Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Egyptian Warlord

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
Download:
egyptpreview.jpg
http://files.filefront.com/EgyptianWarlord+V091zip/;12085202;/fileinfo.html

It also inlcudes a custom voicepack now, thx to Koribian for makeing it.
Thx also to Alopex for helping me with the descriptions.

The armor can be customized quite a lot.
It has 18 masks! :D Though they are just that much because i made a lot of variations with the parts the mask is made off. :)
(The big shoulder shields are in the boots section)

There are also 4 bots with different setups.

Known Bugs:
- The shoulderpad bones get broken when driving the Hoverboard (Only for the Player)

UT3 Patch 3 is needed for this Character!

Update2:
Almost there! I have him ingame with custom material and custom physics, i had also improved the body textures a lot more and added normal details.

egyptscreens.jpg

http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/egyptchar.jpg

Update 1:
Here are some screens of the body textures in UE3:
http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/egyptbody.jpg
http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/egyptbody2.jpg
http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/egyptbodywire.jpg
The body texs are almost finished, still missing a specular power tex and PS normal details though.
c&c welcome

[I wanted to make something unique with this that looks somehow pompous and badass:
http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/egypt.jpg]
http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/egypthead.jpg]
The high poly modeling is pretty much done.

Concept:
[url]]http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/dw3_13.jpg[/url]]
Maybe someone regocnize this, i started this way back for Dominance War 3 but i never even entered with it. Im not so sure about the colors anymore, that could all change in the texturing process.

I will put this Character into UT3 and try to get it finished before the MSUC phase 2 ends. For that i will also make a lot of the parts changeable so you can customize the Shoulderparts, turn off the snakehead at the top etc.. Maybe i will also make a optional rotten mummy head and a weapon that he can carry at his back, but that will have to wait for now. Anyway, would like to get some c&c about the stuff i did til now. :)]

Replies

• MadnessArt
    Really cool details. I was wondering how do you do all those straight and crisp lines in the high poly. Did you use Zbrush for the highpoly?
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    The model looks really really nice. Not sure what's going on with the feet/boots. looks really confusing. Really liking the face. not liking the concept too much right now. seems too busy to me and i'm not a fan of the colors.

good job so far. really interested in seeing how the textures turn out.
  • AnimeAngel
    WOW! Bad ass model, I would love to spend an hour or more watching you model. As far as cc goes; I like everything except the colors on the concept. They just don't scream Egyptian to me at all
  • bounchfx
    fits right into UT3. feet are a little confusing

badass nonetheless, great work man, you rule.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx
    I used Zbrush for the clothes and heads...i mean also the snake heads. :) The rest is made in max.
    I will most likely change the colors a lot and try to make the whole model less confusing with it.
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Really impresive high poly there! The concept shot looks great too, it looks to me that you focused on bringing out some of the Egyptian trademark colors( like the blue white combination and the gold parts) One thing that I have to say is that this character reminds me of some Power Ranger Boss or something, maybe its because of the legs or the overall big costume, but hey thats even more kickass! Or is it?
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    What? 4500$ wasn't enough? :P
    This looks awesome man. I do hope you finish, and add on to it perhaps with more anubian style parts and heads. (like falcon and jackal helmets)

I've been wanting to see what the competition for phase2 characters would look like. Now I know and now I'll have to step it up a few.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    @ c0ldhands
    No, Power Ranger bosses are not kickass to me! :D But yeah i think that its the very chunky and shiny armor and the colors that gives that impression. I will try to give him a more dark vibe with the textures.

@ Vailias
    Its not so much about winning something, i wanted to get this project into UT3 for a long time now. :) Yeah makeing different characters with pushing the armor parts to a falcon or jackal style is a cool idea, maybe later.
  • clee101
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Davision, great model man. Nice details on the egyptian armor. Crit from me would be the proportions on the arms seem a bit too chunky overall, making the arms feel somewhat short. It would be kool to give it more curves and shape to the arms as well.. Anyway, great work man cant wait to see it finished.
  • imb3nt
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I'm really liking this. Can't wait for an update w/ some textures!
  • TWilson
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like fun. Will you give him a snake staff also?

The square toe is distracting me as well as the hole in the side of the foot.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Im loving this model alot Im a big egyptian based fan myself

my only crit is that though this seems very detailed it seems like no real posture/ stance , seems rather blocky, dont be afraid to move the forms a bit to give a bit of a dynamic form, that way when working on the low poly version it can be a bit easier to rig.

Also as mentioned before the boots are a issue.

Also please get more terquoise in the colors in the future. Copperisk colors work well to.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Have no update on the textures yet, but im very busy working on the body textures, will show some screens when i have that all setuped in the unreal editor. Here are some screens of the finished head and helmet and i made a mask for him.
    headegyptnew.jpg

@ clee101
    Yeah looks a bit short, i will see later how it will look in a different pose and if its still strange i will simply make the arms in the low less chunky. I have put some more shapes in the high poly, you can see that later in UE screens.

@ imb3nt
    thx

@ TWilson
    I give him something more fancy, but that later.
    There are some claws at the foot that can move out, with the claws he can poison enemys that a laying on the ground or something. ;) The hole is only a missing symmetry.

@ seforin
    He will be not easy to rig but i think i can still make some small adjustments in the low then.
    I like the chunky look of the boots, i think it will look much better when you can see them move. I have some terquoise like colors in the textures now, in fact i changed a lot away from the concept. Dont know what Copperisk means though.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    You're doing a great job Davision, really exciting character to me :)
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    updated first post!
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    kickass model dude
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    I was an egyptian mythology fanboy growing up as a child, always had like books on egypt and shit.

This caught my eye and you delivered... it looks great man, really great.

OH btw, congrats on your success with MSU contest :-)
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    very nice man.

Can't wait to see the finals.

Personally I hope you push the textures a bit to make the thing read more like metal and less like painted ceramic. I think its that the gold could use a little more saturation to make it really shine. (pardon the pun)
  • Orb
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    love the design, looks like a blend of stargate and unreal. Same as Vailias, textures are a little simple for the moment.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Orb wrote: »
    love the design, looks like a blend of stargate and unreal.

i was going to say, it looked like an unreal beefcake was bitten by a goa'uld symbiote.
    i want to see the gold in action. it looks like good things are going on that just a screen shot would do justice.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    @EricV
    thx

@ Virtuosic
    thx
    egyptian mythology is great! :)
    Do you know any name in the egyptian mythology/history other then Apophis that is related to snakes? Im still struggling with finding a good name.

@ Vailias
    yea i have a hard time makeing the metal look more convincing, but that darker material should look like that because i need a transition from the fancy gold to the metal. I will make the gold a bit more saturated and orange and try to simulate more bounced saturation.

@ Orb
    Yea Stargate was also an inspiration for me.

@ killingpeople
    an unreal beefcake was bitten by a goa'uld symbiote.
    :D I take that as the character description! ;)
    I hope i will have him ingame soon.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Updated first post!
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Fukkin sexy work Davision.
  • woogity
    wow man amazing work! looks incredible ingame too! i also like that you posed different setups for his armor. very pro nice work!

-Woog
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx

@ woogity
    There will be a lot more setups possible, especially the mask will be configurable a lot. :)

Im still searching for a name, someone has a idea?
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I have it finished and uploaded, see first post.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats Davision, final product turned out really nice, good luck in the comp (this is for the make something unreal competition right?)

Either way you have my vote :)
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I Can't get it to work in game. It shows the character choice, but it crashes when I try to view the character itself.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    @ Jason
    thx!
    yea i submitted it to the MSUC.

@ Joopson
    Are you sure that you have the UT3 patch 3 installed?? I have not heard yet from any other haveing that problem.
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    turned out kicks ass, congrats dude! The best part i like about the character is the helmet, really awesome!
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    it looks really great, but regarding this pic: http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/egyptpreview.jpg
    his eyes look wrong, they currently feel plastic and painted on, the pupils look unreal and are not how eyes are. i feel eyes are very important for making a character look alive, and you should give a few minutes more to give them more depth and life.
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    man that model looks awesome! The materials are very convincing. What type of cubemap are you using? (im kinda newb with unreal 3)
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    @ c0ldhands
    thx

@ killingpeople
    You can see all that in these few pixels? ;) But you are really right, i added the eyes later in the process and didnt spend much time on it. Seems you have very good eyes...very good working eyes! ;)
    Here is a better pic:
    picegypt.jpg

@ wizo
    Its a quite simple cubemap that is also used on some of the default chars. It includes gradients that go from brown over white to blue, but i also tinted the reflection in the material more to green and more bright.