Home General Discussion

Funny thing happened on the way back to work

I went out with a few co-workers for a late lunch break, as we where walking back we (a bunch of pasty white guys) passed a black woman in her late 40's early 50's, who was out doing something about her added lbs.

As we got up to her I was talking to another artist about how to add contextually sensitive "ignore backfaces" (see where this is going?) to a script he uses. As she passed I smiled a slightly buzzed smile and said hi everyone else fell silent. She said nothing no eye contact its like we didn't even exist.

When she was about 3 steps behind us the guy I was talking to said "so ignore backfaces, how can we hook that up?" she spun around and said "thats what I thought you said" and launched into a speach I hardly remember, it was all over the place. It ended with us standing there and her saying something like "thats what I thought" and walking off. We just stared at her like she was a nut job.

None of us had a clue what she was going on about and it didn't dawn on us until we got back that she might of thought we said "ignore BLACK faces".

Has work jargon ever gotten you in or out of a wierd situation?

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    While nowhere near that wierd, I got myself a custom license plate that reads VFX DUDE. I've had more than a few people stop and ask me what VFX is, and when I say 'visual fx' or 'video game fx', they usually go "Ah, that's what I thought it was".

Vig.. so how long was the rant? :D
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "I was up boning models all last night."

Nice story Vig. :D

poster_blackface.jpg
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Work jargon usually bores the hell out of people when I talk about it. But back in high school I pissed off a teacher by yelling at my buddy to "SHUT THE FRONT DOOR", and one time I offended a woman when I said the word "barbiturates."
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It could have been worse. You're lucky she heard him say "Ignore back face" and not "cull back faces"
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    closest I've come is the "jesus is f'n metal" penny arcade shirt I have offending people. It's a shame that offends more than my "show me on the doll where to touch you" or "put my willy wonka in your chocolate factory" shirts.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    a guy walked past me yesterday wearing a t-shirt declaring: "NEW FUCKING YORK"
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    In Sydney we had some laws passed that said we couldn't wear offensive t-shirts when the pope was here- fortunately it got overturned a few days after. Crazy.

I was like getting a 'your favourite hym sucks' t-shirt when it was repealed. Seriously, if your gonna get arrested for something, that would be it. :)
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    I had a similar experiance once, me and some mates were going to the corner shop. One told a joke, and we were all giggling to ourselves when a fat lady walking past turned around and said "yea, I know Im fat! blah fucking blah rant etc."

jaded ppl everywhere.

now days I make intentionally racist/sexist/outrageous comments, just for giggles, things that are intentionally not how I feel. I should watch my mouth in public.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I work in the metal industry and a completely corny line about "Being ables to tell the difference between slags and (wh)ores" ... and I hear it every so often and it makes me cringe
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    lol that's messed up, Vig.
    It's crazy how easily people jump to conclusions or base their thoughts on shit they only catch a snippet of.
    Lots of tension and insecurity in the world :|
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's all based on previous experiences, vass. I know I've responded in similar ways myself, when I later realised I'd been wrong.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    While not work jargon, when I was in high school I rode the public bus to and from school, usually with some friends. One of my friends was in woodshop at the time and had made a box. We were sitting at the back of the bus on the way home, laughing and talking as we usually did. As we got downtown, a young woman silently sitting near us, stood up, turned to us and said, "I Don't see what's so funny about rape!" and stormed off the bus.

My friend and I just sat there with our jaws on the floor, looking at eachother to try and figure out what she was talking about. The worst thing I can think we said was probably something about "Finger joining" ? Still feel bad for that woman though. . .
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, awesome story. I had some old lady following me once calling me "Lenny" for some reason for about 10 minutes. Nothing near as bad as this. :D
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    It could have been worse. You're lucky she heard him say "Ignore back face" and not "cull back faces"
    HAHAHA! This had me laughing all thread.
    It definitely shows how insecure some people are about certain things (like with the larger woman in Asmuel's post).

-caseyjones
  • spyrewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha! hate when shit like that happens...i've got a shocker..

I worked in a hotel on a front desk when I was younger, and the process of a guest not checking at the time of cash up we called a "ROLL OVER" as in rolled over to the next day.

well I had this lady who we we're assured was in transit but due to constant delays was rolled over diay in and day out for a whole week. at the end of the week, we were fully booked, and a guest turned up and I had to make the decision wether to check them into the vacant room,

the guest asked "well are there vacancies or not?"

I replied, "Er.. well there is, but I got a room where I have been rolling this lady over in for a week but she still hasn't come yet so....?"

at this point the guest face dropped and my co-worker burst out laughing.... It wasn't untill they re-iterated what i said.....

my face was a red as a beet. damn Lingo/terminology!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    this one only really works in german
    has todo with the similaity of the german words for "facelift" and "to let some air in"
    and a wrinkled teacher in a common classroom many years back...

was like:
    i: could we get some fresh air
    t:what you mean i should get a facelift 0_o
    i: 0_o.... i mean, air, opening windows... you know?
    t: awww....

hmm, even in german its boring...^^
    but nothing really funny happens here, all i do is sleeping in lecture halls for 1000€/jear

on monday a part of a computercase and my belly collided, the computercase won, and now i have a scar where they touched... wasnt really funny for me, but the oters laughed...
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah Vig, indeed messedup ( spyre.. lmao XD )

Had one of those moments some time ago, only not work related

My friend has a dog named "bolle", its dutch and it means "fatty"
    This because the dog was a big puppy at the time.

So this one time we were walking the dog... and he yells his name, at the same time this huge fat lady comes roling in on a bicycle, and looks at us.. WHAAAAaaaatt?

i remember us standing there like ... i guess with a name like that, its only a matter of time xD
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Somewhat related...When I was in college people would ask me what I studied, and I'd say "Game Art and Design". 9 times out of 10 people thought I said Gay-Art and Design. That always led to fun conversations. :)