Home Technical Talk

Out of memory during baking error (3d max)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
I keep getting this memory error while trying to bake from high poly to lowpoly, even after a full cpu restart with no other programs running. I have 2 gigs of ram, intel duo core 2.66ghz cpu. My high poly is about 3.7 million tri's, could that be the problem? In my baking settings I have active Light Tracer and Enabled Global Supersample with Hammersly and quality at 0.5 I'm not sure how to troubleshoot, this is a screencap of my error :(

nomemoryzq7.gif

Replies

• artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    3.7 MILLION TRIS??? Inside of MAX??? That's insane!

Try XNormal for the bake or there are a few work arounds in Zbrush for such a thing (I'm assuming you got your HP from a sculpting program).
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    yes 3.7 million and it doesn't even look good because I'm such a noob. Heres a slightly offtopic question. When I sculpt stuff in Mudbox, how much should I subdivide stuff? like say a prop? When I was trying to sculpt my prop, it looked nasty at the lower levels so I kept subdiving, but maybe its just I'm not experienced enough using the brushes properly...?
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    you might try importing your high res in without texture coordinates. I have had some success bringing really high res models for baking into max and have no probs. Gone as high as 18 million tris in max 64 bit with no prob. With texture coordinates on the high res it didnt like the same model plus the file size was a lot bigger

If Mudbox is like Zbrush you should have evenly spaced quads for your base mesh. It will help so that you dont have to divide so high to get smooth results.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    25 mil? what I can barely get 300k to import/run properly on similar specs, no idea how it would handle 10 mil let a lone 25 (though I saw some of those epic renders, no idea how they got that in max running well)... maybe something is wrong with my software...hehe
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    just an update, I've kinda found a solution to my problem.. I think I had one of my raytracing settings wayyyy to high :) I'm baking fine now, thanks for the replies
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) you probably subdivided way too much, bust it down a level or two and see how it looks, if there isn't that much of a detail hit, try using that.
    2) You can break it into seperate pieces and export each piece and bake them separately.
    3) Be wise with your sub divisions and pieces and you'll avoid these types of problems in the future.