Home General Discussion

Max Payne - movie

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
Max payne trailer is out. Actually doesnt look too bad.
Its a shame Mark didnt play the whole thing with that max payne 2 lemon drop face :)

Replies

• Delaney King
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Looks better than the teaser a few weeks ago. I'll be checking it out.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that, was, filthy.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    It looks pretty awesome I think.
    I just want them to add some major bloodspray.
    Max Payne, after all, was a puddle of gritty blood, with curse words sprinkled in here and there.
    But, If they don't wanna have that in the movie, whatever, it still looks good.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    blah whats up with the vodoo, angel of death "scary ninja vampire" crap?

gimme a good ol hardboiled ledfilled story set in the real world and id be happy...
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looked cool, but yeah I agree what was up with those angel things. I hope they aren't significant to the plot, but I liked the overall look of the film.

I did laugh when I heard the voice though, trying so hard for that gritty Max Payne tone lol.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Ludacris in the film rofl I'm going to hope he's only got a small role but who knows maybe he'll surprise me and be a half decent actor.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think the angel things are part of his hallucinations/dreams that were in the games.

For those interested, the trailer song is "If I Was Your Vampire", by Marilyn Manson.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Vlad, no Vinnie... :(
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    so how close is this going to follow the actual storyline? I'd rather like it to go somewhat with the games... with the dead family and drugs and all. I saw the dead wife however I saw no dead baby and endless running down halls at the end of each level.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    they're Valkyries, not angels, for what that's worth.

I think this looks badass. Need to find someone I can drag to opening day.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    never played it, but movie looks awesome.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    motives wrote: »
    blah whats up with the vodoo, angel of death "scary ninja vampire" crap?

gimme a good ol hardboiled ledfilled story set in the real world and id be happy...

Quoted for truth...

Max Payne's universe is very dark/dirty but still realist. In the video game, the people are crazy, not really the world itself. (even when he gets his bad trips in the video game, it's still linked to the story/universe). Here we have a mix between Narnia with this death Harpie "scary ninja vampire" (I like :D ) and a classic mindless supercop movie. Damn...
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    That reminded me of Constantine. But kudos to them for trying to do something different with such a stale genre.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    carlo_c wrote: »
    Looked cool, but yeah I agree what was up with those angel things. I hope they aren't significant to the plot, but I liked the overall look of the film.

I did laugh when I heard the voice though, trying so hard for that gritty Max Payne tone lol.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Ludacris in the film rofl I'm going to hope he's only got a small role but who knows maybe he'll surprise me and be a half decent actor.

ever seen crash? he was excellent in that.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I loved the games, and this looks like a promising movie, but I think I''l have to check my fanboyism at the door and just enjoy the movie as standalone.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    nitzmoff wrote: »
    That reminded me of Constantine.
    I thought it WAS a Constantine sequel when I first saw the trailer. Then after seeing the title I was like WTF, Max Payne?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    man_o_mule wrote: »
    ever seen crash? he was excellent in that.

Yea, I was incredibly surprised by how good he was in Crash.

Max Payne looks great to me. :D
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, it's very Constantine. I"m not sure why they are trying to mix mythologies up God vs the Devil and the Norse stuff.

Also most of the norse stuff was a metaphor in the Payne games, but this looks quite literal; it probably isn't, but visually it looks like it.

And with the director and lead actor spouting some of the dumbest interviews for a movie in recent memory I don't see why we should have any hope for this.

It's kind of weird how some people see the trailer say "awesome!" and some(or at least me) just groans and the issue isn't really staying true to the Max Payne roots, but just what I see that looks like a good movie, it looks cheesy and dumb,

They need a little less Constantine and a little more Heat; actually make that a lot less and a lot more.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    just saw this last night unexpectedly, didn't even know it was out.
    pretty good tie in with the explanation behind valkyr. overall pretty fun.
  • AlexanderF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not thrilled that Mila Kunis, that chick from that 70's show is playing Mona Sax. I would want someone that looks a bit more mature =P
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Save your money, kids. This is one to hire on DVD.

I could put it pretty succinctly. Atmosphere good, acting passable, script lousy. It bares some similarities to Silent Hill in this regard - it looks great but the dialogue is often awful with some really clumsy exposition, and like that movie, this is pretty unforgivable given the higher quality of the source material. They could have used some more monologuing too. There desperately needs to be one at the end.
    The story also doesn't flow all that coherently. I'm not sure if we've got the cut down version here, but it feels like it's been edited very poorly and bits of the plot have been lost because of it. Or maybe the script just isn't very good.
    Regardless of this, they've made Max a fool. In one sequence, rather than doing what any sane individual who was trying to clear his name would and either using some stealthiness or talking to a few people, He marches through the middle of the police station, through a bunch of police who think he's a murderer, storms into his dead partner's office and ransacks the joint before escaping through a window.
    This problem runs throughout the movie. They've tried to make Max a man of few words, which would be fine except because he's so aloof he makes things much harder for himself and makes it look far more likely that he's a criminal.
    There are also a number of sequences where he just wanders into a building and starts shooting people. The first guy he guns down at the wife murder scene doesn't actualla appear to have a weapon. He just runs out to see who's coming up the stairs and gets shot. Nice work Max. What if that was some random innocent? Perhaps a friend of your wife's? I suppose it doesn't matter that much, except that it happens quite a lot.
    Action sequences are few and far between. There are some flashes of brilliance, but for a game that bases itself around John Woo's stylised action, it's mostly pretty standard fare.
    The environments are the film's strong point. Frequently, you'll see Max wander through shots taken directly from both in game and more often from the comic sections. Even the framing is often the same. It all looks very nice and its just a pity that more effort couldn't have gone into carrying through other aspects of the game or at least making a quality movie.
    The Valkyries we were so worried about aren't at odd's with the source material. They're not really a necessary addition either, but they don't get in the way.
    Stick around after the credits. Theres an epilogue that runs for a few minutes setting up the sequel.
    All in all, it's not a terrible movie, per se. I'm being particularly hard on it because I saw it in the cinema on a Friday night and it cost me a sizable amount of cash. Grab it on DVD and you probably won't be excessively disappointed.
    5/10
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I saw it on Friday too. I think I may have seen you in the queue, Jackablade.
    I actually enjoyed the film... Its far from being the best film I've ever seen, but it was enjoyable. Its definitely one of the better 'game to movie' films I've seen, not that it says a lot because most of them are pretty turds.

A few things you mentioned, Jackablade, sit a little strange with me.
    They've tried to make Max a man of few words, which would be fine except because he's so aloof he makes things much harder for himself and makes it look far more likely that he's a criminal.
    That's what I remember happening in the first game. No matter what he did or who he spoke to, just made himself look more and more guilty.
    There are also a number of sequences where he just wanders into a building and starts shooting people.
    Yup... Sounds like Max Payne the game. I don't understand why you were so surprised by it.

I will agree with some of your points however, especially the action sequences being few and far between. The film needed some more monologues, it started off with them, then stopped.
    I missed the epilogue at the end however, the dudes I was with didn't really want to sit through the credits.
    I was also surprised that bullet time was only seen about three times throughout the entire film, instead of every gun sequence.
    Mila Kunis... Poorly casted! That's all I'm saying about that.

If you're a Max Payne fanboy, don't expect to see the movie told word for word like the game. It is based on the storyline of the first game and holds true to a good extent, but there are quite a few variations.

Overall, good popcorn flick, 7/10 from me.

-caseyjones
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, I was just there to see a good film. I did like the Max Payne games, but the film has a lot of issues in general terms even without considering its basis. At the very least they needed to up the amount of noise, explosions and flashy things to distract me.

I'm all for making the guy fall deeper and deeper into trouble. That is what the game was about, but they didn't need to make him look a complete fool doing it.
    The shooting thing is probably needlessly nit picky, but it didn't really sit all that well in the context of the film, regardless of source material. When I initially wrote the review I'd just finished spending $17 to see a movie that wasn't particularly good, so I was a little on the harsh side.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it for free with work on Fri. I was expecting the worst. Wasn't all that bad, but was completely predictable/mundane.
    Worth a rental.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i was expecting the worse, and got what i asked for.
  • flaagan
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    WTF? Hollywood takes a "popular" game franchise. rips out all the good stuff. adds in pointless CG valkyrs (the drugs called valkyr so they so they can see them, real logical guys).

If you were even considering it, don't. I don't think i've seen a bigger disappointment of a movie this year, and saying something coz i bought Southland Tales.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Well that's a shocker, they fuck up the story to a game with a good story.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    This trailer looks better than the previous ones. Visually stunning but it seems there's mroe f a plot than inthe last trailer tat looked like a better version of that crappy Keanu Reeves movie from a year or two back.

Scott
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    "the last gunshot was an exclamation mark to all that had led to this point. i took my finger off the trigger.. and then it was over."

i haven't played max payne since it came out, and that sentence is still burned into my mind.
    awesome awesome game.