Home General Discussion

New setup acceptable?

well, a friend of mine helped me put together this system, please let me know after reading below if you think i should move to an SLI ready mobo

Mobo-Asus P5K-E/wifi (p35 chipset)
CPU-intel core 2 duo 3.16Ghz
RAM- 4 GB OCZ sli ready
HD-500GB seagate SATA2
Video cards - dual Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+

I originally wanted an SLI setup simply to be able to occasionally play COD4 at highest resolution and figured it couldnt hurt if i was going to be running 3dsMax, autoCAD, Catia V5, Maya, etc... mind you I readily admit I am new to this I just wanted a decent platform to work with as my old computer died a while back. I didnt know ahead of time that this mobo wasnt SLI compatible as it uses "cross fire" technology. i guess my buddy was in a hurry as he got deployed 2 days before he helped me put this together on newegg. Do you guys think i will be ok with just one graphics card? that way I could send one back and put that money towards a tablet.... thanks in advance oh mighty gurus of graphics.

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    why no quad core?
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd just get a GTX 260 or GTX 280 and a quad-core instead of that dual-core.

Quad-cores are great for 3d work and for games. I wouldn't worry about SLI. What is he thinking getting you to buy two 9800gtx cards? They're "ancient" now. :p

I would recommend to buy the 4870x2 from ATI which is around the corner, but I cannot recommend it if you do 3d work, as I've never heard too good reviews about ATI cards and 3d programs.
  • tiki240
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ::shrug:: i figured the dual core was sufficient....
  • tiki240
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol... so i should send back BOTH cards AND my CPU and go with the GTX 280 and a quad core but keep the Mobo? and will i need a tablet?
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if you're already bought them, then maybe just keep them.

But, what cards are they? BFG or eVGA? If so, you could "step up" or just return them. If you like it, keep it. It's a little late to be asking if you already have the stuff. 8)

:D
  • tiki240
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    newegg is great about exhanges. I already have RMA #s for anything i decide to ship back and they have agreed to waive the 15% restocking fee.. so what should I do? and i dont know how i like it because i haven't gotten any of my 3d work stuff on this compy yet..
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say just use a GTX 260 or GTX 280. Only game that needs lots of power is Crysis, and it is only fun for so long. I'm using a 8800gt, and it's great, even played through Crysis on Very High at 1280x720. :)
  • tiki240
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is the quad core necessary? im not sure why they are considered better than the dual cores and it seems they typically have slower speeds and cost an arm a leg and a first born
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i would say go for the quad core, i just built a very similar system to you, except a 8800, quad core q6600 and 8 gigs of ram. Think about it really, if you're doing any 3d work, and you want to say, be able to switch back and forth from photoshop/max/mudbox/zbrush/modo etc whatever you do, and maybe for example render some normal maps in xnormal all at the same time... Thats when the 4 cores come in handy =). Multi core proccessors arent about speed per core, but multitasking. And the q6600 is pretty cheap at around $200. Also i think you'll really start to see big enhancements when more games and apps are designed to be multithreaded. Xnormal is and is SMOKING FAST with a quad core setup.

[edit] Just checked, newegg carries the q6600 for $5 more than your CPU. =)
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah quad core is the way to go for any apps that can take advantage of it (stupid photoshop), and I'd definitely look into ATI nowadays... they're really picking up the slack. The 4850 in crossfire has gotten some fantastic reviews, and the 4870 alone rocks the 260/280 solo in higher resolutions and is only at ~280-350$ ranges.

http://xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/sapphire-radeon-hd4850-cf_5.html#sect1
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4850,1957.html
  • tiki240
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow... so much info... so i go with say, a q6600....... with a GTX 280 OR something from ATI??
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure there are still some die hard ATI fans around that will argue otherwise but I personally have had nothing but bad experiences with ATI products. After doing tech support for a few years and building a few ATI systems I found that whatever meager advantages they boast about, never out weighed the draw backs like;
    - Horrible OpenGL support
    - Buggy drivers
    - Fixes for specific games taken out of newer drivers
    - Fixes for specific games that break other games

In general they seemed to care more about getting it to benchmark well and market it with chrome hellhounds and NEXTREAME GRAFIX!!1 instead of providing something that worked consistently. Nvidia on the other hand, hasn't been bought out and ridden into the ground, hasn't had nearly as many issues as ATI in development and in management.

Maybe they've changed, maybe they've found their groove and are finally putting out solid products but its a bit late to woo me. Once bitten bla bla bla...
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Vig, I wouldn't buy Ati again purely because I've been bitten by their crappy drivers too many times.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    The EVGA 750i FTW mobo is a great SLi mobo that works with up to ddr2 1066. Personally I'd go for that. Asus has been releasing boards with mediocre quality control recently, though their p5k series is good. Besides, dealing with ASUS is a pain in the ass. EVGA has slightly better customer service, and has the same warranty.

With the nvidia chipset you're able to go SLi when you want. I'd go with the GTX 260 or 280 like mentioned, but only one for now.

Just my two cents, but in reality, SLi is gimmicky and doesn't REALLY matter unless you want CRAZY resolutions full AA, and be able to play at 120FPS.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 18
    tiki240 wrote: »
    wow... so much info... so i go with say, a q6600....... with a GTX 280 OR something from ATI??

the 6600 is years old, the 9300 and the 9450 are the new 6600 ..
  • tiki240
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha so im still lost.. I think i want quad because i like multitasking, Ive nixed the idea of running SLI for now, Im gonna keep the mobo i have now, and Im gonna return both 9800s and get one 280 GTX.. just need the right processor... so, g6600 or 9300 or 9450??
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use a q6600 at home and q9450 at work. I don't really see that much a difference. So I guess whatever your budget is.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    I got several problems with the P5K-E in the past. The BIOS is a bit buggy and for some reason tends to corrupt the WD Raptors SATA a lot... I need to boot with linux and fix the hard drive constantly >< I don't know if it's the board or what but I recommend you other one, seriously.

Get a quad... the q6600 is very good.

Forget DDR3, is too expensive currently and the latencies are too high usually to compensate the price... 8Gb of DDR2 are very good and affordable.... btw, you're gonna need a 64bits OS to use them plenty.

About the graphics card, the 9800GTX has a good price currently. The 38XX series from ATI have a good price too due to the new 48XX... so perhaps an old 3870 is a good choice for you .... but I always preferred NVIDIA due to the better OpenGL support, PhysX and CUDA.... and, after all, there are no DX10.1 games so...

And just a note.... the Nehalems(Core i7, pardon!) and the new 1366/1166 sockets are comming... the 775 socket is almost dead... and DX11 gonna be presented in December. Perhaps it's a good idea to wait 6 months to update your computer :p
  • tiki240
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, everyone has such broad opinions ... its hard to decide
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a simple idea,

-q6600 or q9450 depending on budget
    -gobs of DDR2 RAM since it's so cheap (4-8gb would be good)
    -if you get an Asus board, just read some reviews first. I have really enjoyed my previous two Asus boards, though they had a few small issues that were fixed via updates or workarounds
    -get a eVGA or BFG Nvidia GPU so you can step-up and BFG has a double-lifetime warranty, which helps resale value, and they're step-up period is 10 days longer than eVGA's (i.e.-100 instead of 90)
    -go for a GTX 260 or GTX 280, again depending on budget. SLI isn't all that it's made up to be (doesn't work in some games, some people notice slight "micro stuttering" due to alternate-frame-rendering, etc.).
    :poly121:
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    wait wait man :D

intel core i7 will appear on market very soon, and prices will down a lot. q6600 is good if you are going to do an overclock to more than 3ghz (not a good computer for rendering and 24/7). The bad side is that you need a good mobo (expensive), better ram, and proper coolers (expensive too). People pay a plus in better mobo and coolers, when they could pay less opting for a better cpu.

If you are not going to do OC, wait to buy the newer quadcores. Intel announced 8600 and some ppl reached 6ghz doing OC. I would buy a quadcore too, but quad core of 3ghz or 2,9.

Another problem is to choose the graphic card. Actual graphic cards are good, but i recommend to wait for the new 280 nvidia that will ship soon. It will be the best choice now. With a 9800 gtx+ you will have enough to play games well, but not with crysis at 24".

Another side is that actual machines increases your electricity bill a lot (mine was doubled). They consume more and more energy for a few fps only.

Some help from 4gamer to decide which one to buy:
    037.gif
    038.gif
    032.gif

Yep, it's very hard to decide :D
    My bro is waiting to see what happens with i7 and then, to buy a new computer.

As graphic card, for 3d, i recommend you to forget ATI.

cheers
  • tiki240
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gaming is nice, but thats what i bought a 360 for lol. This computer is being built to be my workhorse... movies, Art, CAD, inventor, 3DSMAX, maya, etc. im not insanely worried about my FPS in a online game. now, what the F--- is a GPU? Im familiar with a CPU... and i think the quad core 6600 is a good option for me.... im not sure about overclocking as i dont want to spend the money on a liquid cooled setup. I do however have a giant heat sink (asus lion square) for the processor. and i have 4 GB of ram as i sit right now.

also, what is the difference in the "bit" of a system i.e. 64bit

Right now im thinking about keeping my p5k-e/wifi unless theres a valid reason to change my mobo. and i like the idea of the q6600 overclocked to faster speeds but i just hate slow computers is all and i dont want my compy to run like molasess just because i have two apps open.
  • tiki240
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for all the noob questions
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    tiki240 wrote: »
    also, what is the difference in the "bit" of a system i.e. 64bit
    There are three important differences:

1. A 32bits OS is limited to 4Gb by design. 2 pow 32 is 4Gb... but usually the OS needs to partition the RAM in two sections... one for the kernel and drivers and other for the user. Usually this is set as 2Gb + 2Gb. With a trick you can change this to 1Gb for the drivers + 3Gb for the user ... that-s the famous 3Gb model for Windows. With 64 bits the programs can access much more memory, so those 8Gb won-t be wasted.

2. The x64 instructions are much better. In x86 assembler you need to do really weird things, the opcodes are mixed x87 and SSE, etc... The x64 set cleared all the legacy things and was designed better... that-s why usually the x64 OS are faster doing mathematical things.

3. The x64 OS are usually more secure. That-s because the x64 set includes things like the Data/execution/prevention aka DEP by hardware.
  • tiki240
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for that alothough i didnt really grasp any of it haha
  • tiki240
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    double post FTL