Home General Discussion

Star Trek

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
You guys 'Trekkies'?

I consider myself one. I love the lore. Love it all. Except for Star Trek:Enterprise, boo.

Been burning through Deep Space nine the past month or so, currently 3/4's through Season 6 and this series is TON better than I remember it being.

I find myself on IMDB often while watching the show, part of my enjoyment is learning about the actors and episodes.

Next up is a re-run through of Voyager.

So, Trekkie?

Replies

• TheSplash
    woah crazy!, I just watched that documentary "trekkies" like 20 mins ago, now I wanna see the second one.
    Ive never watched the show, it's a bit before my time i think.
    so no, not a trekkie.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If I may, I suggest you 'acquire' full seasons of The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, or Voyager. You'll enjoy it if you can get past how it's not exactly continuous story telling like todays television shows.
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, I make it a habit to once every year shoot through TNG and DS9 (VOY a bit less often). People often try to find a favourite of the two, but to me they've always been tied, but I find myself going back to watching episodes The Inner Light and Chain of Command from TNG, because they are true TV masterpieces regardless whether you're a trekker or not.

DS9 has more character development, though, which is what I normally prefer, and some really amazing interaction between characters such as Garek and Dr. Bashir.

I do the same with IMDB :) It's really fun, because you always think you recognise the actors underneath some of the alien makeup, spend a while trying to remember whom it is, and then run off to IMDB to either confirm it, or to jog the memory.

Star Trek. Love it :thumbup:
  • DeathKitten
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    I am definitely a fan... not so far as I would want to have a Trekkie themed wedding or anything (Star Wars maybe) but I love the shows!
    Enterprise was a total waste of airtime though :(

How could you not want to be a fan with all this eyecandy?!

uhura1.jpg

scn9.jpg

SevenOfNineJeriRyan.jpg

Lenara_Kahn_and_Jadzia_Dax_kiss.jpg

kira1.jpg

The Orion slave girls from TOS deserve double billing :)

orion_slave_girls.jpg

400px-Orion_slave_girls.jpg

-DK >^..^<
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I can tolerate next generation at 3 in the morning because thats when they often show it, but its a little annoying at times.

Everyone is so goody two shoes:) but its generally watchable.

seen the original star trek too many times now

enterprise definitely sucked. I always hated scott bakula in quantum leap from the 80's
  • Jose Carlos
    I don't consider myself a trekkie, but I do watch DS9, TNG and TOS when they're airing around here.
  • rooster
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    dax is hot

qft

edit: not the old man one, though... jadzia!
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Ruz wrote: »
    I always hated scott bakula in quantum leap from the 80's

THEM IS FIGHTING WORDS!!!

Enterprise was horrible. I'm a huge Star Trek fan, but I refuse to call myself a "trekkie" or "trekker". Growing up, TNG was the show my mom and I would sit back and enjoy together. Some of the TNG movies are pretty ass, however. I even have the original series on VHS. Starting with "The Cage", pretty kick ass stuff.

I really hope Abrams does this new Star Trek movie justice. Plleeeaasssseeeeee. The franchise hasn't been the same since Roddenberry died.

@brome: Voyager is good, but some "die hard fans" love to hate it. DS9 is where it's at though.
  • frostymoose
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    I'm a huge fan of DS9 and Voyager. The Next Generation has some really good episodes, but there just also seems to be a lot more "filler" episodes that I've found hard to get through.

My favorite Star Trek installment is First Contact, though. That is one hell of a movie!
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    My uncle has the entire first series on DVD, which he has passed on to my brother, who watches the show.
    No further than that really, even then I don't really watch it, although I find it enjoyable.
    I'm more just baffled by how every alien seems to be human enough for kirk to mate with it..
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i use to watch the original with my grandfather when i was really little, my grandpa was the only other person in the family that liked sci fi and introduced me to the genre with star trek and old 50's movies like the day the earth stood still. i really liked next generation, but after that i never really got into the other spin offs. i still enjoy watching reruns of the original series and next generation, a few of the movies were cool, my dad took me to the drive in to see a few of them, he always fell asleep.

i am interested to see what J.J. does with the franchise.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Yup Trekkie over here. I grew up on TNG, DS9 and Voyager in that order. I always hated TOS as a kid, but now that we're working on the game, I've been going through them and LOVE IT. It's horribly campy and cheesy and I love every minute of it.

Kirk is constantly amazed by Spock's neck pinch technique, but as far as I am able to tell, ANYONE can be taken out by one of Kirk's quick karate chops to the neck.

My new favorite move of his though, is where he hurtles himself through the air, sideways, to take out 2 or 3 guys at once. LOL

Still a bigger TNG/DS9 fan though.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    no trekkie over here... but i like this little guy

img_223x094_CloneWars.jpg

And space marines too! :D
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Not a trek fan whatsoever. I enjoyed some episodes of TNG as well as the movies, but that's about it. I'm looking forward to JJ's take on the movie, though.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Voyager is my favourite of the bunch, I enjoyed that crew the most. I'd then say TNG is a great crew.

Deep Space Nine often times should be renamed to 'The Quark Happy Hour™'.

One reason why I enjoy DS9 so much is the architecture of the ship, being a Cardassian space port previous to the Federation takeover. I love all the gold & red in the metals, the thin vertical lines, and so on.

Original Star Trek I don't enjoy.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I had some roommates who watched DS9 through about every month. It was indeed enjoyable, though the messiah stuff near the end kind of annoyed me.

TNG I've always been a fan of. Lots of good actors and scripts.
    Didn't watch Voyager very much though.
    TOS haven't seen but a very few eps.
    Enterprise haven't seen any of it except the intro.. way to miss the boat there. lol
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    TNG and the original were cool, Troy gave me some material when I was younger and so did Jeri Ryan, from Voyager a bit later. I thought the lead roles played an important part in whether I enjoyed a Star Trek series, Shattner was the brawn whereas Stewart was the brains, if that makes sense. Voyager was the last section of Star Trek I watched and was far more interesting than DS9 in my eyes. Quantum Leap was excellent but Bakula shouldn't have chosen Star Trek to resurrect his career.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Right there with ya Adam. Bit of a Trekkie, and have been on a big ST kick lately.
    I don't get all the Enterprise hating though. I loved the cast. T'Pol is hotter than a box of fire, and way hotter than 7 of 9 ever was. I really enjoyed that show, especially the production design. The Enterprise never looked so cool. The deeper explorations of the Andorians and Vulcans was always welcome.

It had its issues, especially that boring Xindi storyline, but was 10x better than Voyager. Now that show was total garbage IMO.

Maybe if I bust ass I can get in over at Cryptic and get to work on an ST game. Thats always been a bit of a dream.

\
    MoP wrote: »
    qft
    edit: not the old man one, though... jadzia!

No way. Ezri Dax was the hot one. Smart little waifish pixie chick with black hair? Thats my fucking kryptonite man. But...to each his own.
    She was only on DS9 for the last season.

JadEzri.jpg
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    During the tribble episode of ds9 jadzia dons the skimpy old female uniform, which set my phaser to BONER.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    adamBrome wrote: »
    During the tribble episode of ds9 jadzia dons the skimpy old female uniform, which set my phaser to BONER.
    HAHAHAHAHA!

I've never been big on Star Trek, but I really did enjoy watching Voyager. Over 10 years ago while my mum was studying, she would kick me off the computer to type up an assignment or something and I had to stay up to proof read stuff when she was finished. So I would watch Voyager because it was on late at night.
    I definitely wouldn't mind getting a hold of it again and watching it and maybe even some of the other series'.

-caseyjones
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    No way. Ezri Dax was the hot one. Smart little waifish pixie chick with black hair? Thats my fucking kryptonite man. But...to each his own.
    She was only on DS9 for the last season.

JadEzri.jpg

Hell. Yes.

I've been a bit of a Star Trek fan since my older brother introduced me to it in the early nineties by watching TNG every single day. He was a bit of a geek and it sort of rubbed off on me.
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Huge star trek nerd here, Picard was the best captain hands down. Voyager was good, Enterprise I enjoyed the Andorians and the high quality special effects. Did not like T'pol's fake boobs. Really wished they kept the show going but with the same quality as the last few episodes. I've watched season 1 of DS9, wasn't that impressed, but after reading some of your comments I'm going to give season 2 a shot.
    Let's all pray JJ makes this new one a good one! I have faith in him! Hopefully a new show/series will come out of it...
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I met nicole deboer (ezri) at the toronto scifi con a few years back, she was cute :3

Terry Farrel was hawt, nicole was cute, I wouldn't complain if I had either... with or without spots :P

I used to be a trek fan, but I slowly dropped off when every show turned into how they could solve their problems by rerouting or bypassing some retarded gadget in the ship.

Crapager was the worst ST show... I'd rate Enterprise over voyager any day.

Best trek ever was the run of 2-6 minus 5.

DS9 didn't start getting decent until the dominion started showing up... then got pretty good when they finally got a ship.

I stopped caring about trek when I started watching stargate. :P
  • EarthQuake
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Yep. At least we arent Star Wars Dorks (ducks toy lightsabers being thrown).

IN all seriousness though. I hope the new ST movie next summer gives some new life. I WANT A DS9 MOVIE!

I already have it thought out in my head about some huge event/war (Maybe a War between the Q, the Prophets, and the (anti -prophets forget their name), that causes the prophets to release Sisko back. Where they need to go the the founders homeworld and retrieve Odo We see some interaction between Kira and Odo getting to know one another again. While Jake covers the whole thing for the news. And Quark secret follows them thinking their is a huge profit to be had. Maybe even have interaction with some of the TNG crew (possibly bring back Rikers brother). Worf pops along representing the Klingon Empire. Etc. etc...
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    What's with the Voyager hate? Do explain!

steady - I recommend burning through ST episodes as often as you can in a row. I've been doing about 4 episodes a night now, makes for some entertaining evenings while browsing the web or pushing polys.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    ferg <3 TOS + TNG + DS9