Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The First Chapter

Well with all the Warhammer stuff going around i figured i'd play around and make something from the army i play as the Table Table top.

So i made the crest for the Dark Angels. need to clean up the polys a bit and resize a few of the UVs such as the stone wings. but this has inspired me to make a little space marine scene at some point when i have free time.

Was thinking of also changing the copper wings to alpha cards instead of just the high poly bake. Not sure yet though. None the less enjoy.

renderfixed.jpg

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the texture has way to much contrast and the dark cracks almost split the mesh and silhouette. No harmony in the colors (feels a bit random) - the green works almost as black, the red stamp is hidden by dark dirt - and the orange skull with wings is the only element with a warm theme.

The model is ok but there are lots of places where you can save triangles
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took your advice along with agreeing with most of it and re did it from scratch today. shaved down the polys, re UV mapped and new texture. Better now? cuz i think so ^^

Try2.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Nice improvment dude. this looks much better!
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i'm having to much fun with this thing ><

desktop2.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    soooo much better, really
    the texture details and color variations are now fine and not so rough as it was in the beginning. Most shapes now really shine through the texture- good job

just a last critical note:
    the background shield has to much contrast again ;) - use less black in it (black should be avoided anyway in textures- use dark colors but not black)

good job on improving
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    thats a good improvement, one crit, the cracks across the wing continue from section to section, a crack stops when it hits nothing, offset them from "feather" to "feather"
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    I'll cosign shep's crit. Dont let your overlays run into seperate elements it looks cheap.

That said, this is an impressive improvement without much actual criticism to inspire it--why didnt you do it like that in the first place? ;)

Looks good, bud.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    agreed. good work.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think overall it's looking pretty good.

The wings bug me a bit though. They are obviously carved from one big piece of stone.
    But it probably wouldn't handle having all those seperate feathers. I think it would be more convincing if there wasn't space between them.
    Part of the problem is that the large stone slab must've been cracked in a few key spots before it got carved. Most likely they would've looked for a better stone. It would've broken when they started carving it.

If it cracked AFTER it was carved then the cracks wouldn't continue through to the next piece. Maybe the cracked piece would only be half there.

I think maybe instead of cracks having crystal grains or different rock grain flowing through it would be better.

And/Or change the cracks to look like they are from where on the carved piece, not a prexisting condition.
    I think that making the 'blade' into stone would further help it stand out as a large piece of rock embelished with metal.
    Too me the blade still isn't quite convincing material wise.
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
    Cool piece, a nice improvement from the first post as well. Try giving the whiteish skulls and the white blade part a bit more texture love and bring them up to the same level of quality and detail as the wings and this could be awesome. (looove warhammer stuff, especially 40k)