Home General Discussion

Looking to become a seattleite!

Hey all you Seattleites,

I lived in Vancouver for two years while going to school and loved it, now that I've finished i'm back on the east coast in North Carolina of all places (not really a fan of it here). Curious to know how Seattle is and to hopefully make some connections there! I've visited a couple times and it reminds me very much of Vancouver, but on a larger scale. I loved it. I'd be looking for work at any kind of gig there, so curious how job opportunities out there in all fields of work. Anyways, thanks for any kind of input guys

Cheers,
Kessler

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Took a road trip from here in central Cali all the way up to Vancouver when I was still looking for a job. Gotta say, Seattle's pretty nice, and if it weren't for the tendency towards the wet / overcast weather (which I barely experienced during my week there, amazingly enough), I'd gladly consider a job there in an instant. I need my sun, though, so I'm sticking to Cali for now.
  • ericleekessler
    yea i got really use to rain while in Vancouver, but being able to see everything so green all the time was a major plus
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    After living in hell (aka Tempe Arizona) for a few years the Seattle rain still hasn't worn off its welcome. If you like mellow weather and crazy people you will love it here.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    After living in hell (aka Tempe Arizona) for a few years the Seattle rain still hasn't worn off its welcome. If you like mellow weather and crazy people you will love it here.

Well he did say he loved Vancouver, so he must like crazies and also the rain.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Been there a couple of times now. You gotta hit the fish market on a Sat morning. Kinda like our farmers market here in Madison. Would move there if I wasn't tied down here. View from the space needle is worth it for the 11 bucks they charge you.
  • ericleekessler
    haha, Vancouver did have it's fair share of crazies, anyone know if the transit in seattle is any good? i'm not one for spending loads of money on a car and gas, but that's me.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The Seattle area has been my home for over 20 years. Great area, great seasons, great diversity. The selection of women isn't too shabby. If you're interested in smoking weed it's called the green state for a reason. Assuming you are a gamer its a great area with so many studios, gamers and events in the area.

The one thing I don't get is how some of the laws were made by prude hippie soccer moms. Bars close at 2, last call is usually at 1:30. No drinking or eating at strip clubs. No smoking in businesses. Bicyclists get all sorts of consideration which ends up giving all the snobby douchebags in spandex an ego. Soccer moms get up in arms whenever something vaguely offensive is public like a dog shop called "High Maintenance Bitch" or espresso stands with scantily clad baristas.

The state is really a strange mix between being progressively thinking and overly-sensitive idiots trying getting up in arms every time a subject vaguely offensive comes up.
  • ericleekessler
    any studios in Seattle you'd recommend for a jr. artist (recent graduate) as myself?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Progressive thinking" is such a loaded term, ebagg. :poly121:
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    flaagan wrote: »
    "Progressive thinking" is such a loaded term, ebagg. :poly121:

Care to elaborate?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll simply say I fail to see how pot smoking and what I see as 'forced green living' is really progressive, but really that's commentary for a political thread; humbly apologize for dredging up that kind of thing in this thread.

Back to topic, Seattle's cool, Kessler, and since you seem to like the wet weather, I'd say go for it. I kind of regret not getting out and checking out more of both the downtown and 'suburb' areas more when I was up there. There's quite a lot of cool stuff to see and experience.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    flaagan wrote: »
    I'll simply say I fail to see how pot smoking and what I see as 'forced green living' is really progressive, but really that's commentary for a political thread; humbly apologize for dredging up that kind of thing in this thread.

Back to topic, Seattle's cool, Kessler, and since you seem to like the wet weather, I'd say go for it. I kind of regret not getting out and checking out more of both the downtown and 'suburb' areas more when I was up there. There's quite a lot of cool stuff to see and experience.

Well I won't debate you on that, and I wouldn't consider pot smoking or forced green living as progressive either, in fact some of the forced hippie bullshit is the exact opposite of forward thinking.

One big con about Seattle itself is that the planning that went into the layout is complete crap, probably for various historical reasons, but the problem also lies in that the local government spins its wheels taking forever to come up with solutions. The roads in disrepair + steep hills+ the rain makes for a really shitty drive across town. Other towns have better street layouts, subways and/or elevated trains. What do we have? a bus system that clogs roads even more and a mayor that keeps encouraging people to ride their bicycles rather than drive. Several proposals for transportation solutions have taken forever to pass, or have been canceled. We also have two old major roadways, the 520 bridge (which is a complete chokepoint at two lanes each way) and the alaska way viaduct (which is old and feared to come crashing down at the next earthquake) which they continually fail to get fixed. Traffic around Seattle is a nightmare, and coming along the freeways from any direction is as well.

For whoever gets here with a job, I highly suggest you live as close to work as you can.
  • ericleekessler
    i always enjoy being a walking distance away from a job =]
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I have lived a lot of places, including Seattle. It is really hard to get an objective opinion about a place without knowing a person's frame of reference. I would say Seattle is better than anywhere that I have lived in Texas, Iowa or Oklahoma-- better than the outskirts of Denver, but edged out by Berkeley, CA because of Seattle's worse weather and public transport.

I lived in Seattle without a car for years. It is not so bad if you like to walk, or can read on the bus. The weather is not the greatest, but it won't kill you like summers in Texas or winters in Iowa.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Living in any city sucks bawls. I've been in Redmond (east side) for about 5 months now. I love it over here. Absolutely beautiful. Quiet yet close to the city if need be (about 20 minutes), and everything else I need is nearby. My work is about 2 miles away as well.

It doesn't rain here as much as everyone says it does, but it's more often than say, California. The only downside I have with living here is that it's expensive. I live paycheck to paycheck and that's not fun to do. With everything moving towards "green" and organic, the prices skyrocket. Six dollars for a bunch of asparagus? wtfz. The Redmond town market (farmers market) is a godsend the last few weeks. :)
  • ericleekessler
    I always thought Seattle was cheaper than cali? and while i lived in Vancouver, farmers markets were always fantastic to do shopping, good food for good prices!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't lived in Cali since I was 18, so I'm really not sure what it's like now. We lived more inland there anyways (Hollister), so it was relatively cheap for the time. Seattle is expensive though. I'm paying $1310 + water + sewer on top of electric (which is also expensive, considering the size of this place). My apartment in Reno was almost twice the size, had a better kitchen, cost $1170 and water+sewer were included. Energy was also ~$50/month, while it's ~$85 or more here. Just stuff to adjust to :)

I love the area though. Never want to move again.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I love it here.

I just moved here to get into the game industry and be back in the mountains with good places to snowboard or rock cilmb. Currently doing a tech job to pay the bills but there is a lot more opportunity here then back home and I looove the area.

If you're a bike commuter like I am you will enjoy all the bike trails. There are still plenty of assholes in steel coffins but overall everyone is pretty cool. The traffic is pretty gnarly if you have to drive but blowing by cars in the bike lane is hilarious especially when there backed up for a mile or more just to get through a stop sign.
  • ericleekessler
    I do enjoy biking, and if anything i'd end up sharing an apartment or something so i'm not paying nearly $1,500 a month like Vassago :P, I've been hitting up some studios out that way in Seattle, currently don't have the money to just pick up and move that way, I wish i did. But it sounds like it's deffinately the place to be.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    Seattle is WIN
    LA is FAIL
  • ericleekessler
    such anger towards LA, Santa Monica is nice, expensive but nice
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    It's the weather man, just too fucking hot.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Santa Monica is nice?...
    I was there for about a week for E3 2004. Shit. Hole. (imo)
    Garbage on the streets, pot heads smokin' up on the beach across the street. Awesome.

If you like surfing, maybe it's really nice. But the area in general is pretty low rent trashy if you ask me.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    lol vassago, santa monica is where the rich kids live. I dont even wanna know what you'd think of my part of LA...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Vassago mind saying how big your apartment is? That's a pretty damn pricey place, is it one of the newer complexes? I got a place for $1000 a month, 1000 square foot townhome with a back yard in kirkland, and have checked around and found other large places for similar prices, firstexclusive.com and craigslist are awwwwesome.