Home Technical Talk

how do I do an unlit turnaround render?

I want to render a turn around of a low poly model, but unlit and with no anti aliasing or crazy filtering. Can someone please link me to or tell me what would be the easiest way to do this? either in max or maya, doesn't matter which.
148.jpg
may be a bit of a silly question but what the hey

thanks

Replies

• Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    turn off filtering and animate a camera rotating around the car, screenshot each frame and combine in your app of choice.
    or you could turn on snap rotate and rotate the car instead of animating a camera
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easier... in Max, animate the car rotating 360, then use Animation > Make Preview. In the Rendering Level section choose Flat.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the turn around. If you want a constant camera you can come back to later, and you don't want to animate the object itself...

- Draw a circle spline around your object.
    - In the top viewport create a target camera, place its target near the center of your object. Or quick snap (Shift-A) it to the center of the circle.
    - With the camera selected go Animation > Constraints > Path constraint, click on the circle.
    - It will put two key frames in your time line. These are the % Along Path it automatically generates 0-100% based on your time line.
    - Right click the viewport label and go Views > Camera01. Click render and you're done!

Tips:
    - You can select the spline circle and raise/lower it to move the camera up or down. Scale the circle to move the camera farther away.
    - You can turn on auto key and animate the % Along Path to speed/slow the camera down at different points if you want to speed more or less time looking at a part of the object.
    - save your turn around camera/spline to a separate file (File > Save Selected) and you can import/render turn arounds really quickly without having to animate objects.
    - Put this set up on its own layer, to make hiding it easier.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    or also in max:
    under rendering settings disable texture filtering, in the material set it to 100 self illumination, in customize > preferences somewhere set dont anti-alias against background.

then render

as for turntable animations:
    I like to link the model always to a proxy or plane (something invisble) and animate that object instead with a linear interpolation.
    That way you can easily add more objects to the to be rotated model.
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres how I would do it (not sure if its the right way) in maya 2008.

under the animation go to animate>turntable
    then go to window>playblast

the playblast pretty much just takes an animated screenshot of your viewport. you can either save it frame by frame or if your comp is fast enough, render it out realtime. you have to set your camera before you do your turntable.
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone :D