GREAT WORK! KEEP IT UP!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    you cage fighter looks very cool my only critique is that his head looks really big!
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Spug, your props/environments are FTW! However your characters aren't quite cooked yet
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I would suggest that you do some texturing on the untextured Environment-Scene. Also some low-poly versions of the guns with baked normalmaps and textures will show the whole process of Asset-Creation, from highpoly, to low-poly model with textures.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I'd also suggest more finished products, as it stands now I saw two finished products. I'd also ditch the 'updates' on the front page those invariably will just get you into trouble by not updating regularly or show how long it takes you to work on stuff, etc. We don't really need to know when you posted your cage fighter.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree with everything that is being said here. If your looking for work now as a character artist and your ready to apply it might be difficult for you still. The environment route might be the smartest way to go to get your foot in the door.

However, if you can make your cage fighter look as good as this, then stick to character art.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=56105

In other words, just keep comparing your own art to professionals in the industry. When there is hardly any noticable difference in quality, then your golden. Good luck man!
  • extol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug - Thanks! that is excatly what I was going for with my site. Thanks! for the advice, I will work on some enviro stuff, if its the easier path to get my foot in the door then so be it.

ae. - Thanks man! I will check on the head.

Archanex - Thanks for the tip!

Slave_zero - Good advice, I think im going to make a low-poly of the weapons and bake normalmaps and texture like you said.

Dekard - Yea I need to actually finish more of my projects. Thanks for the crit on the site to, I know what you mean I'll remove it soon.

BradMyers - Thanks! Yea I'm going to take everyones advice and work on some more enviro stuff to try and get my foot in the door.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't tell if you're going for style that ignores anatomy or if there are gaps in what you know, about how human body fits together? I see a lot of anatomical errors and its probably because your still learning?

As for the layout I think you've got a winner, but it might be better to show more of the image in the thumbnails instead of doing the zoom in. Its always kind of annoying having to click on a preview and guessing at what it links to.
  • extol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig - Yea I'm still learning and studying anatomy, so I'm sure there are some errors on my models.

Thanks!, glad you like my layout. I will correct my thumbnails so they give a better representation of what they link to.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    I know I am coming in a bit late on this one but wanted to drop my notes :)

I happened to have "found" ;) your site recently. I thought you showed some great potential. However, when I usually "find" sites I am not allowed to really give crits for certain reasons. This is where being a card carrying polycounter comes in handy!

To me your portfolio does not seem focused enough to really portray what you want to do in the industry. For example, if you apply for Environment Artist. I look over your folio and you have a nice finished piece but the rest is all unfinished. Also some lighting can help in presenting your objects and helping to bring them to the next level. Lastly, your site is 60% characters and 40% environments. This portrays to me that you are not truly interested in being an environment artist. You want to do it until you can tide you over into a character spot. Most companies these days are looking for dedicated environment guys as that is what they need and want to train you for.

Your character sculpts technically are pretty well done but as people have mentioned shows anatomy issues. You are also falling into the issue of not enough finished pieces here as you only have one character fully done out of your six you show.

Overall you show a lot of potential and am sure you will find a gig. However, I think sitting down and polishing/finishing up some of those pieces and making your folio more focused will help you get snatched up much faster!

Hope this helps and keep up the great work!
  • extol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly - Hey man, thanks for your input! You are right, I know my portfolio is not focused enough right now.

I am taking yours and everyone elses advice. I am Making some new environment/prop pieces, and when I get them done I will add them to my site and remove some older/not finished pieces. Along with some older characters, and try to clean up my site a bit.

I actually enjoy Characters and Enviro stuff which might have posed a problem so far, I guess need to fucus down on one.

Thanks again!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, I am in the same boat as you extol. I am going for character artist now, but above all I want a job. I would be ecstatic to be working as either a character artist, or environment artists at a studio, just I still favor character art a bit more.

But if its more likely one can get a job doing environments, then yeah why not?

I really look forward to seeing how you make the transition to full out environment artist. I have seen a few others here on Polycount make that same transition and its always cool to see. Good luck with the new improved portfolio, and with your job search in general.