Home General Discussion

PSP 2.81 homebrew

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
Hello

I recently picked up a PSP and considered running some of the 3d homebrew things on it.

However it's been upgraded to 2.81 and from what I understand, there is no work around.

any clues?

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    might fancy a look at http://pspupdates.qj.net/ and search for custom firmwares and read throuh the install descriptions. there should be some info on there, really. and it also can make a difference if you got the original model or the 2000-series PSP slim.
    but generally i thought the problem had been solved a while ago thanks to pandora battery.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gave up on PSP homebrew. You almost need two PSP's one that updates so you can play games, and a second that stays locked in the past and allows you to do homebrew. The constant updates with every new game where troubling, and knowing that they only really update it to combat piracy and stop homebrew, just made it worse.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    it's not like there have been worthwhile retail games for the system in a while ;) unless you were into monster hunter, perhaps. very nice box for homebrew tho and my favourite to play emulated things on. mobiles just don't come with decent enough controls.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=116426

there you go. just picked up a psp a few weeks ago and came with 3.somthing official firmware. Took a bit of searching but finally found it (got a slim psp and only one battery).

Just try and follow it to the letter, and yes graphite worked suprisingly (srsly had my doubts).
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    www.pspmod.com

They have a few guides for how to get custom firmware onto your PSP, so that then you can use homebrew. You can either hardmod your battery to make it a Pandora battery for installing homebrew or you can use a Datel Tool battery (made by Datel the company that sells 3rd party stuff for most consoles). You'll also need a magic memory stick which you can find out about there. But yeah, what Vig said. I haven't changed mine over yet because I find it does 90% of what I want already, plus if there's ever an update and something official (like a game, or Sony's store) needs it, you're out of luck until M33 releases another custom firmware.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'm not so much interested in the games that ship for the PSP, as I picked this up for next to nothing. Did play wipeout pure for a while, top class game that.

I guess I'm more interested in the homebrew part of it. Thanks for the links. Seems like a right palaver but will take a crack at it. I have no idea if my one is a slim one (feels like I'm holding an atari lynx!) but will soon find out
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The quickest way to determine if its a slim or not is that the slim has a speaker dot near the direction pad and the shape button pad (at the top), plus on the serial sticker on the bottom it'll say "PSP2001" at the end.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I've got a PSP slim and was able to snag a 'Pandora Battery' and 'Magic Memory Stick' off of the ebays before they decided not to allow those. Worked great, was able to mod the firmware several times, as well as about 5-6 other psp's at work.

Now I'm playing up the Monster Hunter Freedom 2G, with the engrish patch. luvly.

Hawken- I'm sure there are plenty of 'places' you can take that PSP to to have them mod out.
  • spyrewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken - as was stated above there are alot of places about plus some you can just buy a pandora battery and a Magic memory stick than all you need to do is just pop in the battery and mem stick and it sorts you out itself

- the easiest way to tell if your psp is a slim is if it has an auto ejector for the umd (it springs open) then it is not a slim, if it does it is a fat one,

either way you can put CFW on both now anyways, I've seen a nice feature that alow video out put via usb to inputs now too that looked pretty damn sweet. (for fat psp)
    Monster Hunter Freedom 2G, with the engrish patch. luvly.

one of the reasons I wanna CFW my psp. so i can finally pick up a copy of MHF2g, they are seriously taking way to much time bringing this over here, on a side note to xenobond if your into MH, there has been more info on MH3 realease recently...(i don't wanna hijack the thread though)
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://us.codejunkies.com/Departments/PSP.aspx

The "Tool Battery" or "Service Tool Battery" is the Pandora battery you can use. Also they sell a device that will take the battery you already have and convert it into a service tool battery/pandora battery, and then back to a regular one.

CFW for me would be so I don't have to lug my UMDs everywhere, and for BookR.