Home General Discussion

Toonami's been shut down

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
Came home from hanging out with friends, put on Cartoon Network cause nothing else worth watching was on. They were playing an episode of Samurai Jack, which I'll always gladly watch... then this played.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCAX4cgszCU[/ame]

:(

Totally random that I happened to catch it, but glad I did. Bummed that they ended the block, quite a few years of good shows, even if they were often heavily editted / censored for our 'virgin eyes'.

I was a bit curious about the narrator's comments at the end, so I popped up wikipedia and found this interesting tidbit:
At the end of Toonami's final airing, the host, voiced by Steven Blum, ended the block by saying "bang", echoing the final word of his character Spike Spiegel at the end of Cowboy Bebop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonami

Replies

• snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    :(

Toonami helped to get me into anime and manga. Looking around my room, I dunno what my life would be like without Toonami airing when it did.
    I owe them a lot for the inspiration and memories.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    That fucking sucks! With out that and adult swim my college life would have sucked. Pretty much the only things on in my apt were scifi channel and cartoon network during toonami and adult swim. So many good shows... At least i still have adult swim.

Side note as i kid i grew up with heats of space being the sounds that lulled me to sleep but in college it was the ending theme to cowboy bebop as i normally passed out about then.
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly I won't miss it, dunno what the channel plays in America but over here 9/10 of the time it's just awful western anime. Rarely did I catch any old favorite cartoon cartoons. I'd watch some toonami and suddenly understand why I hated all the anime nerds in college so much xD

Maybe it's a totally different channel over there.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Well, Toonami's line-up had suffered in recent years, largely due to the growing success of Adult Swim. (which often poached shows that might have shown up on Toonami) I still remember when Toonami would air episodes of Tenchi Muyo right in the middle of the afternoon. (a series whose sexually charged content would have made it a much better fit for adult swim)

Though I can understand that there is little need these days for the Toonami block of programming, it is still sad to see it go. I actually caught the notice last night as well, purely by coincidence. I was at my parent's place, and just happened to be watching Samurai Jack because I couldn't find anything else on. (I don't even have cable at my own house) So many good memories...
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Adult Swim is pretty cool and did a good job showing the more 'adult' anime. It has had a lot of really good shows over the years but it's mostly turned into crappy low budget stoner humor crap. They still show anime but from the bumps it feels as if they are only doing it to keep hoards of anime viewers.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    well I guess I won't be watching tv anymore. I like most of the anime shown, some of it was really bad though, :D This sucks.
  • stimpack
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    ouch, thats seriously like a kick to the chest for me. rip toonami, till we meet again in some dvd rerun heaven...
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy wrote: »
    it's mostly turned into crappy low budget stoner humor crap

You know, I've been trying to find the best way to describe Adult Swim, and I think you just nailed it. :D!
  • Generalvivi
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    Ah that sucks! I loved Toonami! They got me into so much stuff! I also couldn't wait to get home from school to watch tv! T_T <3 Toonami!
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 17
    only channel here which showed cool anime was mtv... and vox(i think its bbc in uk) so you were lucky to have an anime channel until now :D
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I'll never forget seeing
    IT'S OVER 9000!!!!

for the first time. RIP Toonami :(
  • swampbug
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, toonami during college was great. DBZ and Freeza saga (my first manly soap opera) The New heman cartoon, The dAFT punk Music anime videos, the cool CG bumpers, and segways.

I haven't had cable in years, but it was good TV times.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I remember a few years back I had the "AZN" channel (yes that was the channel name), which had some good anime lineups, but more recently I checked and it looked like it was special subscription only. Anime is still pretty niche in America though, hopefully there is or soon will be some site where you can check out anime for free like watching tv shows on hulu.com.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    There are sites ebagg. If you get the download helper extension for firefox that has links to all kinds of sites, but it's not the same. You can get to see a lot of anime and whatever but a lot is in Japanese and since I don't speak it yet, I prefer to watch it in english. You can see all the episodes of the transformers for example. But still not the same as watching on tv. I'll be tuning in next saturday to see what the hell they are going to do with my shows... :D I sort of like Naruto, yeah whatever, I think it's funny at times... I wonder if they will cancel it and the toons on adult swim saturday at midnight. I'll have to pick up drinking at that point since I won't have anything to do except work on my 3d stuff. Hmm now that's and idea.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Sage wrote: »
    I sort of like Naruto, yeah whatever, I think it's funny at times...

There's nothing wrong with liking Naruto. There is something wrong if you like the voice actors for the English dub, but we won't go into that right now. Naruto is a very appealing show. The biggest problem with it is that it suffers from filler-itis. You could cull over one hundred episodes from the series and never miss them. It has worse filler than DBZ. (another series with significant padding) Filler episodes are the largest contributors to crappy anime.
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Holy shit a tear came to my eye.
    I remembered that episode, and the entire series...
    Bebop was the best, and you can't imagine how much it has inspired me.
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    ebagg wrote: »
    hopefully there is or soon will be some site where you can check out anime for free like watching tv shows on hulu.com.

http://www.animesquish.com/
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit a tear came to my eye.
    I remembered that episode, and the entire series...
    Bebop was the best, and you can't imagine how much it has inspired me.

I made the mistake of binging on Bebop when I managed to get ahold of the entire series. I seriously think that was the downfall of my major interest in watching anime. Never thought a 'cartoon' could be such a downer.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Richard Kain I have heard worst voice overs than what is usually done with the Anime on cartoon network, so it really doesn't bug me most of the time. I especially hate when titles and names get translated, especially since it usually has nothing to do with the original names or title. This happens a lot with shows and movies translated from English to Spanish for example. Yes I speak Spanish, it's my first language... With Anime it's not a big deal to me since I don't speak the language, if I did it probably would bother me since there are a lot of changes that get done to the shows at times.