Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Sam Roberts - Modeler/Texturer

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
sampson polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,
Here is my portfolio: www.samroberts3d.com
it's not the most lavish, over the top and extravagant web design but i think it does the job. I would love some crits, ways i could improve etc. Some of you may know me from GA (if i'm allowed to mention other websites here)

I'm only 15 btw

Thanks,

Sam

Replies

• seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Sam,
    Im sure you have heard it before but great work! I have never seen work of this quality from someone your age. In general i think your models and textures are very good. i think the texture on the tank is very nice but you could improve it by losing some of the noise on some of the surfaces so that when you do see wear and tear it has more weight. this would also make it read better from a distance. the pistol has the same problem where it could use a little bit of contrast adjustment. The grip doesn't read very well, i think you could lighten it up and some some textural detail. i think your models have quite good silhouettes however you could work on improving your mesh flow and lose some of the triangle fans and poles. i also think that the tank model looks too perfectly geometric, large objects made out of metal usually have imperfections on their surfaces, large plates usually have subtle concave shapes for example, right angles are seldom perfect , that is a very minor observation.

Another suggestion i would have is that you include some organic props in your portfolio, when i put together my last one i included various 'feature' tee props with different stylization of the model and texture, it got a very good response from employers. I think it could'nt hurt to show some different styles and maybe some versatility with low polycounts (I.E. DS and PSP specs) its quite often that if you end up working in a studio that has several versions of the same game or even just several games in production, newer artists wouldent likelly be put on to the PS3 or xbox 360 game but often on the handhelds, ps2 or wii.

your work should get you a job if you include some more examples. right now the economic situation in North America is making it hard for artist to find employment( well in Vancouver at least) but i have also heard the same thing is going on in the states. dont let that discourage you, you have skills beyond many junior artists that i have worked with.
    good luck
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the wonderful feedback sean,
    these kinds of good crits are right what i need.

I'm working on some environments atm so that will be a good variation to put on my portfolio. I'm now sure what the situation with the industry here in australia is like. Any senior polycount members from australia could fill me in on that one perhaps??
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    only 15... I wish I was that good. Awesome work, make more.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty damned professional for 15. Keep up the good work!
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya nice work. If you keep at it you will have a nice job by the time you reach 18. Wish I had been doing this when I was your age
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Sean has mentioned a fair bit of inputs but here's my .02 cents.

It never hurts to hunt down some more references for say the gun handle as it will show how much more diffuse and contrast there should be. The gun itself it good, but you could wear out the edges where most contacts would be made.

The pump jack in itself is OK, but the color palette itself is very uniform, for metal you'd expect to find some more color variations. I think you may have a mistake on the upper level (The wear seems to off register) and it's a little big in scale. Some hints of paint flaking off would be good to show.

The best of all would be the tank, it's functional in design for what it is, most of the futuristic stuff I've seen from folks your age tends to lack that element. As for the art itself, what Sean said.

As for your site, I'm glad to see you use a simple image gallery, employers can save your image and backtrack your review if they are interested. It is also simple to navigate without opening windows etc.

Certainly come next year things will pick up again.

Keep us posted.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.
    I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is on posting things that i never finished

Here is a my first character i tried to make about 5 months ago and i'm not sure if its worth putting in
    zbrushwip5.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Certainly helps if the wire frame shots are attached.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    great stuff, thanks for the ambient occlusion tut!
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    speed texturing done over at game artist
    better%20texture%20tyre%20render%20copy.jpg

worth putting in or not?? (still no one told me if i should put the zbrush sculpt in)
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    The zbrush torso? No. It is incomplete, and not at the same level as your other work. The tires? why not? btw, 15?!!? God damn dude....keep it up!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure about putting in the tires.
    A few notes if you do though:
    -stc#28 means fuck all to employers.
    -mention that the model isn't yours
    -There's no real need to mention the time it took you. If you do, you'll need to do so for everything in your portfolio.

On another note, don't post about your age. You'll never get honest criticism that way, and I know from experience that it will just piss some people off, as they feel you're just trying to play on their sympathies.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, nice work! My only crit would be to no have empty space in your portfolio (those empty boxes) I am guessing you intend to put stuff in it before you submit resumes and such, but the first thing that crosses my mind when I see empty boxes is "what you don't have any more work to fill these?"
    Yeah, its interesting to me that you were able to produce this only being 15 years old, and if I were as smart as you, I wouldn't have waited untill I had two college degrees to get into 3d art.
    So I am glad you shared your age with us, but like MightyPea said, it might not be a good idea because of the reaction others might have.

Keep at it dude, there is no doubt in my mind you'll have a job when you turn 18 if you do.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks alot guys - i agree with posting age might influence peoples comments
    on the other hand its good when people are like you can do that at 15, shit.

i'll put the tyres into the web when i get the chance (tonight probably)
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice news guys, i was accepted into work experience at animal logic in sydney it runs for five days and i'm looking foward to it.

Animal Logic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to those who haven't heard of it

i know its not game art but hey, how can you turn down things like this.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Don't put the tires in, its a really simple prop tires take 3 seconds to do compared to things like full characters and vehicles, your doing good for your age but if you want to land a job in the industry you need to start doing some more complicated and more realistic looking objects:

- First off i would rework your gun model, the grip looks really plain and blah! the main body looks solid but that also look like it needs a little more loving heres what it should use this image as reference it was made by kaskad over at game artist forums:

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/5690/makarov2fz8.jpg

as you can tell its not as shiny as your gun , tone down the shininess add some wear and tear if needed, the gradient of the gun is white and Grey take that and make it a little darker than it is.

- The futuristic tank looks solid my only 2 gripes are the noisiness of the texture a little and the the overall design of the tank which is really blocky but it is very well executed.

- both the pump jack and the tires are solid works and i would not change anything about them. take what you did with these 2 objects and make a vehicle or object.

it says your a modeler and a texture artist i would focus in one field doing characters or objects right now it looks a lot like you want to be a 3d level artist, if thats the case i would start learning how to use tools like Hammer and unreal editor and get cracking on a level to showcase in your portfolio you got time so keep up the good work.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm with the shininess if you look at the real raging bull it is different to that image you showed me - the metal is reflective. (see below image) i know the grip could be improved

GP_MARUSHIN_RagingBullS8_lg.gif

yeah the tank design was not be me nor a professional concept artist but my friend who had a rough idea of the look and did an okay concept art.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    yeah looking at the gun itself looks like you did a pretty good job at recreating it, i just thought you made it your self :P i personally think that gun is pretty ugly but thats my crazy ass opinion , anyways keep up the good work!
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha wasn't my choice- people i'm in the mod for made me do it lol.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Sampson- You might wanna include your reference pic on your portfolio site then, because I was thinking the same thing as ae. Its definetly an unusual looking gun you have there.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys - ive got two new things on my portfolio (even though i've made a few more things lately) i decided to bump this old thread instead of making a new one....

www.samroberts3d.com
    concrete_barrier1.jpg

and a non game art project
    http://sampson3d.profile.modshoot.com/thumbnail6.html
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, that rubble piece is better than most peoples ive seen (7+ years older than you).

keep it up man. the spec map could use some tweaking. seems like its the same shinyness across the entire thing.
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice, keep up the good work!
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update on the ol portfolio

(i'm going to have to get another page or something because of my current limit of 6 thumbnails i might have to make it 12 add another page or something . and i'm not that great at web design...

C&C welcome.

scarhfinalfixed.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    good to see someone that has an idea of what they want to do while still being so young. mad props, and excellent work so far. you're way ahead of the game.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    good to see someone that has an idea of what they want to do while still being so young. mad props, and excellent work so far. you're way ahead of the game.

Thanks alot man, your words help alot :D

Anyone have their moments when they just dont know what to model... i'm having one of those moments. even if i look at page after page of inspiration - nothing.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mmm modelers block. welcome to it. haha. its such a lonely, lonely place.

your website looks pretty slick. nice, simple, well put together.

just somethign small i noticed, your wireframe (at least the one for your gun), erase all that extra stuff around it. and the wireframe probably reads better when its black as opposed to white.

good stuff, keep it coming.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Nice stuff. A few suggestions (not sure if these were made before, I dont have time to read the entire thread)

- Include texture maps, specifications, wireframes and ingame screenshots (if possible) for all models. This is a game art portfolio after all - you are expected to know how to put your stuff ingame
    - Drop the WIP stuff - your portfolio is expected to show finished stuff only
    - Drop the "back" link (or move it to the bottom of the page so you don't have to scroll up to return) and link the header to the index page
    - Include the links bar in all pages
    - Include a resume (at least a short version) or get yourself a linkedin profile - most people won't be bothered to e-mail you only to request a resume

As for the lack of inspiration you could try to join a mod. Having a completed mod in your portfolio can help you a lot to get a good job.

Keep up the good work sam
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Great work Sampson!

For the modelers block try some cartoons or movies, go out to some museums if you have any around, read a book, play some games, look up ancient relics.

As everyone before me has said keep up the good work.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Sampson: Just make your page longer if you want to add more thumbnails. Get a hold of dreamweaver or some other web design app. It's pretty easy if you sit down and spend a little time at it. You'll have to do it sooner or later, you know?
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys - good to come back the next morning to some good constructive replies hehe.

I've got a building i can show you in a bout two days.

Minotaur0 could you tell me what this linkedin thing is all about? is it like a job facebook or something?

(The reason i have my resume more "secure" is that i'm a bit concerned about random people finding the phone number, address etc of a 15 year old boy)
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    On your site, how many tris in that barrier? Great SCAR too!
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On your site, how many tris in that barrier? Great SCAR too!

The barrier is not much of a light mesh - more next gen.
    it is 1400 atm (ut3 can handle it fine) but i could get it down to 800 or maybe less if i had to
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    Wow really you're only 15? You're on the fast track. At this rate you can jump on a environment/object artist fresh out of high school! You wouldn't happen to live in an area chock full of game studios do you?
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i happen to live in a area with pretty much no game studios but film/tv studios...
    i'm either going to find someone willing to hire me remotely or move :S
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Nice! That is some great stuff, wish I had those skills at 15!
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got something new to show- a train buffer/stop thing
    i didn't model or unwrap it. i just textured it...
    i have a few crits myself (the stop sign thing specular/normal) but otherwise seems to look good.
    max render:
    trainbufferfinal%20copy.jpg

unreal screengrab:
    unrealimage1.jpg
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    The do not enter sign is kinda weird to me. The grate metal that it's on, I think that's mainly for steps and flooring, and wouldn't be used for signs. Also, the do not enter sign is suppose to be red and white. Just my thoughts
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Texture looks pretty good, I like the wear and tear. But yeah, that's a blue "no entry" sign... looks pretty weird to me. I wouldn't believe it unless you showed me a photo of real buffers with the same sign on, and even then I'd probably wonder what the sign was :)
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah that part was a bit of artistic freedom - theres no real good images of these buffers.. and the level designer said he wanted some kind of stopping sign on it.. (which ones in real life dont really have)... and i tried to make it more interesting than the plain ones in real life
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    it looks kinda washed out , since the color kinda blends with the grey . Also doesnt make much sense a forbidden sign wich are always red to be blue ( wich mean something you must do/follow :) )
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    why would the sign be painted on metal like that though? that's floor grip pattern, to make metal less slippy to walk on. odd to see it being used as a sign material
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    why would the sign be painted on metal like that though? that's floor grip pattern, to make metal less slippy to walk on. odd to see it being used as a sign material

i just thought that when i made it it could be a bit more interesting than just plain metal? maybe not.. is it worth revisiting and changing?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson wrote: »
    got something new to show- a train buffer/stop thing
    i didn't model or unwrap it. i just textured it...
    i have a few crits myself (the stop sign thing specular/normal) but otherwise seems to look good.
    max render:
    trainbufferfinal%20copy.jpg

unreal screengrab:
    unrealimage1.jpg

Looks like you have some smoothing errors here in unreal, either your smoothing groups arent exporting, or the top image is a render, and likely not a good representation of how your normals will work in a realtime engine.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah as it says the top one is a max RENDER...

could you point me out to the smoothing groups your talking about? (on the base thing?)
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    That looks better than a lot of the game art assets "professionals" in the industry make today. Worrying about smoothing groups there seems overtly picky but I too am curious to know how this is fixed. And for being only 15 that makes all of this even more impressive. You'll probably land a job in this biz before I will, and I'm 30.

Curious...in your tutorial section you go with the skylight/light tracer method for making ambient occlusion, why not just use the Mental Ray Ambient Occlusion? Do you just like the catmull-rom in the scanline renderer? Mitchell in MR does a good job too.

Curious to know the difference between the two as I never really tested side by side.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    Curious...in your tutorial section you go with the skylight/light tracer method for making ambient occlusion, why not just use the Mental Ray Ambient Occlusion? Do you just like the catmull-rom in the scanline renderer? Mitchell in MR does a good job too.

Curious to know the difference between the two as I never really tested side by side.

As far as I understand they are the same quality but the light tracer renders out much faster. I use the same method for my baking
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also i should have made it so you select "lighting map" but its pretty much the same thing.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a staircase - lolmg

Anyway, look past the fact that some sides dont have rails and it doesnt have support (it makes sense when it's in the level ;)

unreal engine 3 screenie:
    unrealscreenie1.jpg

unrealscreenie2.jpg
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Only 15? I'm only 14! Good work you have there.