Home General Discussion

Autodesk buying XSI?

Replies

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Lets hope that at least some of XSI's innovations end up in max and maya.. I have layed out far too much cash on max to start looking at other apps so this doesn't bother me but I really wish max would come out with a decent version worth upgrading to. I checked out the max 09 trial and can't see why I should fork out for the upgrade from 9. Who knows, we may get lucky and get a more usefull new version next time....
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    lolololol, glad i use modo.

my sources say modo may be the next to go
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Do the autodesk execs just count their money and play monopoly all day sheesh.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    As far as I know this sets a new precedent in the 3D software industry. I wonder what Autodesk is up to.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Hmm. Why do I get the feeling we should be raising some aintitrust law flags soon?

I can't help but think this is anti-competitive in a sense, and certainly seems to lead to a more consumer hostile market. Sure, we're not talking Google-Yahoo-Microsoft scale here, but still..
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now here is a package I would like to see make a comeback:

http://www.izware.com/mirai/
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Now here is a package I would like to see make a comeback:

http://www.izware.com/mirai/

now with preselection I think Maya has finally finished transforming into Mirai. what I always wanted. My Mirai with Maya manipulators.

I think the only reason that website still exists is so Autodesk will gobble them up as well ( Autodesk bait ).
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    XSI Blog wrote:
    we dropped Foundation because it would have been close to impossible to decouple ICE from the Foundation sku (and would have been a drain on development, as well as expensive). We gave a great upgrade deal so that people had an option to get onto Essentials.
    That's not how the users felt. They felt like they were being held at ransom, being given 30 days to come up with a grand, or be thrown to the wolves. :poly142:
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I thought this was vaguely relevant:

2008-10-24-454local.gif
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    That's not how the users felt. They felt like they were being held at ransom, being given 30 days to come up with a grand, or be thrown to the wolves. :poly142:

on the other hand, it's not like you're suddenly out of fashion by not upgrading to the very latest version. foundation price never seemed sustainable to me either. i evaluated it and would have bought it if i'd liked the app but it seemed like a special offer without much of a future of it's own indeed to me.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    I thought this was vaguely relevant

This is relevant. I buy local milk and get a refund for returning the glass bottles. Think local. :poly124:
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    This is relevant. I buy local milk and get a refund for returning the glass bottles. Think local. :poly124:

i prefer world space!
    OMG I MADE A GEEK JOKE!
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    bitmap wrote: »
    i prefer world space!
    OMG I MADE A GEEK JOKE!

holy shit that was actually funny
  • MachineMinded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the situation with Lightwave currently? Is it really slowly dying or are they planning something in their rebel base to destroy the Autodesk Deathstar lurking in the depths of space just after zapping XSI to cinders...
  • Stronin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THIS is Epic (yay for puns)
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    CAT will go into Max.

This is the thin ray for me. I used to really enjoy using cat. I actually am nauseated by cs and loved the availability of an alternative.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Vig wrote: »
    You mean they'll actually make it compatible with a version past 3dsmax9? Nice, about time.

By the way, I have CAT working with max2008
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, assuming max user's are going to get CAT for free (a $1000 plugin), that's pretty cool. I really don't have a problem with Autodesk, I read in Forbes or something that they were one of the top ten companies in employee satisfaction, and I have stock in them as well.

Sure there are things about max I would change, but then again, EVERY piece of software or game ever made has the potential to be better, and it's easy to chalk it up to laziness on the developer's part. But the line has to be drawn somewhere, and even the Softimage guy said something along the lines that they were working too hard for too long in their current position, and hoped that they could see greater funding at Autodesk.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I hope in the future we'll have one standard. Kinda sucks having to learn all these different packages. I think Autodesk is doing the necessary evil for the better of us all. =P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice wrote: »
    I hope in the future we'll have one standard. Kinda sucks having to learn all these different packages. I think Autodesk is doing the necessary evil for the better of us all. =P

yeah one standard that everyone hates equally with no choice, thats fucking brilliant. Because you know, everyone works exactly the same.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah. That will do wonders for innovation, wouldn't it :P
  • Rob Galanakis
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh come on guys...he didn't say which one would be the standard. He's just saying if Autodesk focused their attention only on *newly acquired software*...the industry would be a better place. :P
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17

LOL! That was awesome.
  • Okt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    j_bradford wrote: »
    LOL! That was awesome.

Indeed.

Not too sure what to think of this one... making me really wounder what language to focus on learning for scripting. I'd love to think Autodesk has some sort of plan but lately I'm stating to question it.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    hehehe funny video LOL
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Rob, that video made my monday morning! Had to email it around the office ;)

On a serious note, i like the idea that all 3 programs could be going towards the same goal, thats a nice idea.
    The reality is probaly further though.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hahaa brilliant video! I was laughing so loudly at work people started asking what its all about, unfortunately they dont know 3D so the joke is lost :P
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    You basterd, I laughed so hard it woke the baby. Fucking brilliant vid. Should get an accademy award, god knows it kicks brokeback mountains ass :P
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Video was funny, but it's been done to death. Hitler getting banned from XBOX Live, Hitler reacting to (insert any pop culture event here)...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i agree it's been around but this is the first decent effort i've seen using that source material. nicely done.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    i agree it's been around but this is the first decent effort i've seen using that source material. nicely done.
    This is how you do it.
    Some Dude wrote:
    Holy crap...

Autodesk just bought Pixar. Release here.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Autodesk having all 3 main biggest 3d software packages will kill all the new things comming on the market, they wont be able to get the high quality that Alias and Softimage were making their softwares because there was a war going on, and now, an internal war? Does this sincerely will work? Anyway, who ever asked if Maya went updating since Autodesk bought it, its not so true, it went slow, and still is... maybe because they have both and they dont need to change so much? Maybe now the solution is to have faith on Blender ;)

I think that now Max, Maya and XSI will suffer a bit. But who knows what Autodesk have in mind.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt wrote: »
    Indeed.

Not too sure what to think of this one... making me really wounder what language to focus on learning for scripting. I'd love to think Autodesk has some sort of plan but lately I'm stating to question it.

Take your pick. For scripting, XSI supports Python, VBScript, JScript (which is similar to JavaScript) and PerlScript. Jscript would be the most comfortable for Maya users familiar with MEL.

That video was great.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For all those who say 'autodesk development is slow, maybe we should look towards Blender': while it's fast becoming an impressive all-around package, you can't claim it develops faster than max/maya/xsi, not with a straight face. They do a good job, but for years now they've heard the complaints about the interface and workflow and done nothing. They cater to the converted, no those of us who come from other software. They still haven't added a way to change shortcuts, short of using an uncomfortable hack.

I follow Blender closely, but it's not looking like it'll convince me anytime soon, I'm afraid.

Modo's an option, but I haven't really used it enough to be able to tell (and I'm not paying for a demo)
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    maybe we should look towards Blender': while it's fast becoming an impressive all-around package, you can't claim it develops faster than max/maya/xsi, not with a straight face. They do a good job, but for years now they've heard the complaints about the interface and workflow and done nothing. They cater to the converted, no those of us who come from other software. They still haven't added a way to change shortcuts, short of using an uncomfortable hack.

I follow Blender closely, but it's not looking like it'll convince me anytime soon, I'm afraid.

You can't follow it very closely, or you'd know that the 2.50 will have definable shortcuts and a new interface, and that they have been releasing new versions every 2 months with several new features each.

The opposite of what you claim.

The current 2.48 interface is different from the old ones, as it has most of the commands in the menus now, so you don't have to memorize hotkeys.

I used to hate Blender with a passion. But it's different now. It's not what is was back in the 2.2 and 2.3 days.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    garghle, i want my 1-6 keyboard shortcut to swap from vertex to object level, and i want my C and V to swap between editable poly and editable mesh!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    you can't compare blender's development cycle to autodesk. for one they do it on their free time and blender has improved greatly when compared to 3ds max. The same can be said for maya and XSI before autodesk bought them out. I think xsi was the fastest to improve based on customer complaints, every version made a big improvement especially if you compare it to max.

I guess now XSI will have a compass, to make the program soo much better than it was and it will get some awesome pelt mapping. This is soo exciting I want to take a dump.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Back off, deja. C and V are reserved for snapping to edges/curves and vertices :P
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Methinks some friendly satirical merchandise is called for...

http://www.cafepress.com/Nomdesk
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Blender is great. I love it and use it all the time. Of course, I didn't always love it. It used to be that I just liked it. Blender has come a long, long way over the past five years.

Most people who get into Blender end up really liking and regularly using the program. If you do actually memorize most of the default controls, the workflow is easily comparable in speed to just about any major 3D package. The learning curve is steep, but the rewards are usually well worth it.

But let's not delude ourselves. The #1 reason for liking and using Blender isn't how well it compares to the major 3D packages. All three of the big 3D packages have more robust feature sets than Blender. And its not the ease of use. Everyone knows that Blender is not an immediately intuitive software package. It's interface is not easy to grasp right off, and is vastly different from what most 3D packages present.

No, the most appealing thing about Blender will always be that its FREE. You don't have to drop mad cash on it. It doesn't have cheaper educational licenses. And it won't expire after 30 days. And unlike some commercial apps that are made free-to-use, it gets regular updates. (most apps have their support dry up after going the free-to-use route) Blender will always have a following because it persists in not charging for the software or the accompanying updates. In an industry that regularly charges $1000+ for single-user licenses, that counts for something.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage wrote: »
    I guess now XSI will have a compass, to make the program soo much better than it was and it will get some awesome pelt mapping. This is soo exciting I want to take a dump.

No thanks. I already know which way is Z.

Also, XSI has pelt mapping, remember? When Autodesk made a big deal about Max getting pelt mapping to convince users to upgrade. We got a free plugin soon after. Not that it's needed. Unique UV's and Relax do rather well.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender is great. I love it and use it all the time. Of course, I didn't always love it. It used to be that I just liked it. Blender has come a long, long way over the past five years.

Most people who get into Blender end up really liking and regularly using the program. If you do actually memorize most of the default controls, the workflow is easily comparable in speed to just about any major 3D package. The learning curve is steep, but the rewards are usually well worth it.

But let's not delude ourselves. The #1 reason for liking and using Blender isn't how well it compares to the major 3D packages. All three of the big 3D packages have more robust feature sets than Blender. And its not the ease of use. Everyone knows that Blender is not an immediately intuitive software package. It's interface is not easy to grasp right off, and is vastly different from what most 3D packages present.

No, the most appealing thing about Blender will always be that its FREE. You don't have to drop mad cash on it. It doesn't have cheaper educational licenses. And it won't expire after 30 days. And unlike some commercial apps that are made free-to-use, it gets regular updates. (most apps have their support dry up after going the free-to-use route) Blender will always have a following because it persists in not charging for the software or the accompanying updates. In an industry that regularly charges $1000+ for single-user licenses, that counts for something.

At least you get it. Well put.

Daaaaark: I do follow it closely. I know about every version's new features, and the recent game-centric release was pretty cool, but until shortcuts can be changed (and I knew about 2.50, but that's been 'coming soon' since two years ago. Only now are we actually getting close to getting it done) it's ultimately pointless for anyone who didn't start with Blender, and who wants to apply the knowledge he got in another program to Blender.

Now, enough rabid defense of your program. I pointed out flaws, as I do with Max, Silo and every other program I ever use.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Methinks some friendly satirical merchandise is called for...

http://www.cafepress.com/Nomdesk
    Hahahaha
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender will always have a following because it persists in not charging for the software or the accompanying updates. In an industry that regularly charges $1000+ for single-user licenses, that counts for something.
    Right, just don't expect it to take over the industry or even come close to being decent competition. The reasons it even shows up on the radar now is because most of the decent competition has been nom'ed.

Blender is the really skinny kid in the corner that doesn't realize the monster who just gobbled up all the fat kids, isn't coming for it...
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Now, enough rabid defense of your program. I pointed out flaws, as I do with Max, Silo and every other program I ever use.
    :poly142: I'm no Blender Defender. I was simply trying to clear up misinformation. I attack Blender all the time, and even told one of the Elephants Dream animators that he was in no uncertain terms, an idiot, and all his posts were worthless. But much like me, a lot of people dismiss Blender in 2008 for what it was when they tried it in earlier years. They have really gone a long way towards filling the community with documentation, training videos, and making it very easy to find what you are looking for in the interface with tooltips, and popup menus that list the hotkeys (and can be clicked anyways).

I've used Max, lots of other smaller 3d apps, and Blender. My workflow has been the same in all 3 of them, and any knowledge transfers across seamlessly. Polygons are polygons. An extrusion is an extrusion, no matter what program you are using. (Unless you use TrueSpace, then it's a sweep, and a **** ed up one at that! And you get ten different stories from ten different devs on why it doesn't work right, and then finally you get a PM @ 3am by a frustrated dev who's all like.. "what's this extrude thing you speak of?" :poly124:)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    As much as I like Blender I often find some of its features somewhat lacking, and feel envious of more focused commercial applications.

For instance, I've often found the sculpting tools in Blender too constricting. I really like that they added the features, and the sculpture tool itself is great. But the Multi-Res system that allows you to sculpt models at different subdivision levels is a tad restrictive. Once you've applied it, you are stuck with the base model as it is. I've recently downloaded the 30-day trial version of Silo 3D, and I'm seriously considering purchasing a license. It's sculpting tools are quite nice, and perform better on my system than Blender's do. And I adore the ability to go back and make changes to the base mesh without messing up my sculpting progress.

Open source is great for those who can't afford commercial software. But once you can, it's understandable to want to invest in one. I'll still be using Blender for animation, though. I've always loved how it seamlessly combines bone and shape animations.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    For instance, I've often found the sculpting tools in Blender too constricting. I really like that they added the features, and the sculpture tool itself is great. But the Multi-Res system that allows you to sculpt models at different subdivision levels is a tad restrictive. Once you've applied it, you are stuck with the base model as it is. I've recently downloaded the 30-day trial version of Silo 3D, and I'm seriously considering purchasing a license. It's sculpting tools are quite nice, and perform better on my system than Blender's do. And I adore the ability to go back and make changes to the base mesh without messing up my sculpting progress.

You might be interested in the multirez branch. http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=716

It not only allows editing of multirez objects, but also allows them to be split and joined on the fly.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    No, the most appealing thing about Blender will always be that its FREE.

I certainly hope not. Realistically thats one of Blender weakest positive points. Its not like people dont know about torrents, or studios dont have budgets.

If we are looking at a theoretical long term (I.E. Blender is not there yet) most appealing thing, I would say the ability to compress a studio's workflow from dozens of apps down to just one or two, or the availability of source code for making inhouse customized builds.