Home General Discussion

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed demo

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Asherr polycounter lvl 18
yay! after months of delays the demo is finally out tomorrow (Thursday, Aug 21).

http://www.starwars.com/games/videogames/news20080816.html

it is supposed to be a full level with it's own custom story line for the demo and a tutorial on how to Force Grip properly. :D:D:D

Replies

• moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    lol i love the 3 jedi chicks in that photo... awesome

going to scope this tomorrow!!
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    So, Ash, you buying a month of Live gold so you can get the demo instead of waiting a week for silver people to download? :p

I am very much looking forward to this. If The Apprentice is as powerful as he is in Soul Caliber IV, and the levels scale to that power, then WOW, this is going to be one rockin' game. :D

(Only issue I have so far is taking Shaak Ti and all her great robes, sublte beauty, and stripping them away to make her sexy queen of the jungle...)
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    A custom level with its own plot stemming from the game? Sounds sweet!

Are XBL silver members going to have to wait a week? Guess I'll download on PSN then. :P
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »
    Are XBL silver members going to have to wait a week?

That's how it goes.. :\
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    It's out now on Live (for gold members at least).

It is pretty awesome. SOOOOOO much destructable stuff. Some pretty cool combos. Looks like you will be able to customize your lightsaber and Force powers in the final (judging by the greyed out options). Difficulty on Sith Warrior (normal) is pretty good. A little learning curve but it's one of those games where you feel like such a noob starting off but by the end you feel so badass. Gorgeous graphics. They are probably sublime on HD screens. :D

A little bit shorter of a demo than I expected though.

THANK YODA WE HAVE AN AWESOME (so far) STAR WARS GAME! :D
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    i saved my free month of Gold membership that came with GTA4 just for this demo. :D
  • Jonathan
    Played through it this morning. It's nice, has some cool stuff, but didn't really set itself apart as I thought it would. I think a more aggressive/interesting camera setup would do it well.
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    It's about time star wars had an awesome title that wasn't restricted to the KotoR franchise :P
    Graphics are gorgeous, they've really bumped them up a notch since those earlier trailers.

#1 on my To-Buy list, thus far.

EDIT: A note of interest, I downloaded the demo with xboxlive silver ;)
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Damn you all.

Just saw my coworker playing it. I have to wait til I get home since the 360 I had at work is out for repairs.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I just plain fucking love it :)
  • Armanguy
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    its ok nothing too awesome its a good game to rent on a rainy day :)
  • Dakkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Dakkon polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, it's not too shabby. It's a LITTLE too arcadey for me, but it's better than what I was expecting. I like my Star Wars games like I like my women.. hard, cold, and digital.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Will purchase, had a lot of fun with the demo. It's nothing ground breaking, but who cares - its fun!
  • Zephir62
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    For anyone who's played both series, is it anything like Jedi Knight 2 & 3?
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Zephir62 wrote: »
    For anyone who's played both series, is it anything like Jedi Knight 2 & 3?

I preferred the Jedi Knight games. The action was smoother and felt a bit more visceral.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi Knight games weren't very good. The FPS style did not suit the action or story at all. Lightsabers were friggin awkward to use and the level design for a lot of areas sucked. Jedi Academy was a lot better but still very awkward, not suited very well for lightsaber battles.

This is the best SW game since KotOR and flat out best looking SW game ever.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I thought the Jedi Knight games were a lot of fun and that the fighting style fit well with the Star Wars universe.

*shrug*
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    took me a second to figure out how to take out the atst, it was fun I'll have to run through the demo a few more times though I think my first run through I was still a partial button masher.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i like to throw my saber at a crate, move it in to a bunch of enemies and watch them get diced
  • Dakkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Dakkon polycounter lvl 10
    Loved the Jedi Knight games. That series is one of the few FPS games I really enjoyed myself with the SP campaign.
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    no. there is no PC version. it's on the xbox360, ps3, wii, ps2, psp, and nintendo DS.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Squashing people with a Tie Fighter is as about as much fun as it sounds*

*a lot
  • Luxury
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    It never dawned on me until after I played the demo, but all Star Wars games are MEANT to be played on a PC. That's just it's legacy. I don't really enjoy playing PC games but it just felt flat out wrong when I was playing this demo on a console.
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Odd, I was under the impression there would be a PC release. Pffft.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr wrote: »
    no. there is no PC version. it's on the xbox360, ps3, wii, ps2, psp, and nintendo DS.

... and iPhone
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yah, played the demo last night. Good fun. Hopefully the full game is very long, cause it just didn't feel like there was enough action in that demo to keep me satisfied til the release. The only thing that really bugged me at all about the game is that moving objects with force powers felt a bit slow at times. Otherwise, awesome.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    at the end of the section with the TIE fighter fly-by attacks, just before you jump over the gap to where the Stormtroopers and Rebels are fighting, you can pile up some crates and double jump to the top of the alcove and find a Clone Trooper helmet. will probably be a secret area in the full game.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr wrote: »
    at the end of the section with the TIE fighters do fly-by attacks, just before you jump over the gap to where the Stormtroopers and Rebels are fighting, you can pile up some crates and double jump to the top of the alcove and find a Clone Trooper helmet. will probably be a secret area in the full game.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/22/republic-commando-s-head-cameos-in-force-unleashed-demo/
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
  • SubPablo
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    The demo makes it feel like it could use another six months in the oven, but maybe the full game will feel a little more polished? Also what gives, jedi don't get sucked into space like everything else? I guess that would be a little too "leashed".
  • indian_boy
    i liked the demo
    it was a bit too short, but i liked blowing things up and whatnot.
    was hoping the sounds would be more 'epic'. a charged force push in this game did less to my subwoofer than the 'jumps' in mass effect wtf! i wanted my room to SHAKE.

other than that, there was eupohria and dmm? the blast doors were nice. but they really only reacted in two or 4 ways, depending on:
    - which door u faced
    - whether u were standing or in the air

or so it felt.
    and the glass shattering, couldnt be seen well enough to judge for me.

as for euphoria. i had a stormtrooper hovering right next to a tie fighter inside the hangar. he didn't try grabbing at it. i was llike 'hey wtf?'

this felt like a tech demo to me, but with a lot of the tech not being testable that is.

any body get any cooler results with euphoria and dmm? i wanna see all that stuff in action lol.
    and im a bit peeved that i didnt get to test out a lightsabre battle. maybe if they'd put in a fake, non-storyline, battle, i would've liked it more. the way the SW games handle sabre duels have always bothered me. the animations, the button mashing, the minimalistic strategic thinking.

i'll still be buying this game. i love the star wars universe, so i tend to love these games for the story line / story telling etc.

btw: anybody notice how 'typical' the apprentice looks? like any actor could fill his boots? he doesn't have any major feature that makes him _different_...
    George Lucas got plans you think?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    it was pretty cool but felt a little arcadey not that that is a bad thing and selecting the objects to force push felt a little wonky like it was going a little crazy and took a second to grab and hold what I wanted too, and hopefully it would be thrown where I wanted it most the times not though.
  • Rox
    Luxury wrote: »
    It never dawned on me until after I played the demo, but all Star Wars games are MEANT to be played on a PC. That's just it's legacy. I don't really enjoy playing PC games but it just felt flat out wrong when I was playing this demo on a console.

Legacy? Come on. Sure, the Jedi Knight series was on the PC, and that pretty much set the standard for light saber waggling. Still, there have been plenty of awesome Star Wars games on consoles. I fondly recall The Empire Strikes Back on the SNES. Hard as hell, but cool game. There's also things like the GC exclusive Rogue Squadron sequels. Great games. And of course, Republic Commando and the Battlefront games that were developed for PC and consoles simultaneously, and were pretty much equally great on both. Star Wars games have always covered pretty much all platforms, and worked on every one.

Wish I could try TFU, but my 360 is, predictably enough, broken...
  • Mark Dygert
    No, pc version? So disappointed... but I'll have to try the demo out on the 360 and see how it goes.
    snemmy wrote: »
    Jedi Knight games weren't very good. The FPS style did not suit the action or story at all.
    I thought they where 3rd person? Maybe that was just academy...
  • Rox
    The Jedi Knight games were playable in both first and third person. Player's choice. Default setting was to have it switch to third person during swordfights, otherwise stay in first. Also, I completely disagree, I thought the JK series was absolutely awesome.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    indian_boy: This is most likely the lowest power level in the game. I'm sure once getting everything ramped up you'll be thumping some good bass. :)

Yeah, I've had better results with the Euphoria stuff. They don't always grab onto objects or other people though, if they did that would be rather boring like not grabbing at all.

And I think the 'generic' look is intentional. Just like Luke was an 'everyman' in Episode IV. You are supposed to easily identify with him. I thought it was a great idea in one of the video docs where they said that this is what it would have been like had Luke joined Vader.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    btw: anybody notice how 'typical' the apprentice looks? like any actor could fill his boots? he doesn't have any major feature that makes him _different_...

i think you'll have to blame Sam Witwer's parents for that.

Sam_Witwer.jpg
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    That's kinda cool he's been in star trek, star wars now and battlestar galactica.
  • indian_boy
    oh god lol.... thats frightening

when's the movie due out mr lucas, sir?