Home Technical Talk

Maya doesn't like me

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
Hey all, quick question.

Hypershade is being weird, when I load up a texture file (TGA, jpeg etc. I've tried them all) it gives me this:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8089/helpmedt2.jpg

Anyone know whats going on?

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Probably the texture is too large for Maya to think it should generate a thumbnail from it, so it uses a default image.

I think you can force it to update if you right-click on the material and go to "Refresh Swatch".
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mop for the fast response.

The refresh worked, now it shows the thumbnail but when i assign the material to the model, i get this error "// Error: Error while parsing arguments."
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    2rqbkvt.jpg

that should fix it permanently.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Will that fix the error though? It is not appearing on my model... at all.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    try deleting history on the object and re-assign the material
  • ivars
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    That error happens to me too sometimes. It usually goes away when restarting. Sometimes you can get around it by using an alternative method for assigning (MMB drag, RMB assign on the object or RMB assign on the material)
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone ever tried to pin down exactly what was causing the error? A name conflict maybe (I saw this error last week at work, it was caused by 2 objects with the same name in different Groups or something)?
    It's sometimes worth popping open the script editor and looking at the last few lines, since sometimes the final warning you see in the status bar isn't the main one causing the problem.
  • woogity
    try importing the model into an empty comp fixes almost all issues like this in maya, also this error is caused by lots of different things ive seen it before 3 times on my own stuff each time with different fixes one was because i had messed with the initial shading group, one was because the mesh had been extracted and merged a few times and the history got rediculous, and i cant remember the third. gl with the issue.

-Woog