Home General Discussion

Mirror's Edge

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
I liked it, graphics were amazing game play was very interesting cant say much about it cause the demo is very short, but ill be picking it up for my 360:)

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    the theme song by lisa miskovsky is pretty good. never thought I'd listen to her. lol. I was tricked!
  • ae.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was great, sooo short though I wanted more but I guess that what a demo is meant to do lol. Although I hope the demo isn't an example of how short the game will be.

Very nice visuals though, lighting was awesome.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    i was wondering how they get the light to bounce off the materials? it kinda looks like the white surfaces have a glow to them?
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    nono, you get to dl it when you preorder at some places.

here's the song:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERyxFfMqDk[/ame]

EDIT: oh right, it's the same song but another version, lol.
  • Frogfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the length was enough to get a basic taste of what is to come. Really liked it I must say, the graphics were very stylish and the control scheme was really good and easy to learn and get a hold of. Time trial is fun aswell, though really hard to get the best time : <
    Can't wait for the real thing.
  • hellobuddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. wrote: »
    i was wondering how they get the light to bounce off the materials? it kinda looks like the white surfaces have a glow to them?

Well, we used Illuminate Labs BEAST(tm) to render the lighting, so we just set the bounce amount on the materials to be slightly exagerated to give them a little extra punch

*ofcourse there was alot more to it than that on the code-side during the implementation of said BEAST(tm), but in the end thats all we had to do as artists
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Also what engine are you running that off? looks like unreal but is it just a modified battlefield engine?
  • nreynolds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nreynolds polycounter lvl 18
    demo was pretty fun and looks good, but in the end i had a headache and my stomach was all twisted up. Good feeling of being high up and running around but it kinda made me feel like vomiting the whole time.
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    ae impretty sure it is the unreal engine
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I would think Dice would use their own engine... To me it doesn';t look like unreal, it reminds me more of source to tell you the truth.

We got the demo couples days ago and I'm in love man, I can not wait until it hits store shelves, day 1 i tihnk for me :)
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    think its UE3, heard their own engine wasnt ready when this started, or something... pretty sure its UE3, to where I've even seen them use it (I think! I'll look stupid if an employee tells me otherwise.)
    Suppose it looks different partly because of Beast and also because of the style used. Its great to see something look this good though.

It was on Playr recently.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa... then I applaud them, very very clean :) Although didn't American Mcgee's "Grimm" use the ue3 engine?

What is this "Beast" you talk of sir? :P
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
  • Psixos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, the lighting looks incredible, can't wait to see what the full game has to offer. A good presentation can be found on Beast here, this would be great to play around with as illuminate labs are offering a free evaluation, but for the purposes of UE3 integration alas it's only available to licensed UE3 developers. :(
  • hellobuddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Its Unreal engine, and I cant really imagine going back to using the outofthebox-lighting after having worked with the beast for 2 years, so if you are finding yourself on an unreal 3 project, go bug your project managers about getting the Beast, its really sweet and Illuminate is a great bunch of guys that has been excellent to work with. They are a very small company so I thought id give them some well deserved credit :)
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, just played the demo... I had high expectations for this game, and from that small experience it seems they may be exceeded. I absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on the full thing.

[edit] Thanks for the info on BEAST by the way hellobuddy. I'm going to research it a bit more this week and then start poking people at work about it. Also, as it seems you are at DICE, congrats man. This is by far one of the most exciting games I've seen for quite some time. [/edit]
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Dammit, now I'm gonna have to add this to my list of games to buy... I'm not gonna be getting goodies for the 'vette for a while now. :D
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This and prince of persia really have caught my eye, I'm just loving some of the art styles developers are taking now... and I can't wait to get to some levels like these:

mirrors-edge-20081003022953565_640w.jpg

mirrors-edge-20080820034739613_640w.jpg

Diggin' the colours!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I totally agree with Jason, the colors are stunning. And the game demo was very fun, normally demoes hurt the sales but in this case, it will surely help them ! props to the guys @ Dice.

I wonder how they did the radiosity, do you guys think its real time? its something we dont see in a lot of games and they its really adding well with white props.... looks awesome ... (heads back to play the demo for a 20th time)
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    no realtime at all :D

the gi and even the shadows are all baked to a directional lightmap..
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    one thing that bothers me is the lack of variety in the levels.

all i've seen is beautiful but outside of the 3 different envo 'sets' that's all I've seen. I hope there's more.

I'm very excited to try the full game though.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no realtime at all :D

the gi and even the shadows are all baked to a directional lightmap..

Yuh I think that is one area where I could tell it was unreal (from what I've seen before), some of the shadows weren't as pristine as I would have wanted, like when you are sliding across the ledge (you run on - then jump off this metal siding onto a ledge, then you climb up and shimmy across a ledge) the shadow on the ground was kinda nasty... but now I'm getting too picky, at least the shadow was blue, instead of a solid black :P
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    this would be cool with a level editor!
    i love the immersion of being right there with the fluid movements and sound effects and all. so far it looks really staged and scripted tho.
    the demo level was too linear for my taste, combat feels a bit awkward and inside the building the scale of things seemed off to me. also the tutorial is super annoying (consta-"failed"), no room for exploration at all?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I gave it a shot, pretty cool sense of movement. the white motif was a little overdone i think in some spots, it looked kinda made it look like placeholder textures in some areas.

Its cool to see something different coming out of dice other than battlefield (not to say that bf games are bad at all) ill bet for the artists it was a nice change. the trailer at the end looked cool, the different environments, I think I would like those more.

while Im undecided on weather or not to snag this at launch its definitely a breath of fresh air in the fps world.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I love the art direction of the game, however I wasn't too sold on the gameplay from what I played on the demo. I played through it 3 times during the course of a single lunch break (mainly trying to take different routes, explore different ways of dealing with the enemies). By the third time I was getting a little bored. I'll most likely pick it up to give the full game a chance.
    Congrats to hellobuddy and any other Polycounters that worked on the game, you've done a great job with it.

-caseyjones
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe you were getting a little bored because you played it three times lol.
  • hellobuddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    caseyjones wrote: »
    I'll most likely pick it up to give the full game a chance.
    Congrats to hellobuddy and any other Polycounters that worked on the game, you've done a great job with it.

-caseyjones

• kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    I found the demo to be quite boring... after finishing the demo I kind of felt like I played assasins creed only in first person. It visually kind of looked like the 'present' level in assasins creed as well, which is a good thing imo :D
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Liked the visual style more than the game personally. I'm not paying £50 to enjoy looking through beautiful but amazingly linear levels.

Maybe there will be a Art Of book.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i went gold just today
    got the demo
    and i must say

not too impressed

love the visuals. love the gameplay. its not the game that disspoints me
    its the demo

being an average high school kid, im dependany on demos to pick and choose which games to buy
    this demo just wasnt fulfilling enough

ill wait for review, and maybe a price cut =D

that was just one play thru though

here i go again!

[ps: gj on all those who worked on it!!]
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    awsome!!! loved it. Its like the rooftop gameplay of assasin's creed with really cool visuals and in first person. Really into the look of the game and i thought the whole running around/away from the police and slide kicking groins was pretty fun, was too short tho, but i guess that's what it's supposed to be.

I figure a whole game of more of the same with some varying levels would still be pretty fun, depends how the story plays out as well imo.
    srsly looking forward to this one
  • Tulkamir
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Kawe wrote: »
    nono, you get to dl it when you preorder at some places.

here's the song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERyxFfMqDk

EDIT: oh right, it's the same song but another version, lol.

awesome song!! Ive been listening to this all morning and it still gives me shivers
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Mirrors edge sequels! http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=260636

I'm still pissed about the still unannounced PC release date.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    great demo, the videos just don't do it justice. would like the option to be able to play it in third person, i like being able to see the tricks i'm doing, not just the camera bobbing about. do get that it's done for immersion, though.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    A few people mentioned the same thing here while we were playing the demo, Marine. About wanting to switch to 3rd person view. Also for the fact that they would have preferred a wider view angle/field of view so they could see where they were going better.
    I do agree with the wider field of view, but not so much on the 3rd person thing.

-caseyjones
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    running through the demo was funner than I expected, but not so much that I feel I need to rush out and get this. dunno, still on the fence.

didn't like the 'runner vision' turning things bright red. hopefully that can be disabled?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    didn't like the 'runner vision' turning things bright red. hopefully that can be disabled?

Can do that in the demo even, just go into options. I kind of like having it off as well.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    The came out first couple reviews are disheartening still picking it up :)

http://kotaku.com/5084311/mirrors-edge-review-leaps-of-faith-end-in-splat#c
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    you played the 2D version of Mirror's Edge?
    http://www.bornegames.com/?page_id=369
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    caseyjones wrote: »
    I love the art direction of the game, however I wasn't too sold on the gameplay from what I played on the demo. I played through it 3 times during the course of a single lunch break (mainly trying to take different routes, explore different ways of dealing with the enemies). By the third time I was getting a little bored. I'll most likely pick it up to give the full game a chance.

-caseyjones

Thank you!
    I had a blast working with it.

On a sidenote: I think it grows the more time you spend with it, the reviewers complain about it being too difficult, but imo thats part of the charm. The second playthrough will be a totally different experience. You kind of unlock yourself after completing it once.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    yeah, just finished it and i gotta say it was awsome. I was really getting into the story even if it wasn't particularly elaborate, and the first person thing was really nice, great sense of immersion in the world.

This game is more of a puzzle/platformer than a first person shooter imo, just done in first person. Though by the later chapters you get much better at fighting badguys hand to hand. Great art and i freakin love the 2d concept art in the unlockables as well :)

Also i really disagree with gamespot's review about it being to hard, you just have to explore and look around more which is a good thing for a game like this i think.

Going for a second playthrough after some more speed runs, gratz to all the pc'ers who worked on it
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It becomes less common and more necessary as the game progresses and the levels become more complex. It also doesn't always show the most efficient way through the environment. Just the most obvious.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Just picked up my copy it has its faults but boy is it ever so fun!!!! cant wait to do speed runs i hope they make a sequel!
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Bought the game. As ae said, some faults, but the game still is amazing :)
    Pretty difficult though :D fighting 6 heavy weapon guys while looking for the right way :D
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really digging the game so far. I think I'm going to start over, though. I was having such an issue with the controls. Got part way through chapter 2 before I got frustrated enough to look at my control settings. Seems somehow the setting defaulted to left-handed mode. >_< Gahh!