Home General Discussion

Xbox 360 Price Cuts

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sonic polycounter lvl 18
Just to let you guys know and spark some discussion, the 360 is dropping prices as of September 5th.

Xbox 360 Arcade $199
Xbox 360 $299
Xbox 360 Elite $399

$199... that's far cheaper than the Wii and only slightly higher than a new PS2. Crazy.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/09/03/xbox-360-price-cut-now-us-199.aspx

Replies

• Marcan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcan polycounter lvl 12
    The plot thickens...

No seriously this is starting to look like a very interesting deal, even though I already own an xbox.

(Although some people will debate that 199$ is still pretty high for a 35% chance of getting the dreaded RROD.)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I haven't heard of too many newer consoles getting the RROD these days. I think they have done a lot to fix that issue.

I'll probably be picking up another console soon since my wife wants her OWN...
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    I've looking for a long time already to buy a Xbox. If they cut the price in EU I'll probable get it quick.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    I haven't heard of too many newer consoles getting the RROD these days. I think they have done a lot to fix that issue.

I'll probably be picking up another console soon since my wife wants her OWN...

I think you'd hear of it less because it's exactly as common as it was before. Mine went up and died on me several months ago, less than a year after I bought it. No point in making a big deal about it now, because it's exactly what I expected. When the console was new, people weren't used to it blowing up now and then.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might be picking up a second one this year for Xmas, so this is good news.

Oh wait almost forgot who started this thread, I meant to type "M$ is teh devil!!11 I want nothing to do with your red rings and the death they bring!"
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    What's the drive storage on those models?
    Is the Arcade model the 20gigs they are/were trying to get rid of or the new 60gig version?
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    (Although some people will debate that 199$ is still pretty high for a 35% chance of getting the dreaded RROD.)

Really they got it down to 35%? I always thought it was like at 80-95% since everyone I know has gotten it at least once.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    the new ones are maybe 10% chance or less of red ring. the older ones were fairly bad.

basically if it has an hdmi port, you shouldn't worry to much about the red ring

Snem: arcade comes with a memory card and no hard drive.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'm on my fourth xbox - not a single one has gotten the RROD. Each one has shit the bed in it's own special way.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Wooo! Price goes down just as mine dies and I can get a new one. *RAWK*
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    snemmy wrote: »
    What's the drive storage on those models?
    Is the Arcade model the 20gigs they are/were trying to get rid of or the new 60gig version?

The Arcade is the one with the Memory card with a paltry 256megs, if you want to only save single player games fine, but if you want to download stuff, that space will get sucked up real quick, you might as well got with the regular 360 bundle, because the 20 gb hard drive is $100 on its own.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just asking since I hadn't seen any hard-drive numbers attached to the prices. I already have an Elite with the 120gig drive. :)

Mine died once early this summer from the video dying.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    The arcade is obviously meant for the more casual gamer who won't be downloading shit. Most people just care about playing games anyway.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Problem is, downloading games is a HUGE part of what the 360 is about. Some of its best exclusives are download only. And some non-exclusives, too. To bring up some recent examples, there's Castle Crashers, Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Braid. Other titles absolutely worth buying include Geometry Wars, Castlevania: SotN, and in my special opinion, Space Giraffe. I'd recommend Switchball, too, because it's made by some guys who started it when they were going to the same school I started studying 3D at.

Limiting yourself to an Arcade box is, in my opinion, one of the silliest things you can do. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly.

[edit] I FORGET! There's a ton of DLC for popular games, too, that'll drain your HDD space quicker than... something else. Halo 3 has one free map pack for download and one you can buy and a rumored third pack coming, Burnout Paradise will get its WICKED 70 new challenges plus a set of completely new vehicles plus day-night cycles with weather effects - all for download, for free. Can't enjoy any of that without a HDD.[/edit]
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I think that downloading games is important too, but if I asked a single one of my college friends that plays Gears, Halo, or COD4 all day, not a single one will have the slightest clue as to what Bionic Command, Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars, etc are. Neither will my younger cousins or nearly anyone their age. Most people are still stuck in last generation's content availability.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    360 hard-drive price cut too: http://kotaku.com/5045721/xbox-360-hard-drive-gets-a-price-cut-too

Still a bit overpriced for the amount of memory (compared to computer drive prices).
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ebagg wrote: »
    The Arcade is the one with the Memory card with a paltry 256megs

the price is good but this is what puts me off getting one.

On the other hand I heard that most xbox 360 games are dumbed down in thier memory handling so that they can run well on the arcade version even without hard drives and the extra virtual memory they give. Is this true?

oh and $149 for a harddrive, why do they even bother offering it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg wrote: »
    The Arcade is the one with the Memory card with a paltry 256megs, if you want to only save single player games fine, but if you want to download stuff, that space will get sucked up real quick.

Why do they call it Xbox Arcade of it is little use with Xbox Live Arcade? Who's steering this ship?
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Why do they call it Xbox Arcade of it is little use with Xbox Live Arcade? Who's steering this ship?

birds-eye.jpg

Captain Birdseye!!!
    :poly009::D!!:D!!:D!!:D!!
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX wrote: »

No cause you have to pop coins into ms pocket to make it useful.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It's an interesting move. Microsoft stands to gain considerably from this drop throughout the holiday season.

The obvious quandary is that the Arcade bundle that now costs $200 is without a hard drive. It is good that it comes with a memory stick, so that games can be saved right out of the box. (Something that the PS2 STILL doesn't come with) Anyone who follows the game industry will avoid the Arcade bundle like the plague, understanding that the higher-priced models are a better value. (sort of) But less interested gamers will likely be swayed towards the Arcade bundle. Microsoft will probably be able to snatch a large number of former PS2 owners with this price drop. The PS2 was well known for having crap internet play and a strong selection of single player games. Anyone who was satisfied with what the PS2 offered will likely be satisfied with an XBox 360 arcade bundle.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    You guys still have to pay a regional sales tax on top of that though, don't you? At the current exchange rates the Elite over here works out at about $440, so I think for once the regional prices are pretty much the same.

Yes. I am still bitter about Rock Band.
  • Marcan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcan polycounter lvl 12
    Yes. I am still bitter about Rock Band.

How much did it cost you in total?

By the way, an interesting article on this whole RROD thing:
    http://kotaku.com/5046227/the-history-of-the-defective-xbox-360
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Ged wrote: »
    the price is good but this is what puts me off getting one.

On the other hand I heard that most xbox 360 games are dumbed down in thier memory handling so that they can run well on the arcade version even without hard drives and the extra virtual memory they give. Is this true?

oh and $149 for a harddrive, why do they even bother offering it.

The hard drive does absolutely nothing for any game except store stuff. It gives no virtual memory or performance boosts.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The 360's hard drive hangups are asinine. There's no questioning it. However, I think there are going to be a lot of consumers who will be willing to purchase and play a 360 without a hard drive if the price is as low as $200. The PS2's hard drive and on-line play support were both for crap, but that didn't stop it from selling like gangbusters. Ditto for the Wii.

At a higher price, the Arcade is largely ignored by consumers, largely because anyone willing to pay that much for the system is going to spend the extra money on the better version. At a low enough price, the system will start to attract the kind of consumer who doesn't care about the extra features, and just wants to take it home to play.

Of course, we won't know for certain for another couple months what influence this has. However, this is definitely the right time for Microsoft to make this move. The holiday shopping season is just starting to get in gear, and big game releases are ramping up.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Marcan wrote: »
    How much did it cost you in total?

Not bought it. It's $150 in the US for the game and instruments, and over here its £170, or $300.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    sonic wrote: »
    The hard drive does absolutely nothing for any game except store stuff. It gives no virtual memory or performance boosts.

Doesnt the next update let you install games on the drive?
    Also what about patches? You need them to play online, but im kinda not sure how big they are.