Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Auk-Kun

WIP29.jpg
Guess who's back?

hey there guys!
remember this:
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=51812

?

i doubt most of you do. it wasnt quite a memorable a DW3 entry, considering i didnt finish.

well, recently i was going through some old files in the little spare time i had today, and saw the incomplete zbrush sculpt. a sudden urge to work on it struck me, and i figured 'its now or never.'

ultimately, i want to finish this piece, no matter how long it takes, no matter how much hw tries to stop me

what you see above is just a normal map on the old model. nothing final at all

just a little show of where i'm at right now, though there's a LOT to be redone including the uv template etc]

all i've really added are some rock-type features to his body.
ill start posting more from later on today / tomorrow.

as of now, just wanted to start a forum thread to see what the general public over here thought about the piece so far.
get as many crits in before i plough ahead at full steam

anyway, off to do some hw now

let me know any crits / suggestions you guys have!
feel free to say watever...

Replies

• indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright so here is the high res mesh as it stands at the moment:
    WIP30.jpg

now i must finish my art project, and try and do some 2d art afterwards!
    let me know what you guys think

cheers!
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that guy is a BEAST
  • Ro-Sham-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First thing that gets me is his neck really is wierd and more than likly should blend all the way to his chin, with how much muscle he has. Second thing is the spikes on his back are kind of out of there element and just dont help that much, now if you where to add them in other places maybe make the legs out of them or have some more that might be cool. and its just me but i would like give him a less human face, something more extreme and unique. Really cool though keep it up.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Hey I.B. Good to see you are getting back to this. My DW entry is dead and deleted I think. The legs are far too noisy and you have jumped up the sub levels too fast again. You really need to stick to the lower subD levels as long as you can and try to get the most definition and detail you can at each level. I have said this to you before (so have numerous other poeple if I recall). Don't be shy to go deep, if you are going to define somthing its better to have it a little deep then build it back up than too shallow and have to try in deepen it at a higher subdiv. At the moment your definition and details are very random and blobby. Take some time and get some good reff for each area you plan to sculpt. I would also suggest sculpting the head seperately seeing as your base has so few polys in that area in relation to the size of the mesh. Ro Sham Bo has a point with the head too, try push the design a little there.

Keep at it, we will make a great artist out of you yet.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    this just does not make sense materially
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, this time around, with this wip, im really dissecting each and every crit i get so i can get certain concepts drilled into my head

@dante: tyvm! -D

@Ro-Sham-Bo: ty. in the backstory i explain that he's a human child. hence the human-type face. a close up reveals rock growth on the face though, but considering he's a tower, u would only be able to see the flesh turn into stone in terms of colour from the player's 'view'

@Xaltar: thats sad to hear about ur dw entry.... these are always good motivations, for me at least. i hope u get one done for #4 =D!
    as for the legs. they seem overly noisy cuz i had to use 'sharpen' in photoshop to make em clearer. i'll reduce the cracks, though, cuz on second thought, it may be a bit over the top

as for jumping sd levels. ill admit to skipping a lot for the legs, mainly cuz i didnt think of much modifications being possible with them. ill research some crab legs when i get the time, and try to implement those into my lower sub d levels.

one issue i have, however, is that i really did push the body. i took a long time on each sub-d, taking the advice ive constantly been given. im not entirely 100% sure what's wrong this time around. is it that i should have harsher edges for muscle definition? an example might help me understand? no need for paint over or anything, just a few words pointing out a spot and what you'd do to make it 'right' so to speak.

@shepeiro: do you mean the rock + crystal + flesh thing? or.... ?

thanks guys for all the pointers.

updates will probably few and far apart, but i'll keep checking for suggestions and ill keep responding to them too
    i have very little time to practice, but the more tips i can get before i next turn zbrush on, the more ill have to go on

thanks again
    cheers!