Home General Discussion

Google Chrome - Google's Browser

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    wow, using strokit thing is HOT :D i deleted all the default stuff though, wouldn't wat to accidently shut down the pc or anything ;). made my custum stuff for google chrome.
    too bad you need to know all the shortcuts for the strokit thingie though.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I really like it so far, clean and very fast. It does mess up the reply form at CGtalk and it's incredibly unstable with the daily show player...
  • grasshoppa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RANT:

I'm a huge fan of Firefox. Seeing Google come into the browser arena like a silent bull just makes me angry. Variety is great, and Google has been shaking up the market for years with Beta releases but COME ON. A browser?? So what Google! What is this going to do to developers of Firefox extensions? Will Chrome try to become a new portal for the silly online apps??

There are so many browsers today, why another one!!!!?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    grasshoppa wrote: »
    RANT:

I'm a huge fan of Firefox. Seeing Google come into the browser arena like a silent bull just makes me angry. Variety is great, and Google has been shaking up the market for years with Beta releases but COME ON. A browser?? So what Google! What is this going to do to developers of Firefox extensions? Will Chrome try to become a new portal for the silly online apps??

Read their comic.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    grasshoppa wrote: »
    RANT:

you miss VHS, don't you?
  • grasshoppa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    you miss VHS, don't you?

Yes I do - and Star Wars cereal.
  • grasshoppa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Read their comic.

Wow, I checked it out. Very informative! I like what I see so far.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    hmm, i've been using chrome a bit more but I've been noticing that it causes my HD to read almost constantly. Like it's doing some kind of background proccess, not nice
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    AlexK, maybe check services.msc and see if you have google updater running.
    Every time a Google app is installed the bitch comes back without warning (all you'll see it in the list of background apps even if you ininstalled it previously - makes me think it comes in two flavors, one that can be uninstalled and one that can't)

If it's there you can disable it for good.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I went into msconfig and found it in the startup tab. unchecked it.

Havn't rebooted so I can't for certain this will work, but it should stop the process. And chrome seems to run fine without that process running.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    i read some stuff about a security leak. and it didn't hold up very well with more than 5 tabs (i have an old pc with 512 MB ram ;)) so i switched back to firefox :D
  • Nevinvex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Opera is the best, too bad FF did more advertising.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevinvex: Hey! Welcome to Polycount, new member. I don't know what we'd do without your expert opinions. I suspect we would be truly lost.
    Imagine all those poor fools who use both, or actually prefer another browser! It beggars belief, to be frank, as I'm sure you will agree.
    How very nice of you to give it to us straight. I see a bright future for you here.

Or, you know, each to his own? There's the whole 'not going into a thread about a new product to push your petty browser-war'-train of thought, but only a minority really supports that one.