wouldnt mind getting another $1,200 check to boost economy,
not looking good right now,
guess we will see soon,

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    The Dow was up 413 points today, and closed above 9,000 points.

I hate you, internet! :(
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    You get a check for 700, and then you get an extra 700 to pay in taxes. Yayyy
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man, I'm loving the quotes from McCain and Palin, nice to see some common sense.
    It's just another government giveaway. We've seen too much of that already.

Amen to that.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't seen too many government giveaways - I can always us a few more stimulus checks.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The problem with the stimulus checks is that it's like borrowing from next year's return. I use that return to pay for vacations... but if they send a stimulus check, life will find a way of sucking it dry.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    vermilion wrote: »
    I haven't seen too many government giveaways

That's because you're not a mega-corporation :p
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Shit, I need to start up some franchises... Government gravy train, here I come!!
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Instead of giving money to people they should invest in infrastructure:

National Health Care
    Commuter Rail system
    repair roads, bridges, dams, etc
    money for schools.

Such programs would create jobs and keep this economy going. (if people are working, they're paying taxes, spending money etc) Why give money for people to blow buying more junk from China?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi wrote: »
    Instead of giving money to people they should invest in infrastructure:

National Health Care
    Commuter Rail system
    repair roads, bridges, dams, etc
    money for schools.

Such programs would create jobs and keep this economy going. (if people are working, they're paying taxes, spending money etc) Why give money for people to blow buying more junk from China?
    +1
    Improving infrastructure would be giving money to people, but asking for something in return, a fair days work. Instead of shelling out billions in what are essentially welfare checks, lets put a few people who want and need jobs, to work. I personally don't need another stimulus check and I'd probably do something silly with it like pay down some of the remaining debt I have (which is exactly what they don't want me to do with it).

But hey when people start to lose jobs and their power gets cut off I'm sure they'll all enjoy that HDTV... idiots.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    There should be a correction to that. If they money was free, that would be a welfare check. If this check is just a cash advance on your tax return, then it isn't free... it's my money and I want it. Obviously, nothing from the government is free, since it originates from taxes, but I'm expecting my money back next year (I don't want it now). I don't want my money going somewhere else.

I am however, in favor of putting people to work while improving our infrastructure. It worked when Roosevelt did it (The New Deal). I'd rather have the bail out money go for something like that then to corporations, who continue wasteful business as usual (like the AIG resort trip).
  • Mister Sentient
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    flaagan wrote: »
    Oh man, I'm loving the quotes from McCain and Palin, nice to see some common sense.

Amen to that.

They contradict themselves way to much. Crying for government to get out of the way in one breath then saying it needs to step in and regulate the next. That is not common sense to me. more like common retard. ;)
    McCain said he will consider a second economic stimulus package if he is elected president.

He attacked Barack Obama, his Democratic rival for the White House, for saying that "when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody."

That is "certainly not something I would ever do," he said.

and speaking of spreading the wealth around and attacking Barack's tax policy hmm..

heres some great footage :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2JPbQOHEkY[/ame]

Anyway just some stuff to look at here. I'm sure what there saying is making sense to you.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe

Yeah i don't really care for the stimulus checks, but at least its a dollar amount giving not a percentage based on how much you make.

If your interested in the tax brackets for 2008,
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Common/Taxes/2007TaxBrackets.aspx

Doesn't seem very bad for the rich at all. Maxing out at 35% for over 350k.