Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Red Engine

AlexJ
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
AlexJ polycounter lvl 10
Hey Everyone,

A friend told me about these forums and I thought I would post some of my work and get some needed feedback. This is a scifi/steam punk style engine I'm doing for my final school portfolio using the Crysis Engine. It's proving to be the most challenging.

engine2.jpg
engine1.jpg

This model is based off this design on feng zhu's website:
http://www.fengzhudesign.com/vehi/vehi_feng_image28.JPG

I still have a lot to add to these textures, but I wanted to get feedback on the color palette, lighting and other details that were not a part of the original reference. Any critique is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch :D

Replies

• Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I must say...wow. I think it looks awesome. I can see that the textures are not finished in some areas, but overall it looks like its gonna be awesome. What are the specs on it?
  • AlexJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexJ polycounter lvl 10
    Snefer wrote: »
    What are the specs on it?

It's definitely not traditional low poly game art, but I tried to model things as simple and efficiently as possible and use normal maps for surface detail. The main engine is about 12k (triangles) with the huge amounts of gears and pipes taking up another 20k. The room its in is just under 5k.

Between the room, catwalk and engine there is a total of 10 texture maps. 7 just for the engine.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    looks pretty sweet!

i think some of the details are getting mushy by the extreme-white spec on the chips though. You may be working the edges a little much, tbh.

For the rest of it, needs more dripping goo on pipes, lil rust (not a lot mind you, the cleanliness is nice), grease spots, maybe some dents?

Not sure that red underlight is really working either, especially w/ the yellow glow below it.
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    eyecandy ooooh, question, is the engine just floating? whats holding it up? it looks like its suspended by two tiny poles coming from the ceiling. Its a little too symmetrical don't you think?
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap, very cool!
  • Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Yes, very nice job. I cant wait to see it finished.
  • AXiao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good alexj, cant wait to see more!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Though its Red for the base color you can always add some different saturations on red or purplish metallic colors on there...

I agree that the function is a little iffy though (i.e: The supports holding the engine suspended.)

Worth the attention though...great work.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Those gears on the ends of the arms seem a little out of place in the context of the design; little too old-school. Texturing still needs alot of work, but you've already mentioned you will be adding alot to them.

The cables are also too symmetrical, try to randomize the way the cables hang down underneath the structure.

Cool stuff overall, I love this kind of complex industrial/mechanical stuff.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Excellent work.

i love cogs.
  • AlexJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexJ polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks guys for the great feedback.

Here is some updates:

gear1.jpg
    gear2.jpg
    gear3.jpggear3.jpg

I'm working towards making the moving parts look really worn and more beat up with everything else staying relatively clean.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the environment - currently it is just a bunch of normal maps.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome. I can only imagine how much work it would take to make it semi destructible (be able to shoot it in a game and have little pieces blow off.)