Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Proxzee's "Blizzard or Bust" HQ

Hello! I've begun my blizzard project!

I'm designing a character class called a Beastmaster. The name will probably change, but the Beastmaster goes around and captures mythical beasts.

Female Beastmaster thumbnails:

thebeastmaster.jpg

Plan:
Make both male and female versions.

I take 3 of these designs and do a refined monochrome for both m and f versions

I model said character

I take the female version, and make an illustration where she is taming a mythical tengu.

I model the environmental assets and create a little diorama inspired by the illustration.

Replies

• Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    You should number these so it is easier for people to comment which ones they like,

I like the top right, and the two on the bottom right. They have the best silhouettes and are most dynamic and interesting IMO. the bottom two are very outdoor-like and Grizzly Adams, I like them a lot. also on the top right the wing/shoulder pads look cool.
  • BoilingOil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoilingOil polycounter lvl 16
    I like the bottom two as well. They look the most Beastmaster-ish.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    top middle one is cool.

this project needs 25% more breasts
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for feedback! Yeah blizzard does like the boobs.

I also like the bottom two. I think ill go with the winged one, and the two beastie ones.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proxzee wrote: »
    thanks for feedback! Yeah blizzard does like the boobs.

I also like the bottom two.[...]

that made my day

on topic: yes I'd vote for the two bottom right. although the right one looks better but it's hard to tell from the sketches which will turn out better.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea the 9th one is one of the strongest. I like how they are hunched and just look more so tribal/beast like.

the other ones seem to be too elegant or overdone. (IE look like a hunter class, or warrior, ect)

So yea my vote is last 2 as well.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Change the class name to Monster Hunter and you've got won. ^_^
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent thumbnails. The 3 on the right of the bottom row feel the closest to the Blizzard WoW and D3 style.

My vote goes for #9 also.
  • LordAngelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes cool loking th, i like the last row especialy
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Pretty good plan of attack, man. Stick to it, please! Don't be a fizzler!

I really like the middle-top-row-lampshade-head thumb, but it doesn't really convey "beastmaster". I am gonna go with the consensus here and pick the bottom right two jungly ones.

DON'T FIZZLE ON US, YA HEAR!?
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Here's the direction I'm going with one of the thumbnails:

beastmaster2.jpg

I think I overdid it on the hangy stuff, and I want to change that.

Do you guys like the fuzzy chest with midrif? Or should I put a tunic leather wrap thing on? Kinda debating that.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i lie it if anything leaving the mid drift open like that it makes it feel like a old mayan warrior or something. If anything maybe do one strap that goes from left to right or something so it's just kinda covered. Maybe a small bone breastplate.

I kinda like the hanging stuff. Maybe take away the 2 really big ones and put them on the neckalace. Or use them for like claws on her bracers to mix up that 2 bone patteren you have going.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what Reich said and make the horns assymetric.
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should I use Asymmetry for WoW? No player characters have asymmetry. I had a design with just one horn before and I liked it.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    I wouldn't worry about sticking 100% to WoW player character specifications. I mean polycount and texture memory limitations are fine, but stuff like asymmetry doesn't matter. Do what you want.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    ha. i thought these were meant for DIII.

i liked the thumbnail much better. it had better proportions, a more feral pose, and the silhouette was much more interesting and easily recognizable. the revision has turned into a furry hump that will be lost at a distance.

also, i thought the thumb had two big angular hooks for weapons, and i thought that was badass.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A touch too Manga if you ask me... Her female form is being dominated by big boots, gloves and hair. I like the ideas but their proportions are a bit out of wack.
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I do think she has too much going on, and that the silhouette is getting lost in all that stuff. Also she had axes in the thumbnail. but I need to design her weapons still, so i put placeholders.

as for the manga stuff, i was being influenced by princess mononoke. The way I drew the eyes is what is causing it. I'll put some more structure into the face, since I think she is looking a bit too cutesy.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i was going to say she looked very influenced by Princess Mononoke but it was late and i was too lazy to google and find out the spelling of it lol.

But yes what your thumb had that has been lost is that nice feral pose. In the thumb she looked kinda crazy like she was hungering to kill something.

Also in the thumb to me it feels like leather garb on the torso and i think that would help keep her less "poofy" looking. But to me it would make since to keep the fur on the wrists and legs for warmth again just like Indians do.

One last thing is that if you are going for a Blizzard feel you need to start thinking of the shoulders. the thing that blizzard is known for is over exaggerated shoulder armor. So maybe cutting back on the fur hat to bring Fur onto the shoulders or something like that.

and now i will go off a bit here. (yes the following picture is me, i used to be a fancy dancer, and yes it was all hand crafted by me as well).

Now this is more of a modern Indian reguelia. but it was still mimicking some of the other things they wore as a norm it was just made more flashy for the style of dance. . the small shields on the arm, the angora on the ankles, ect. So hopefully this shot might help you get some ideas.
    n1039511430_4173_3883.jpg

i have others if you want more refrance but again not sure if its gunna help you in the direction you want.
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    I really dig your concepts, maybe you should develop it for Diabloiii and WoW.
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am making up a new character class with this concept. I'm developing this with the intention of it being an in game asset for WoW, with a story behind it. Sorry no updates yesterday! Yarg! I'm not fizzling!
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh was thinking about the shoulder thing and found something that might be helpful in your designing

64527.jpg
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha wow, those must be from the Beta.
    Here's a new direction I am going in but maybe I will change to something is a bit more solid what do you guys think:
    beastmaster3.jpg
  • Mr GetDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr GetDown polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely make the horns asymmetrical.

Love the model sheet.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    hips are too wide even for a WoW character-- otherwise you concepts are tight. nice presentation
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! Are these hips less disturbing?

beastmaster4.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, that is better. I think the tamberine thing in the characters hand is not over-the-top enough to compete with the rest of the character, but you really are getting this thing dialed in
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beastmaster5.jpg
    i messed up the silhouette on the legs. she looks goofy and evil in this one. Im gonna go with cloth leggings, instead the fuzzy stuff i think.
  • Mr GetDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give the hay more interesting shapes at they ends. 3 pictures back they where better uneven.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    perhaps try drawing just the chick underneath, sans armor to nail down the pose. right now it's very stiff and awkward looking and disproportional.

yeah, cloth leggings might be the way to go.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    As I am a FFXI Beastmaster 75 (/charm <t>), I am a strong force of knowledge when it comes to ledgendary Beastmastering. I realize that you are heading for WOW, and you are right to re-work their Beastmasters, cause they are weak, and I look down upon them as if children.

I am very interested in this project.

If you are out running across the many plains these fantastic worlds have to offer, you dont want tons of stuff hanging all over your extremities, catching on rocks and giving some group of mobs something to grab on to. no. But you do need lots of gear.

Gear should appear on the back / shoulders. You need to set up camp for days at a time. Since you are charming and killing so many beasts, so. many. beasts..... You need more than just weapons. You cant let all those skins and meats go to waste? You build your camp and collect them all. You need to process and smoke meats in order to preserve them. Then at the end transfer this stuff to a near crossroads for sale. So Skinning gear and habitat forming tools are essential. But not immediately necessary.. they can be held deep in middle of upper back. Then weapons and charming gear close to hand or in hand. Pelvis, Shins and forarms should be armored and tightly binded hands and feet. This will give you defence against close contact mis-charms and the like.....

I really liked the femur armor you had going below. I would be happy to wear this.... You seem to have moved backward since then. The armor you have now is for those cheesy "showman" Beastmasters. They set up camp, in town! of all places, doing sily dances and the like. no no no. nevermind them. Showoffs. They spend their time charming woman, of all beasts... not the wild mob.

ill be watching your progress HA-ga-gaaah!

f96ca6b07faf2e616476bdc46fdeee692g.jpg
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! I'm back! Lots of stuff has been happening. Working on tons of side projects but still doing this thing.

mythtamer.jpg

crits please! FONT IS TEMPORARY!

Also beginning to model.
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang the hair was better uneven. yarg no time to change.
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photobucket is crapping out on me.
    uploaded to my website.

mythtamer.jpg
    tengucolor.jpg
    body1.jpg
    body2.jpg
    body3.jpg
    body4.jpg
    hand.jpg
    hand2.jpg
    head2.jpg
    head.jpg
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any tips on UV mapping a female body?
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Do what you would do to a male body ;)
  • Mr GetDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, great advice.
    Like anything complex, just break it up into smaller jobs, in the case shapes.
    I'm not at all keen on the model. Look nothing like your drawings. If your going for stylistic create a model sheet and follow it.
    eg. of a great stylised character sheet: http://www.comicraft.com/print/dangergirl_sketch/spread2_lg.jpg
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's base model for a female that I'm going to work off of.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    REALLY nice concept and presentation- gotta get a handle on those edgeloops though, at least in the joints- I know WOW has low poly counts so you probably wont be able to get away with 100% quads, but go for quads wherever that sucker bends in extreme angles. Also, pose it more naturally. the T pose has kind of been outvoted. Think of what pose its going to be in most of the time, and model its default closer to that.
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the advice construct! Can you show me a sample of what you mean by using quads at extreme angles?

Also i modeled it in the T because that's how i was taught to prepare models for bones and skinning.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    semi-t works too and keeps the shoulders in a more neutral position.

Really like your concept stuff (especially your early thumbs) and glad to see you're taking it into 3d too (low poly?). No crits atm, keep on working it :P
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man great concept! looks leet! As for the model its lookin ok, tpose stuff, dont worry about it, since in wow your shoulders are gonna be covered with massive haunks of armor. also you could bring your pcount in the lower leg down a bit. what he means by keeping quads in the extreme areas is try and keep one solid ring of quads above and below the joint to avoid strange deformations at knees, elbows, shoulders and hips, this is a guideline tho. cant wait to see it finished,

o**** watch the geo on the front of your hip, the geometry there is gonna caus u some pain if you have to animate it!!!!

-woog
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I understand. can someone show me a better way to model that hip connection?
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beginning to texture!

myth_progress.jpg
  • CookieKingHoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CookieKingHoi polycounter lvl 10
    showing a texture flat would allow for some CC

Also, don't just select an area and fill it, you should expand the selection by about 2 pixels to allow for bleed (that will fix the white areas in the texture)
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the selection tips Cookie King. That was just a rough color. As is this. I have things on separate layers and am doing roughs before going into detail. Sorry I haven't been updating too much everyone.

Man I'm pretty slow at this, but I'll get faster with practice! Appreciate everyone's input.

mythprog1.jpg

mythprog2.jpg

mythprog3.jpg

critiques!

also how fast does one do a model like this professionally? what is expected?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Proxzee wrote: »
    also how fast does one do a model like this professionally? what is expected?

1-3 days. some people work very fast and can knock this shit out and still make it look awesome under a day's work. i think that comes with time, having a good workflow. i'm slower, and have been known to take experimentive approaches that can sometimes help or hinder my progress. i would probably take about 3 days currently.

day 1 - model
    day 2 - unwrap
    day 3 - texture / import

i wish u luck on ur conquest! i'll definately be watching ur progress and when i have more time, hopefully help u out more. keep up the good work.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    day 1 - model
    day 2 - unwrap
    day 3 - texture / import

A model like this shouldn't take more than three hours to unwrap. Thanks to max's "relax" tool and other unwrapping programs, uv unwrapping characters has become a lot easier than it used to be. It just comes down to practice, really; once you've unwrapped enough arms and bodies, you dont really have to think about it, unless the character has a particularly unique piece of geometry. I'd revise the list like this:

day 1 - model
    day 2 - unwrap / texture
    day 3 - texture / import

Really been enjoying watching this progress, keep on rockin it :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Ferg's right. i was thinking about the same thing actually, after i read what i wrote.
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa 3 Days huh? I guess I need to build up some speed. Speed is what I need.