Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

high poly final fantasy type character

I've been really hesitant about posting my work online because I'm not that great yet but hopefully you guys can help me out with some critiques.

anyways she is originally a character from final fantasy 8, her name is Selphie and i wanted to do something really high poly and just out of my usual norm of low poly diffuse only type. i really like Japanese art and style and final fantasy 8 was actually made me want to do games so i figured this would be a good one to remake for current gen systems. she was modeled more so for the in game animations rather than the gameplay so the poly count is higher because of it.

ss-11.jpg

i haven't been working on the diffuse too long but i have been trying to make her dress look nice and have sort of a thicker fabric since it seems that way in the older game. so to do this i made larger folds and tried to give it some wear and tear and value changes but i think I'll have to push that more still. the skin on the arms is the only area I've touched the skin as of yet and its nothing permanent. since I've never painted skin before with normals its a new venture for me and I'm trying to make sure it just looks right and like the final fantasy feel. so really smooth basically.

since i haven't gotten too far on it if anybody has any ideas as to where i should go with it would be great, especially with painting skin, if anyone knows of anything that would be useful i would be really grateful. otherwise I'll just keep painting and see what happens.

also paint overs are well appreciated, it makes it a lot easier for me to see what people are talking about, thanks.

Replies

• etsuja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    etsuja polycounter lvl 17
    She looks pretty nice but the first thing I notice is that her legs are very skinny.
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, her legs are twiggy. add some more polies and layers to her hair. its hard to tell w/o a close-up of her face, but it seems like her eyes lost that anime quality. maybe its just cuz she has no eyeliner on.

sure you've seen this already, but since I mentioned the hair here's a good realistic reference
    selphie.jpg
  • etsuja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    etsuja polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe her legs aren't too skinny for her, just looked at some images from the game.
  • Urthrese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i made her eyes more anime-esque now, thank you for pointing that out. I'll start adding more layers to her hair tonight and make it seem a little more full. I'll play around with her legs too, maybe i made her kneecap area to big and that's throwing it off too. she is supposed to be rather skinny but I'll play around with the size of the legs and see what i come up with.

thanks for the help guys.
  • Urthrese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ss2-1.jpg
    ss3-1.jpg

here are some quick updates for everyone. crits are welcome however i'll be taking a break from this one for awhile because i just don't feel good enough to finish it yet. as in i need to learn more about texturing and such before i finish her.

well the pictures you see are screen grabs from 3dsmax in directx mode which is why the alpha's suck but if you want to see what it looks like rendered you can just go to my website. it's really not that different though other than her eyelashes give her more of that anime esque feel.

http://www.arinrobinsonart.com/