Home General Discussion

Fable 2 Pub Games

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
Anyone else picked it up on XBLA? I played it for an hour or two last night and generally am enjoying it. The "tournament" mode is a lot more fun for Fortune's Tower, while Spinnerbox (both in tourney and normal mode) feels like a "button mash and hope for the best". Keystone's kind of interesting to me, but I've yet to really figure out any kind of strategy to it.

I was already planning on picking up Fable 2, and getting this to also add money to my in-game character (as well as unlock items) is a pleasant bonus to an already amusing XBLA game.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yup, played for about 2 hours last night and I'm already +$600 or so. Pretty neat. The tower game is the only one I love as the Spinner one is lame and the Keystone/Bloodstone one is confusing as all fuck, just like Craps.

I do love how it feels like I'm in a pub playing on a table. The music, the ambient noise, the clapping from the crowd, etc. etc. are a nice touch. It makes me want the game now even more than I did 2 days ago :(

BTW.. if any of you let me in to your games I'm going to rape your dog and falcon punch your wives.
    Just sayin'.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Actually I think Keystone becomes a lot easier when you approach it more like roulette rather than a dice game. I played the trial yesterday, still waiting on my preorder code from circuit city to download it.

Fortune's Tower is an easy game to make some loot if you have patience to grind it out and not take big chances. Spinnerbox really is just a glorified slot machine, there is no strat that I can see so far.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Tried the demo, I like the card game the most... but what I found out? I will never make any fable money for my character with this and I should never, ever, visit vegas to gamble :)
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, played the demo yesterday.
    Really enjoyed Fortune's Tower. Feels good pulling out and then watching as the next row burns. XD

Hated Spinnerbox, complete chance crap.

Keystone seems interesting, but it's something where I find it hard to keep track of just how much I'm betting/winning.

I'm gonna wait to buy it though. I feel like my character is going to start the RPG game and be instantly clubbed over the head to collect his debts. X[
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snem.. hahaha, that'd be amusing, no sooner get the game then start off with a debt.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah.. feels like that's what is going to happen to me. I get about 56 postive and then I hit a horrid streak in the Tower where every hand fails on the third row, second row totalling 3-6. I mean, good GOD, I can't count how many times my Gate card has been the same as the misfortune.

*this is why the snemmy doesn't gamble*
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah been getting the same thing Snemmy, I just can't win for good in it, I go up a couple times, I go down a few more.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snemmy, play the tournament version of Fortune's Tower, it's a lot more fun when you play against competition, and you can usually learn a good few tricks off of them.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, the real secret, play the Spinner tourneys... small investment, big reward, just for button mashing.

And as far as normal FT, just cash out every time you get a 100+ over what you started with. Good way to hold onto your winnings.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Alright so theres a huge exploit in the game right now.

Basically, in Fortune's Tower do a regular non-tournament game and make sure its on a table that you can raise your bet (re: level 1 tables won't do it). So, for instance, play on the 15-60 table.

Once you're in, make sure you ALWAYS bet the minimum (15) gold bet. As you hit "Deal" the tower card will come down and be placed, hit the LB (Left Bumper) button a couple times and you should see your bet has raised to the maximum bet.

The game will then be played as if you've placed the maximum bet, but really you've spent the minimum. If you lose, you'll lose the minimum bet but if you will it will pay out as if you bet the maximum.

Pretty big exploit, but what can you do?

Happy farming.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    damn, and all this carries over to the final game? I have an urge to do this but at the same time I wanna start legit :)
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice one adam, lets give that a shot,

i find the tower game the most fun*
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Hey everyone, I preordered this as well. It's definitely a lot of fun and I too am enjoying Fortune's Tower the most. Keystone is definitely like craps, I've made pretty good money on the inside bets.
    bounchfx wrote: »
    damn, and all this carries over to the final game? I have an urge to do this but at the same time I wanna start legit :)

You actually start a character in the pub games that you earn money with. You have the option to merge that character with other pub characters or with your hero character from the final game. It's all completely optional so you won't be shooting yourself in the foot should you go into massive debt. You can also reset any of your pub characters at anytime, kind of removing any real sense of worry when it comes to debt.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok nvm, this game is fakn frustrating,
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey nacire, any tips for Keystone? It's the only game of the three I haven't done well in.

I can honestly say I've been using the exploit on fortune's tower, but once I've got everything unlocked (which is why I need some help with keystone) I'm starting a fresh character to earn an honest buck with. The exploit has actually allowed me to experiment with FT quite a bit, so I've gotten rather good at it regardless. With the spinners game, I just hold off til I've got a mound of cash, and spend away at one game for a while. I'm enjoying the games in general, and actually looking forward to the prospect of earning some extra cash in Fable 2 with these games.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    F that. I'm going to get $1million gold and buy the pants off of everyone/thing I flippin' can.

You're welcome to come to my world, where you shit in gold plated toilets and eat off of platinum lined plates.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only gold plated? Adam, my boy, you don't know how to live! Why not just make them of solid gold?
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Hey nacire, any tips for Keystone? It's the only game of the three I haven't done well in.

Hey Flaagan sorry for the slow response. As far as keystone goes, start by placing bets on both the 10 and 11 keystones as they often get hit. The inside bets for me is where the more reliable money comes from however. You just need to play probability. For example if the dice have dished out two numbers that are low in value, the probability of the next roll being a higher number is greater, so drop some chips into the 12~18 range or whatever it is. The same holds true for the red/black or oval/diamond fields. If one comes up a couple of times the chances of the other coming on the next roll are increased. Probability is never sure fire, but it's always worked out more for me than it hasn't. As for actually nailing a bet on pairs, runs, or even triples, well that is much tougher to get.

On a last note, say you get low value, black, oval numbers a couple of times. A good set of bets would be on red, diamond higher value numbers which means you can drop chips into three fields and even take a shot a betting on the actual keystone number. I've actually hit some like this with max bets in each field which pays out quite nice when you get it. Hope that helps a bit!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    nacire wrote: »
    For example if the dice have dished out two numbers that are low in value, the probability of the next roll being a higher number is greater, so drop some chips into the 12~18 range or whatever it is. The same holds true for the red/black or oval/diamond fields. If one comes up a couple of times the chances of the other coming on the next roll are increased. Probability is never sure fire, but it's always worked out more for me than it hasn't. As for actually nailing a bet on pairs, runs, or even triples, well that is much tougher to get.

Err... not meaning to be an ass and cut in on you Naicre, but this isn't really true. Every roll of the dice is a separate event, the next roll is not affected by the previous one, so the probability won't change (unless their dice aren't programmed to be properly random). (ie: if you roll a 6 on a dice the next roll will still have a 1/6 probability of being a 6)

Also, I've gotta play it some more, but I've found that generally placing bets on the spots with lower probability of getting hit on your initial arch bets yields the best results.

Here's my reasoning for you to judge for yourself -

If you bet 20 on the 10 and 11, there is a possible winning of 4 if both stones are hit assuming 1:5 odds (what the first table was, I assume that doesn't change later?).

On the other hand if you bet 20 on the 3 and 18 with 17:5 odds you have the possibility of making 24 gold in a turn (only one of these stones can be hit in a turn, you get 34 for hitting that one minus the 10 you bet on the other.)

Given that you'd have to play 8 rounds the first way to make up for 1 round the other.

Add that to the fact that the low stones are easy to hit because you can hit the 18 and 3 without ever rolling on them by removing all the stones that come before them and it seems like a better bet.

Not sure what the exact probability of hitting the 3 or 18 is, and I don't feel like doing all of the math involved, but it seems best to do it this way to me.

Anyways, I hope I made sense there, and sorry again Naicre, didn't mean to cut in on ya. :)

[edit]In a strange mood, decided to do math, may be wrong, but figured I'd post it for you to mull over. Someone correct me if it is wrong. :)

Getting a 12-17 6 times in a row will lead to 18. So all of the probabilities of 12-17 added together divided by 6 added to the probability of getting an 18 should be the overall probability of getting an 18 in keystone.

If my math is right that should be around 0.0663580. Which is pretty good given a payout of 17 compared to a payout of 1 for a probability of .125 for getting a 10 or 11.

Alright... I'm putting way too much thought into this. I'm gonna stop. :P[/edit]
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    Anyways, I hope I made sense there, and sorry again Naicre, didn't mean to cut in on ya. :)

Hey no worries man! :)

I completely understand what your saying. I guess it's not technically probability, but it seems logical to my brain and in general works pretty well for me in keystone and craps! :thumbup:
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    nacire wrote: »
    Hey no worries man! :)

I completely understand what your saying. I guess it's not technically probability, but it seems logical to my brain and in general works pretty well for me in keystone and craps! :thumbup:

It's the law of large numbers, it's a theorem of probability. It follows the average of mean of a set of numbers over a long period of time. Roulette players often refer to it.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, discovered the secret to Keystone. Just put max bets on 3-5, 16-18 on the stones, then every round put max bets on 3, trips, pair, and 18 (can repeat this with the right shoulder button). You hit either 3 or 18, mucho mullah. Just dominated a few tourneys (over 30k won in the 'free' tourney) with this method.

A note, this can be risky, right after posting this I lost all in a fresh tourney. :P

Risky, but worth it. A bit of heavy-handed gaming like this, and managed to beat all five Keystone tourneys in one sitting.
  • snemmy
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only thing left to do is that "Big Win" achievement. I managed to blow the 80k+ I had illicitly gotten (cheated) to unlock all the games... then earned almost 100k legit. Now I just need to "win 100x your bet in Spinners"... anyone managed this yet?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I got the Big Win last night in the free tourney. :)
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://kotaku.com/5043903/fable-2-pub-games-patch-coming-maybe-repercussions-too

Reprecussions? Interesting...
    The comments are funny. It's as though noone has EVER used an exploit in a game before.