Home General Discussion

iTunes 8 - is nice!

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    It might be, but the 2-3 other apps they like to bundle with it aren't... If it means being pestered to update the apple updater because they're at war with Mozilla I'll still pass.

Also doesn't look that different from the previous versions? Why so special?
  • Pedro Amorim
    has a new cover system. kinda like windows media player. and new thing called Genius mode.

Genius Playlists
    How Genius Works
    Meet Genius: a brilliant way to create perfect playlists. Play a song, click the Genius button, and iTunes creates a playlist of other songs from your library that go great together. Genius playlists help you discover songs in your library you never knew you had — and rediscover forgotten favorites.

Genius Sidebar
    While you reacquaint yourself with the music you already own, let Genius introduce you to new music you’ll love. As you select songs in your library, the Genius sidebar displays songs from the iTunes Store that go great with it. The Genius sidebar won’t recommend songs already in your library, and you can preview and buy recommended songs directly from the sidebar.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Playlist Generator
    Recommended purchases
    Cover Art Grid
    HDTV Shows
    Enhanced Accessability
    New Visualizer

So uh. . . nothing I ACTUALLY care about eh? Sounds great!
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Waz
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Do I still get a error message every time I open it using Win XP 64? Or 64 bit support Vista only still?
  • diminished_Self
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    lame. screw apple (software). mediamonkey or foobar for at computer listening pleasure, sharepod for all things ipod related.
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Why do I get the feeling that Apple is passive aggressively looking down on us with Genius?

Genius: Plebeians! Too incompetent to make your own playlist? Let Genius do it for you! Having a hard time conforming to the Apple brand? Still can't decide how to give us more of your money? Let Genius decide for you!

Sheeple: Gee thanks Genius! I don't know how I undertook the rigors of decision making before you arrived!
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Is it faster on the PC now? The version I currently have is a nightmare.
    Illusions : If that Genius thing is somehow like Pandora, it could be great! (if it works on specific musical qualities rather that genres or sub-genres of music obviously)
  • Pedro Amorim
    perna wrote: »
    that was lame, bitmap

that's how i roll biatch
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I have no need for playlists... I just put my entire ipod on shuffle and let 'er rip. It's done me well for driving music so far.

What would come in *really* handy is the option to queue up songs to play after the one currently playing is done, instead of just ending it and playing the new one. That's more of an Ipod gripe, though.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    iTunes still doesnt want to pick up the album covers for any of my damn music... which makes navigating the albums a pain.
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    i think itunes suck....but i still use it. cause i can't find anything that's better at sorting and storing all of my music.

i hated media monkey. that lasted for about 2 days on my computer before i couldnt' stand it anymore.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    From Apple i use only Safari now... i-tunes looks like more than an e-store than a good music player. I have seen this version only supports the common music formats... where's the support of flac? tta? ape? sighs

I use windows media, but i gonna try this version. The previous was a shit.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    do they still bundle software on the PC?

I use iTunes almost everyday because it's the only way to tether my phone
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    uninstalled... it's slow as Hell
    The new cover feature is worse than i think, hiper-slow navigation. Windows media is better 4 me.

bye bye apple.
  • Delaney King
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    The latest version actually listens to the music for you incase you haven't got time.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    What's the deal with your PC's? Hah. Mine is two years old, and itunes is smokin' fast.
    I use the same windowed setup for browsing my music, so I skip that fancy GUI crap. I'm sure that helps with the speed of things.

The genious playlists are quite nice. A good playlist takes time to make, but this does a decent job at starting them out.
  • Michael Knubben
    People talking about which is better: windows media player or iTunes? Seriously, those are the options?
    Excellent.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using winamp forever but it's been getting progressively more bloated as time goes on. All the Foobar screenshots make it look like Itunes, can I customize it to be a compact player like winamp?
  • Pseudo
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    flaagan wrote: »
    What would come in *really* handy is the option to queue up songs to play after the one currently playing is done, instead of just ending it and playing the new one. That's more of an Ipod gripe, though.

iTunes has that functionality in the Party Playlist. I'm not sure, maybe the iPod works differently?
  • Pedro Amorim
    per: mogwai? nice! :)
    you can be ma friend again
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    My computer is also two years old (dual xeon, dual core 3ghz), and I-tunes is uber-slow. My entire and huge collection of music with its covers don't appear. I need an i-tunes account to download covers... and give my details of credit card ¬¬ fantastic!

two years old seems to be too much... should i buy a newer computer? LOL

With Mediamonkey i have all the covers and is enough fast to organize a library but i prefer Windows media to play the music.

How many albums you got? 10? :S

Each one have their preferences, nobody is saying which is the best exactly. There aren't too many options for music management. Any option more?
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, I still use winamp to play my music (and Media Player Classic for movies). I only use iTunes cause I was too lazy to mess with any of the other options for getting music to my iPod.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I use MediaMonkey for management on my audioserver and winamp to play them on everything else.
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    well, seems you want to avoid version 8 if you're using vista. Seems it's causing bsod's

http://gizmodo.com/5047721/itunes-8-causing-huge-problems-bsod-for-vista-users
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    damn you need to register stuff to get that autoplaylist thingie working :(. i tried to register, but apparently only people with credit cards are real people, and they are therefor the only ones allowed to use the new feature. lame.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Keg wrote: »
    well, seems you want to avoid version 8 if you're using vista. Seems it's causing bsod's

http://gizmodo.com/5047721/itunes-8-causing-huge-problems-bsod-for-vista-users

yeah-- not it isnt. jeez.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, iTunes can play FLAC and OGG and others.. you just have to search the web for it (at least they are available for Mac). And don't complain, you probably spend more time seeking out and setting up other things for you PC. :p

I don't use the gridded cover layout.. I use the list with cover flow.

The new Genius thing is bleh.. tried with a couple of songs and it's okay. There are better songs to match than the ones it chose. You aren't missing much. The login isn't an issue for Mac users, since are already registered.

As always with iTunes: YOU have to take control of it BEFORE adding any music. Make sure you have the 'copy to iTunes folder when importing' turned off and stuff. (Unless you like that feature.) But whatever, if you are on a Windows machine you probably already have things the way you like.

I love my Mac and use only iTunes for it.. but using iTunes on my PC had a different feel to it and I didn't care for it.