Home Technical Talk

Insubordinate edges in Max 8

This has been bothering me for quite a while now. Every now and then I get edges that come completely detached from one of their verts and either shoot for another vert or the world origin. This has a habit of corrupting the entire scene. But when I try to remove the edge, Max will probably crash. If I try to delete the faces between which the damned edge is, Max will probably crash. Anything I do to get rid of that one edge usually ends up with Max crashing on me and flushing my work down the drain. Kinda infuriating, y'know?

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? How I could prevent it or fix it?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had that happen in older versions of 3dsmax but not recently. It mostly happened when it crashed and I started working with the file it tried to recover. It's better to go to an autoback (but not always) and forget about the recovery files.

It's also happened when it autosaves when I was in the middle of doing something, normally dragging something or creating something new like faces. They fixed that in newer versions also.

I guess if you're stuck using an older version of 3dsmax the best thing would be to manually save often and not use the recovery files.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I have never seen that happen before... but there have been 3 releases of Max since version 8, so you might want to look into upgrading if you can afford it.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Ah yeah, -that- old bug. Converting to edit mesh and then back to edit poly seemed to fix it for me.