Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hadron (High Poly)

Hi Guys first post :) , i am getting very close to finishing my Digital Apprentice Competition Entry and am looking for heavy critique at both, a functional and aesthetical point of view to iron out any thing i can in the last couple of days.

everything is my own design from the ground up so far. Quite a few covering up pieces need to go over the internal pieces still.

So critique is pretty much only what im looking for.
Brief is a stealth walking mech thats badass :)

Latest Progress. :\

part1pi4.jpg
part2cj7.jpg
hadronpass2ax8.jpg

Replies

• DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    Foiled again! I read your title as "Hardon" ;p

Your model is pretty funky, looks functional and biiiiig. I'm not much into inorganic things so I'm afraid I have no crits for you ;)

-DK >^..^<
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Fuck- really nice surfaces. - cant really crit much on those because they seem pretty tight/spot on/perfect to me. the head however, seems a little stuck on, last minute.

Psychoform`s spidermech might get the juices flowing a bit.

http://www.psychoform.com/
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would love to see some wires of this. It must've been a gruesome task to lay all the smoothing edges on this badboy :o

Awesome stuff.
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, well thought out detail :)

First thought in my mind is a hi res version of the hadron collider
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    youve got some really fucking great hard surface modeling and a cool looking set of bot action there. I expected a recreation of one of the hadron colliders sensors, though. haha.

Great work my man.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice work man. Can we see some wires? Mainly only critque from me is that joint on the elbow part seems a bit wierd.. and almost looks like its floating.. How is it connected and what is the rotational limitation on it? Oh yeah, I agree, the head doesnt look as detailed as the rest of the model. By the way, are you the Sathe that left 3dtotal? You were really well known there man. Good to see you again.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is some pretty slick modeling man, good job.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH hai grant! what i told you about fanbois ahahahahaha
    anywho. this is looking pretty solid.
    someone mentioned the head. yeah. thats what i dont like that much, but as you said its more of a design thing from you.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Foiled again! I read your title as "Hardon" ;p

Your model is pretty funky, looks functional and biiiiig. I'm not much into inorganic things so I'm afraid I have no crits for you ;)

-DK >^..^<

AHAHAHHAHAH!! Omg you too?
    I was all... whaa, a hardon? o0 -click
    ohhh. HaDRon. Gotcha.

But seriously, it looks amazing to me, nothing I can see to crit. GL with it :)
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    Super sexy modeling. Would be awesome to see em in action!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    lol, when i saw the title i thought you were gonna model the LHC or something haha.

awesome job though man. hope you add that as a vehicle in UT3 :D
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    that's some nice modeling
  • sathe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys, thanks for your feedback, the head comment i agree, it did look totaly stuck on, so i have shrunk it down 30% and am working on making it look more solidly connected like the rest. Its one of the few remaining things to do so i will pay close attention to it.

Once again, really hammer in to me, you don't need to be nice although i do appreciate it.

and yeh, i am sathe from threedy :poly142:

Edit: Apologies just woke up and missed a few things.

Will get wires up of the finished 100%.

Also thanks for the Link to Psychoforms website, no idea he existed and this was a huge moral boost when i saw his work on the mech and transformers, exactly what i needed!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's really cool :)
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Really cool yep, it's hard to see this kind of models nowadays, seems like almost all ppl avoid real Mesh work :D.

Great work!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    green ftw!

thats pretty sweet :)
  • sathe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the compliments but really i am looking for harshness here.
    want to correct as much stupid shit as possible. 30 hours to go ;)

HadronNeck_Update.jpg
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still think the head could use alot more work and detailing. The shillouette right now looks like a big simple shape that looks like the mechbot from Robocop. The eyes look pretty simple and generic too. Go lot crazyier with the head man thats the most focal part of it and since it is a big shape of the whole model.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome hardsurface modeling man. I agree with some of the other comments, you should really add more detail on the head...or more so under the head. Other then that you should be proud, this is top notch stuff.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    mm i disagree with the comments about the head needing more detail... maybe some very minor detailing? But damn, let a brother's eye rest, you know? Gotta stop somewhere.
  • sathe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the critique! I will be adding more details to the head now!
    The problem is it cannot be large detail. The Brief emphasizes stealth and therefore im keeping it as simple as possible for minimising on radar....even though technically its on the ground its bullshit cause radar would be barely useful at all. however i have specifically tried to avoid going apeshit on the head :)
    Its been redesigned from scratch 4 times so if you could give me some examples of what type of detail i can better tackle it. Right now im trying to figure out what i needs?

Thanks heaps, this is great, keep slamming me. Any other stuff that is off let me know.,
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. Nice clean modelling and interesting flowing shapes! It's refreshing to see this kind of hardcore modelling.
    Here's hoping for some base wireframes!
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I were you, I would think about cutting in more grooves and add more depth on the details of the head. Overall, the head seems flat. I mean, its kool that it looks aerodynamic and you should keep that. But for example, cutting some area open under the eye part, which can then reveal some kool mechanical details and such.. The eye itself can be more kooler, with a bit more detailed mechanics on it rather than a generic headlight eye. Anyway, thats my 2 cents. Good Luck man! GO GO GO!!!
  • sathe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is an Outdated Wire il post up many when its completed!

wireframe.jpg (1.1 MB)

Edit, Thanks Clee! Sweet idea with the cut under the eye. As soon as i get this back stuff made i will get on it.
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The arms are short-ish. It makes the legs look too imposing. I would try to balance off that equation. The arm with the big gun is not giving the model a lot of strenght, as it goes back. Maybe it should be bigger towards the front, instead of the back. Make the gun a bit less slick and more hard angles, it would create a nice contrast! Nothing like a huge gun with a big belt of crazy high tech bullets wrapping around it! The arm with the small gun looks reall weak.. I think it's the weird joint you got going on there, and the forearm looks shortish - somewhat ineffective. Also, I agree with some of the comments on the head - it looks too clean compared with other parts, lacking some detail. I'm not saying make it super detail, but add some finer parts here and there on the head to make it come together with the rest of the model. Good luck man. You have some great stuff there!
  • sathe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Corrosion, thank you!

I agree with the arms, ive had a feeling they may be too short, definately in the rigging pose, when stretched out its less noticeable at least. Il Fix it up, and work on the Joint.
    Joints have been the hardest. Cause it needs 360* degree rotation and the ability to flex up and down without intersecting.

Good idea with the Right hand gun balancing, il try and ad some detail bottom front to weight it up more.

I will be taking a strong look again at Psychoforms mech and adding some more paneling detail.

Thanks heaps for this dudes

keep it comin!
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem man. Glad you liked the idea. Also, I agree with corrosion on the arms and guns. The length of the upperarm joints are both short. Extending them would add a nice balance.. and also making the size of the gun bigger and bulkier on the side with the grenade launcher type gun than the other side with the long range type gun would push the shillouette more interesting. Keep at it man, cant wait to see this badboy finished!!!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • sathe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your encouragement, but mostly critical feedback,

I have finished the model now, unfortunately there was alot to fix and i didnt have time to accommodate all the changes so for the competition entry renders i will have to go with as much as i could fix and come back to it in a few days when im fresh and properly make all the changes i wanted.

Will get all the stuff up in a few hours when its done, CHeers,

Grant.
  • sathe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the Final for Submission but will continue to make changes after a little break.

Once again thank you everyone here for your thought out crits and encouragements, Really awesome.

Hadron_Final_Small2.jpg
    Hadron_Final_Small.jpg

Ultra Highres-
    Retouch.jpg
    Retouch2.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work Grant! this is definatly a winner!
    Just not too sure on that bump on the black material
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    amazing renders, it really makes the eye wanna look everywhere. my only crit is that it doesnt look like it could transform in a 18 wheeler... :(
    just kidding, this thing kicks ass!

great job.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    sathe wrote: »
    here is an Outdated Wire il post up many when its completed!

wireframe.jpg (1.1 MB)

wtb completed wires :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a big hard edged Hadron you have there.

Seriously I almost skipped this thread because my mind read something else... I'm glad I didn't awesome work so far!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    incredible work, yeah the speckle on the black material looks a bit strange
  • sathe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Breakdown, Cheers guys!

HAdron_Parts.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Goes right to inspiration folder. Only crit would be the front part of the head still needs some more detail to match the rest of the model. Just some small subtle stuff would really do this great I think.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    fecking lurvly
    love the inconel 625 high-density aerospace alloy esp
    and cheap too
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    the head just needs panelization.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work.. that will have to go in my inspiration folder as well.
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it looks mighty cool!