Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Usp .40 s&w [wip]

Hey guys, im new to polycount
and relatively new to 3d modelling.
This is a USP .40 S&W, designed for the half life 2 engine.
Base mesh is now undergoing optimization :D
basemesh1um7.jpg

Replies

• Smirnoffka
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Lots of ngons. Gotta triangulate that shit. Not a big gun nut, I'm sure some other guys can help you will the actual form of the gun.
  • ramstheman
    Thx for the advice smirnoffka, eliminated all the N-gons i could see.
    Also I beefed up the width a bit and added an indentation where the sight sits.
    Shaved off about 300 polys in the process, booya! :Dupdatelw2.jpg
  • Zephir62
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    for being new to modeling, you seem to have it figured out pretty well. Looks nice, start texturing that bitch!
  • Flewda
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Here's some reference of my USP, hopefully it'll be helpful. There's a couple of things off about your model, however for being a new modeler, it's quite well done. Good job! This is a .45 cal, looks to be slightly different from what your model is based on, but a lot of the shapes are the same.

Ugh, after seeing these pics with flash, made me see how much I need to clean this thing again :) Sorry for some of the poor quality shots. Didn't have time this morning to take shots with good settings/lighting :) Just used the Auto Flash.

www.3dpowers.net/USP

*EDIT* Bitmap just pwned my images with this link. This link has better lit, and quality images.

http://www.pixagogo.com/7735284132
  • Dakkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Dakkon polycounter lvl 10
    Is there a set polygon limit for that gun? If it's meant for an FPS game, you'd be surprised how many polygons you'd be allowed for that. Another thing to keep in mind is if it's for an FPS, is this the player's first person view of the gun, or is it the version everyone else sees? If it's the first person view, you can add a pile of polygons to one side, and remove them from the other.

I'd mainly just suggest adding polygons to round things off, unless you're planning on a really nice high res normal map.
  • Talbot
    I like how you made it actually functioning... and I don't know to much about guns but it looks like the you chose the correct parts to separate. Keep up the good work!
  • ramstheman
    Zephir62 : Thanks man, unwrapping for the loss!
    Flewda : nice ref pics, i noticed my sights were out, kudos mate
    Dakkon : Your right, the top looks a bit square, rounded off a bit :D
    Removed backfaces for the time being, since i can mirror them
    later if needed
    Talbot : hehe cheers, i figured that it would be easier to animate if i at least
    keep the parts as seperate elements :D

So heres my first unwrap pass, sorry for the late update, lots of uni work
    and such to catch up on.
    All crits welcome :D

[EDIT] it wont let me display the image, so i'll just post the link to it

http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=unwrap2ndhq2.jpg

[DOUBLE EDIT] My main question is, how much can i scale specific pieces so as to maximise
    texture space?
    For instance, since the clip wont be seen much, could i scale its UVWs down say 25-35%?
    at what point is the pixel distortion too much?

my.php?image=unwrap2ndhq2.jpg
  • AXiao
    ramstheman wrote: »
    Zephir62 : Thanks man, unwrapping for the loss!
    Flewda : nice ref pics, i noticed my sights were out, kudos mate
    Dakkon : Your right, the top looks a bit square, rounded off a bit :D
    Removed backfaces for the time being, since i can mirror them
    later if needed
    Talbot : hehe cheers, i figured that it would be easier to animate if i at least
    keep the parts as seperate elements :D

So heres my first unwrap pass, sorry for the late update, lots of uni work
    and such to catch up on.
    All crits welcome :D

[EDIT] it wont let me display the image, so i'll just post the link to it

http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=unwrap2ndhq2.jpg

[DOUBLE EDIT] My main question is, how much can i scale specific pieces so as to maximise
    texture space?
    For instance, since the clip wont be seen much, could i scale its UVWs down say 25-35%?
    at what point is the pixel distortion too much?

hey buddy, looking good there! the layout's got some unused space, and definitely can use some optimization. i would scale the side of the gun to the biggest you can because that pretty much covers 80% of the gun that you will see, so that deserves a lot more uv spaces than say the sides of the magazine since it's inside your gun. are you gonna turbo smooth this and build an LOD for normal maps? either way it doesnt seem like a good idea to use black for the normal map background though. but this looks pretty neat, cant wait to see it textured.:thumbup: