Home General Discussion

Redbull gives you WIND!

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
That is all.

*pfffft*

Does any brits have any recommendations on budget energy drinks?

Been living on Asda's Emerge and now on Euro Shopper's Energy drink, I'm too poor for Redbull so having to do with the cheapy options lol

So how's everyone's evening going?

Replies

• East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Skip them altogether. You don't really need energy drinks in your diet. All you're doing is shortening your life :P

Did you have that habit before? I've realised since I've moved here that Brits have a really strange, pronounced love for the energy drinks..
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Nah, let him drink them when he gets diabetes he can go sue them. Oh wait you guys don't do that in England. :D I guess you should move to the USA. where you can sue places like Mc Donald for making you fat after you ate there healthy burgers and fries everyday for over 20 years.

I'm about to go sue Pepsi for making me addicted to their drink. :D I have a headache for not drinking their crap...

But seriously that crap is bad for you don't drink it. It also taste awful.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe

Until this week, I'd only drink energy drinks with vodka (once in a blue moon) and whilst driving from Leeds to Portsmouth and back again- I've been trying to get an art test done for the last few days and needed the extra oomph later on at night heh

I think the whole energy drink obsession comes from the fact we work more hours than many other countries and due to shite diets, need a quick caffiene/sugar rush to keep things ticking along lol
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    If you need energy...

*Eat healthy
    *Exercise
    *Get some sleep
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol @ sage

I'm also addicted to pepsi/coke, not a good thing- was hoping to get it out of my system when I moved back down to Portsmouth but it's not really happened- Asda are doing special offers and so my dad buys it by the bucket load.... and I've got a weak will :p
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Time your caffeine headache to coincide with a hangover. By the time you are over both you will be good. XD (That's how I did it, on accident lol)

For energy drinks, I've only had Bawls. None of the others sound tempting. And I never drink a lot of it. One can a day when I was working late on campus.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i had one experience drinking 10 cans of energy drinks and had a serious headache (more than after a bottle gin) never do that again, btw here can = 40ct, 0,5l bottle = 50ct 2l bottle = 2€
    same goes for redbull , but x2

that stuff is just gross
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [MILES] wrote: »
    If you need energy...

*Eat healthy
    *Exercise
    *Get some sleep

/preachmobile

Seriously now. It's not always that easy, Miles. I developed medical conditions which make "normal" exercise extremely painful. It's also not always possible to get a lot of sleep. With the hours people work and the tasks that have to be crammed into an average day, most people are lucky to get 6hrs, if that. Eating healthy is possible, but it gets expensive. You can buy 5 cheeseburgers for the price of 1 bushel of asparagus (and your pee won't smell :P).

They are great guidelines, but not in the assuming, know-it-all-mindset you seemed to delivered it with. Everyone gets down and out sometimes, for a myriad of reasons. These things aren't always possible to obtain.

As for the drinks, I've had Bawls in the past. Tasty stuff, but watch the guarana as it can raise BP and heart rate quite a bit. FRS is available at most health stores (like GNC) and is quite amazing. I had one and didn't feel tired all day, but who knows if that was the drink or not. Coffee is also great, but you can crash after about 3-4hrs, so watch for that as well.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    ^
    Eating healthy, exercising and getting plenty of sleep isn't always easy, that's true. You know what is easy? Coming up with excuses why you can't eat healthy, exercise and get plenty of sleep!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    ive heard of this brown liquid made from magic beans, drink that with a little nipple juice and some sweet powdery stuff.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nooooo skip the powdery stuff :P unless you want to ruin it :D
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    you can get something very similar in satansburys for about 1 quid 10, blue bottle I think it was.

tastes the same as red bull to me

Miles - i still cook with lard:)
  • Joao Sapiro
  • DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    lol Jet ftw!

Here is a decent link for energy drink reviews:

http://taurinerules.blogspot.com/

I've pretty much tired them all and always go back to Sobe's ARush, they have a decent mix of ingredients without all the sugar and crap and I never get the jitters or crash after wards. It also has B vitamins aswell as C, which most energy drinks don't contain so it could actually be considered good for you ;) Sobe's NoFear is also pretty decent, but gives you more of a big quick boost rather than an extended one like ARush.

-DK >^..^<
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this thread is keeping me amused- Just gone 2am, about to have my 3rd can of the evening... got another 4 hours before I collapse in to bed, this art test is killing me! and it's all my own fault! lol
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .. not worth it.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The programmers in our office run on some Red Bull knock-off called Red-X. Or Relentless when they feel like splashing out a bit of cash.

Myself, I've always found that if Yorkshire Tea can't do it then it is, infact, impossible.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    snemmy wrote: »
    Time your caffeine headache to coincide with a hangover. By the time you are over both you will be good. XD (That's how I did it, on accident lol)

For energy drinks, I've only had Bawls. None of the others sound tempting. And I never drink a lot of it. One can a day when I was working late on campus.

This is because of your latent homosexuality.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    you can get something very similar in satansburys for about 1 quid 10, blue bottle I think it was.
    Jus' suckin down Satan's Berries. Mm-mm. Bawls isn't much better. I mean you'd think they'd want to downplay the source of taurine in their marketing, right?
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    At the peak of my energy drink addiction, i was inlove with the sobe nofear energy drink. It was very apply....mmmmm sweet sweet memories of tossn back a can after 8 hours of school in the fex ex parking lot right before i went in to work my graveyard shift....then wander home to down some tylenol pm and hope i wake up in time for my 8am class to do it all over again. on the weekends i toss vodka into the mix and heckle people from my 4th story apt balcony that overlooked a major street O_O college......

but ummm yea, exercise, healthy, sleep....... yea
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If they have it out there, Xyience's Xenergy energy drink is tops. No sugar, no calories, no come-down from the rush.

http://www.xyience.com/t-new_xenergy_flavors.aspx
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I use energy drinks for three things;
    -mixing with alcohol
    -sobering up from drunkenness
    -recovering from a hangover

I hate to preach but I agree, leading a healthy lifestyle will give you much more energy than a habitual caffiene diet ever will.

(yes I realize the first part of this post contradicts the second part, that is how I roll with energy drinks)
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, Vas...I hardly know it all, and it wasn't my intention to come across that way. I'm sorry if I left that impression. I've just found that if I eat healthy, exercise, and get good rest...I maintain a consistently high energy level. (Not too dissimilar to that of Dick Van Dyke doing "Step in Time."). :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I-b_GJ4ltk[/ame]

Ruz, lard rocks! :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well just saying, not everyone can exercise normally is all. I developed medical conditions 4 years ago while I was much healthier, working out 4 days a week. Just happened out of nowhere. The condition I have gets much worse when I stress it with exercise, so I can only do light stuff.

It's not always easy as you said and it's not an excuse, either. It's a physical inability to do so. If i could do more, I would, and I have in the past. Maybe that will improve down the road, maybe not.

Energy drinks are good supplements for times when you just can't keep up. Working 15hr days, a person is not going to come home to spend an hour cooking a meal and then work out. Just not going to happen. By all means you're right in that a healthy lifestyle is best - of course it is. But it's impossible to maintain day in day out in our industry. Everyone slips here and there. :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Some large lawfirms in the UK have vhronic workloads and people there work silly hours, they've moved up a gear from energy drinks and inhale white powder up the nose with a £10 note to cope with stress and workload. No it aint healthy either..
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made from girders!
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    This will kick you into overdrive!

spikeShooterCan_3.jpg

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 8.4 fl oz (250 mL) Servings Per Container: 1
    Amount Per Serving %DV*
    Calories
    Total Fat 0 g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
    Trans Fat 0 g **
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 65 mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrate 0 g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugars 0 g **
    Protein 0 g 0%
    B12 (methylcobalamin)
    1,500 mcg 25,000 %
    SPIKE® Shooter Formula
    1,057 mg **
    N-acetyl-L-tyrosine
    Caffeine anhydrous **
    Yohimbine HCl **
    Total Caffeine 300 mg **

* Percent Daily Values (%DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

** Daily Value not established

RECOMMENDED USE: Begin use with one-half can daily to determine tolerance. Never exceed one can daily.

CAUTION: This product contains strong stimulants and should not be combined with any other stimulant or fat-loss product.

WARNING: Do not use if you are under the age of 18 or elderly. Do not take with any other stimulant or weight-loss supplement or any prescription or over-the-counter medicine. Do not use if you are pregnant or nursing or at risk of being treated for high-blood pressure, heart disease, hyperthyroidism, spasms, psychiatric disease, suffer from migraines, have asthma, or are taking asthma medication. Discontinue use if you experience dizziness, headache, nausea, or heart palpitations. If you have trouble sleeping, do not take within 6 hours of bedtime. Keep out of reach of children.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    [MILES] wrote: »
    I've just found that if I eat healthy, exercise, and get good rest...I maintain a consistently high energy level.

Ive found that too. bought a bike so I could exercise on my way to and from work. Problem is working crazy late hours in the biz makes it so the last thing you want to do at 1 or 2 in the morning is bike 30 min to get home.

so the slippery slope of coffee and f-ed up sleeping schedule begins.
    I`d rather slurp rancid monkey shit out of a giraffes asshole than crunch these days..

lol
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah blue bolt it was. tastes ok
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You guys really drink that ... thing?
    On the same note, makes me laugh when they offer a free 'boost' and Jamba Juice. I just want *fruits* damnit haha.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    You guys really drink that ... thing?
    On the same note, makes me laugh when they offer a free 'boost' and Jamba Juice. I just want *fruits* damnit haha.

Ha, and they look at you funny and say "but its free!?" when you say no. You could toss a hotdog in the blender for free it doesn't mean I want it too...

_41047899_hitchhikers_rockwell203.jpg
    ^ This guy has a hat you might be interested in...
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Our company provides free soft drinks. Coca-cola, Fanta, etc. As much as we can drink. Which seemed like a good perk at first, and I suppose helped during crunch, but now I kind of wish we'd subsidise a gym membership or something instead.

That SPIKE thing looks pretty daunting, PixelGoat :P
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    a nice cuppa tea. it's all you'll ever need. :)
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    An energy drink for men!...MENERGY!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Green tea, IT WORKS, and gives your insides a clean too

steer clear of those nitros in a can, your just storeing your itredness for the way hme, you dont want to know the stats for game developers in fatal car crashes...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Yep, Matcha works wonders...not to be confused with ephedrine.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    Well just saying, not everyone can exercise normally is all. I developed medical conditions 4 years ago while I was much healthier, working out 4 days a week. Just happened out of nowhere. The condition I have gets much worse when I stress it with exercise, so I can only do light stuff.

It's not always easy as you said and it's not an excuse, either. It's a physical inability to do so. If i could do more, I would, and I have in the past. Maybe that will improve down the road, maybe not.

Energy drinks are good supplements for times when you just can't keep up. Working 15hr days, a person is not going to come home to spend an hour cooking a meal and then work out. Just not going to happen. By all means you're right in that a healthy lifestyle is best - of course it is. But it's impossible to maintain day in day out in our industry. Everyone slips here and there. :)

...yeah...and it is very easy to get burned out on chicken and oats. Slippage is manditory. :)
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    Green tea, IT WORKS, and gives your insides a clean too

steer clear of those nitros in a can, your just storeing your itredness for the way hme, you dont want to know the stats for game developers in fatal car crashes...

...never had one, but from what I hear...nothing works better than a kidney stone to get you off junk-water. I'll second Shep's comment about Green Tea. It's a good one.

Though it is a bit expensive, hibiscus tea is also very good and contains no caffeine. Mix in some white grape juice, a few mint leaves, and some lemon zest...and you'll have to bring a stick with you to work to keep the others from drinking it up.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Vassago wrote: »
    Working 15hr days, a person is not going to come home to spend an hour cooking a meal and then work out. Just not going to happen. By all means you're right in that a healthy lifestyle is best - of course it is. But it's impossible to maintain day in day out in our industry. Everyone slips here and there. :)

So keep quick, easy to eat sources of food (with balanced nutrition specific for what you want -- small, healthy doses of carbs early and middle of the day for energy will do wonders) and eat many small meals throughout the day.

For the first week or two you'll miss your energy drinks, but once your body adjusts you'll have all of the energy and alertness you need, without the pent up jittery caffeine feeling you may not even be noticing. Plus your diet will probably become much healthier.

The time it took to make this thread and read it couldve been much better spent asking intelligent nutrition questions on another message board. Energy drinks are bad stuff overall -- they make a nice treat on a day when you want to go 150% on something you enjoy, but are a horrible way to manage your work.

Miles -- key to a healthy diet is variety. Plus chicken and oats isn't exactly ideal nutrition.

Anyway. If you want to avoid learning, changing, or listening to reason... Powerthirst all the way.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, 8FtSpider's post reminded me of this (audio NSFW):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nivR8LkSn1Q[/ame]

I personally steer clear of energy drinks, way too blatantly chemical-cocktail-ish for my delicate tastes. I prefer having chemicals snuck into my food. A good, strong coffee is the shit, sirs.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore - you are absolutely right. As for "chicken and oats," I was just being very generic in my comment. :)
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Chiken breast and Oats are high on the list

. U people dont know shit about nutrition.
    Energy drinks. LOL.

YASH, all thoses threads makes me LAUGH!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    b1ll wrote: »
    Chiken breast and Oats are high on the list

Chicken breast and oats alone is leaving massive holes in your diet, which is what i was getting at. Obviously they're both pretty healthy foods, but eating nothing but would be a horrible idea -- which is actually a realistic scenario. We have much dumber popular diets in America so i was clarifying.

You need some henchmen to post for you, or something, we don't have enough of your U LOL speak to end threads. :(
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon wrote: »
    Made from girders!

Girders and Chavs! :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Girders and Chavs! :D
    Considering you are what you eat... not exactly a selling point.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    true that, been trying to stop drinking it for a while :poly141: