Home General Discussion

the ultimate question fine art versus digital art

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
Yes this is something I was thinking about recently, mainly I know that its GREAT to have a understanding in both since in fact both are the same thing in the end , a form of art.

But digital art and fine art are almost night in day with other things, (you have brush strokes, in real life but in photoshop you have brush settings)

Now my question is , when are you going to overboard with one thing or the other?

Ive been studying traditional art for the last few months and ive noticed GREAT jumps in my artwork , but at the same time I noticed ive fallen behind on new modeling/ texturing techniques that buddys of mine tell me about.

So to the guys who do both on here, honestly

when is it to much?

do you study one thing for a few months and then flop back (like I do?) Or do you constantly jump back and forth?

just curious what people think/ handle doing traditional art on here :)

offtopic: finally got a raise at my job , so im in a good mood :)

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    i believe they go hand in hand. tradition art serves a very strong foundation to it's digital form. when talking about the difficulties of digital art, you're describing the technical aspect. digits. which settings of numbers gives you the best results you're looking for, and such. which menu can this option be found? what steps do I take to replicate traditional methods? one is feeling, the other is percentage. both work to compliment the other. so, you should be learning the foundation, and applying it to your tasks as a digital artist. and digital tools makes new art forms accessible to traditional artists.

give me a pencil and paper, and I feel lost. that says something of my methods as a digital artist as well. i often don't properly visualize each step I should take to reach an intended result, before making my first line/polygon.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you've got ART, and to make art you have mediums. sculpture, oil, pastel, collage, digital etc
    there is no versus
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I mean more in the lines that alot of people now days (not so much the generation 1/2 game guys (older crowd) but generation 3 guys(younger crowd)) who were learning/ taught not so much the traditional skills but the technical skills and lack alot of traditional, but since now where in a time where technology / techniques change in a matter of weeks at a time. It seems rather difficult to really keep up. Its not so much as a "versus" but as oppose to a proper balance of pen and paper versus monitors and wacoms.

Dunno guess Its just a matter of how you balance between the 2?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    wtf! answer the ultimate question? are you MAD!? if an artist was to even think about BOTH digital AND traditional art, why they'd paralyze themselves! i saw a student at my school involuntarily shit his pants and nearly die from trying to answer this question. once you start using digital to create art, there is NO WAY you can do traditional art ever again, seriously. your brain simply cannot take it. it's called traumatic medium flopping, or as i plainly call it, brain abuse. you can't flop around doing whatever you feel like, i'm 100% certain. after going digital, if you stop using a computer, and decide to "traditionally make art", you'll completely forget what a computer even looks like. that's just a fact! some idiot that tried it lost the ability to walk. it's a dangerous game you're playing, and i don't like it.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    kllling needs to lay off the speed.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Techniques appear to change dramatically to the uninitiated. Rooster has already ended your thread or pointed out the discussion you want is different than what you've presented.

Traditional skills will aid in the development of an artistic eye translating to any medium. Technical knowledge provides the skill to execute within a specific medium. They are a cooperative competition which you balance through specialization in your field.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    double strength, double size, rockstar energy drink. bigger, stronger, faster. party like a rockstar. the 4 packs were on sale. *eye twitch*
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I dont think it matters.. but are apples more tasty than pears? This is a big issue.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Short answer yes...
    Long answer no

Pears...
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I would say pears......pear honey is tasty..although applebutter is a close second....but forgive me for derailing ...the question was about apples and pears ..not their many tasty forms
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    do you think it's possible to eat both pears and apples? or do you guys eat pears for a couple months, then flop back to apples???!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eat an apple and a pear? you're gross.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wait... since when can digital art not be fine art? Fine art is just art made for aesthetics/beauty rather than for a specific use. Seems to me that digital art can do that every bit as good as anything else...

Though you're asking about traditional vs. digital I guess, just misworded the title and such. To me the only difference is the medium used, and the medium should not be the most important part of the art. :P Besides, the medium only changes a few of the skills, the majority transfer between.

[edit] Doh! I need to start paying more attention when I reply. I see Rooster already ended the original question and we've moved onto something much more important. My answer...

I'll take the apple pear. Those things are tasty.

Image:Nashi_pear.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I think killing wins this and we need not post more.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    different mediums require different skills. forget digital for a minute, if you are an expert oil painter that does not make you an expert watercolour painter- sure if you're a great artist you'll have a head start with both, however techniques are different and if you spend a long time just oil painting, maybe your watercolour will get rusty. its no different with sketching and modelling
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    with digital art, you need to be almost as much an engineer as an artist.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    engineer?

i use a wacom, a digital pencil, it's the same as using a staedtler one. Different canvas, same purpose.

I must think this is more related with the ability to draw on a peper versus 3d modelling :P
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    dejawolf wrote: »
    with digital art, you need to be almost as much an engineer as an artist.

Art and engineering are very closely related. One has to understand how things work, and how to present them.

Digital vs fine art is the difference of a week or two learning the medium. Art skills are art skills -- if yours dont translate, you're learning too many gimmick tricks and not enough art. "New" modeling/texturing techniques your buddies talk about? I can't fathom what you mean, there isn't any new tech to revolutionize either, it's still just modeling and painting.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    Art and engineering are very closely related. One has to understand how things work, and how to present them.

Digital vs fine art is the difference of a week or two learning the medium. Art skills are art skills -- if yours dont translate, you're learning too many gimmick tricks and not enough art. "New" modeling/texturing techniques your buddies talk about? I can't fathom what you mean, there isn't any new tech to revolutionize either, it's still just modeling and painting.

Im just meaning learning curves in new technologies and such (learning shaders etc, all the tech things from a week to week basis change update and move on quickly was all)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackwhat, nobody wins on the internet.

tulkamir, what you say?!
    'since when can digital art not been fine art?' oh i don't know, how about since always? since before god created the big bang. digital art CANNOT be fine art. you see, pixels are unable to combine with "fineness" that makes fine art fine, which traditional mediums can combine with. it'd be like trying to mix oil and water.

blasphemous individuals try. some are able to create with digital art what i'd call an "emulsified art". it's mayonnaise. you can mix vegetable oil, egg yolks, and lemon juice with "food chemistry" that otherwise would not naturally combine! i don't see rivers of mayonnaise, do you? neither did god. it's thick with evil; a delicious murdered bird-embryo sauce that defies the rules of normal condiments. in "fine" digital art's case, a disgraceful artist will "engineer" a gross concoction of art, fineness, and pixels resulting in something shameful and perverted!
  • Steviant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like killingpeoples thought processes.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    seforin wrote: »
    Im just meaning learning curves in new technologies and such (learning shaders etc, all the tech things from a week to week basis change update and move on quickly was all)

Then your problem is thinking that shaders matter. This is a generalization, but overall that's programmer stuff. The average artist plugs it in and applies it as is best suited for their art piece, and the technical side of it doesnt matter at all. Learn good art, instead of making lists of good shaders to hide shoddy workmanship, and you'll be well ahead of your coworkers.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aima w8 till the cats start poping in here
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    tulkamir, what you say?!...

Hahaha, I totally stand corrected. Hopefully word doesn't get out too much, don't want people to know that my digital art is actually a way for me to worship satan.