Home General Discussion

I have no luck I swear

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
EDIT: Sorry Was just wondering if people had the same issue happen, close this thread please dont want anymore people angry at me at this point.

===============================================================

I really thought between 5 people recommending me, and the test being approved by a DS lead that I did well. Is this a standard thing that happens with companys or am I really just not having the best of luck lately?

I dunno I was just curious what sort of procedures bigger companys have to go through.

Replies

• ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear that, hope you have better luck with the next one.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I would consider yourself fortunate to have gotten a reply, continue to plug away at your 'folio, and keep on applying at other places. Stay sane, keep calm, it'll happen.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't post an email I received from any company. At the very least I would recommend editing the HR person's name out.

No offense meant, but a post like this just come off as "whiny bitch". Which is probably not an ideal persona to make for yourself while searching for work. It takes time man, just keep on workin' on it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    maybe it's your personality.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off dont post emails on the internet like this, its not a very profession thing to do, this is a small industry and people do not appreciate having someone pasting their emails on a public form.

Secondly, recomendations and such dont really count for much if there are people in the company that dont like your art test, which seems to be the case since she said they had mixed results. I'm not really sure what you're asking here? If people typically don't get hired right away when they fail to impress and the company isn't looking to fill positions? Her email seemed like a polite "Close, but not good enough" response, so get back to the grindstone and produce some work to prove them wrong.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yeah don't worry they have a small shop there AFAIK one of my friends worked there for a few years and always warned us not to apply there, it didn't keep us from applying though. :D

It sounds just like they didn't have an opening currently and your work currently isn't awesome enough to have them create a spot. Which doesn't mean you suck, it just means they don't have a budget for you to sit in a seat currently.

You could always do what I'm doing if you can manage it. I'm working as an intern to get my foot in the door. Get them to love me and my work and I can also use it on my portfolio and resume. So, if they can't hire me in a few months at least I have the experience.

At least you got the art test and you got a reply, that's more then they ever sent me. :D
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, definitely not cool to post her name at the very least that should be censored out.
    It's cliche, but you've gotta roll with the punches. You're lucky to have gotten any response whatsoever, there's plenty of places who if they don't care to hire you won't even bother to tell you so. Sure, it's not as good as getting a detailed crit from an art director, but at least you're not refreshing your email wondering what happened.

All you can do is get back to working on that portfolio, honing your skills and be ready so that next time they have no doubt in their mind that they want to interview you.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Should have included her phone number, I'm sure we could have a word or two with her.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also note where the location is... You have several art type schools in the area and it's either them or EA Tiburon or possibly gorrilla games in Tampa.

You also have all those out of work animators and 3d folks left over from Disney closing down many moons ago.. So, the competition there is pretty huge from the local communities trying to get in somewhere local as well.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    not cool dude :\ it's not really luck at anyrate...
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeh, sounds like a polite no, as to how far off the mark you are this is anybodys guess? Without being rude to you I feel you are way out of line to quote the email, let alone the name as said, doesn't send a good message about your ethics or your confidence.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea I accidently added in the name I censored out my name and the numbers and such on the bottom sorry about that, yea like Earthquake said again unprofessional of me, but I really didnt know how to rewrite that to get my point across that im not sure if thats a close but no cigar or is that a maybe or what. I just find it so strange I know people with less work and cridencials and they get jobs out of nowhere, and ive been working in a company on many local projects and being a manager and a top artist in the area but I cant seem to land a step up job out of simple games.

Im guessing my only other option was the workshop training I Was doing now and moving in march to cali and hope that I have a better chance there. Im really hoping.

Well Sorry just was wondering what other peoples thoughts where on this. Sorry.

actually while people are looking at this in GENERAL, It seems everytime I post on here I annoy tick off or come off the wrong way to SOMEONE so...:

To the POLYCOUNT COMMUNITY:

IM SORRY! PLEASE FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE!
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    It has nothing to do with luck when you get turned down for a job...

And don't post a private email, it's embarassing.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    seforin wrote: »
    I just find it so strange I know people with less work and cridencials and they get jobs out of nowhere, and ive been working in a company on many local projects and being a manager and a top artist in the area but I cant seem to land a step up job out of simple games.

This kind of thinking normally breeds an "I deserve this." or "It's not fair..." mentality. I've fallen victim to seeing other people land work and thinking "man, wtf? why not me?". But, it's unhealthy. First off, if you're vocal about it, it can come off as you thinking that you deserve something over other people....or other people don't deserve what they've worked for. Which is never the impression you'd want to give. Secondly, you can start to doubt yourself easily, thinking like this.

My advice is...it is what it is...suck it up, move on. Keep on working towards your goals. Listen to others critiques. Try taking new approaches, learn new techniques, and STAY POSITIVE. Don't focus on your failures, just think about your next step. You can't fail if you don't stop trying. :)
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    I think its a mixture of your personality, your portfolio and your expectations that didnt get you the job. While either of those aren't bad, theyre not great either:

Personality: Judging from previous posts youve made on this forum you kind of lack the ability to make good decisions(posting her name here for example) and are heavily led by your emotions(the rage topic, wtf was about! Your reply in this topic)> it makes you seem unstable > unstable persons cant cope with a lot of pressure> pressure plays a big role in this industry . I could be wrong about this though!

Portfolio/work: Your portfolio is only as good as the worst piece on it(aka: PERMANENT DELETE FOR THE DOMOKUN MODEL PLZ! K THX!).

Expectations: Just because someone else told you they are going to recommend you doesnt mean they actually will, its common courtesy to say it but not always the truth. The same goes for the 'DS lead' that told you the art test was good: It kind of sounds like one of those kids on American Idol that sings like shit but thinks she's great because her family told so. Telling someone its good is a lot easier than telling someone its bad!

Conclusion: Buy a mirror, think about why YOU didnt get the job and what YOU can do about it to make sure you get the next one(was it your work, personality or expectations?). Also: don't rely on other people(except me of course ;)).

PS: Sorry if what I said sounds rude but thats how I see things and Im only telling you this to help. Im no Dr Phil, so deal with this advice carefully :D
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus wrote: »
    This kind of thinking normally breeds an "I deserve this." or "It's not fair..." mentality. I've fallen victim to seeing other people land work and thinking "man, wtf? why not me?". But, it's unhealthy. First off, if you're vocal about it, it can come off as you thinking that you deserve something over other people....or other people don't deserve what they've worked for. Which is never the impression you'd want to give. Secondly, you can start to doubt yourself easily, thinking like this.

My advice is...it is what it is...suck it up, move on. Keep on working towards your goals. Listen to others critiques. Try taking new approaches, learn new techniques, and STAY POSITIVE. Don't focus on your failures, just think about your next step. You can't fail if you don't stop trying. :)

not meaning to come off as "Im better " mentality, I just dont get the stepping stone order is all. Trust me I may come off on here as whiney and annoying from time to time but in the real job im at Ive been supporting and strong and always leading other artist and interns. I just want to get out of doing casual games and go into console / real titles. And its just really fustrating and difficult.

Theres nothing I can do except just continue going, and again the email with the persons name on the bottom was a "accident"

===============================

Some mod delete this thread before this gets out of hand please. I head what I need to hear , Im taking this as another life lesson and going to try to improve from it. I just wanted some other artists opinion on this matter, and I got it. Thank you
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    It's just like asking out 10 women for a drink, not all 10 are going to say sure let's go ( if they did though that would make for a fun night :) ) So just take your lumps, realize that you need more work and work that is better than the last piece and attempt someplace else. As sitting on your ass and going why don't they like me never helps anyone, and believe me everyone has a rejection story.

Spark
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know the part in movies where a tank drives down a street and people are unloading countless rounds that do nothing but make cool spark effects?

This email is one of those shots.

You need to keep your focus and keep moving forward toward your goal and you'll make it. Right now you just stuck your head out to see how far you have to go, and sniper took off a chunk of your ear.

Lesson: Not there yet, time to put your head down, down shift, you've got a hill to climb.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    It has definitely something to do with your personality. When we met in the past, I didn't like how you would call yourself the best artist around the Fort Lauderdale area, etc. I think you need to humble yourself and improve your artwork.

Speaking as a recruiter, I would be really upset with this post and would pass this information to the Hiring Managers and have you blacklisted. This is not the type of personality we would want on our teams.

Who starts threads like this anyway?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Dude I got rejected for a casual game job I could do in my sleep... Sometimes you get rejected because you tried too hard at the interview or just sucked at it. They will hire what they need that's all. There are a lot of qualified people out there hunting just like you, it just means this wasn't the place for you. Take it easy, relax, take a break and come back for more.

Also keep in mind that if the company is bringing you in for an interview they liked your work enough to spend a few hours of their time with you. Good luck.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are employed now making casual games.. :D At least you've got one foot in the water. I've been trying to get out of IT for two years now and am taking free intern jobs for the next few months just to get into 'any' game position. :D

Some people are trying to get in on an even lower rung then the one you are on.. :poly124:
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Ok I’m going to give you an honest (no pussyfooting) critique. My intent is not to make you feel bad; I just want you to know my gut reaction to your portfolio in hopes that it will help you.

I'm afraid it isn't an issue of luck. Looking at your portfolio, you need a LOT of work before I'd consider you for even an intern. I would focus hard on completely retooling your portfolio and start killing off your older pieces of work. I’m afraid there isn’t a single piece on there that I would keep (I’m sorry for being so blunt). You portfolio looks like the work of a hobbyist and not someone serious about making games.

With that said, you obviously have a passion for this and really want to make art for games. That is a good first step. Step back and reevaluate what you’re doing and simplify. Pick a single category and tool your portfolio towards that one aspect of game development. My suggestion would be to try your hand at weapons and props. Don’t even worry about scenes at this point (I’m sorry but I just don’t see you as a character artist). Just focus on small pieces and polish the hell out of them. Once you get really good at those things then try applying again at studios and see how it goes. Once you are in then try to spread out and take on more complex components. I started out my game career doing low palette sprites and grew from there. Trust me it works.

I hope this helps and good luck.

- BoBo
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bobo: I appreciate The honest feed back , I have alot of newer work being tossed up soon that alot of the older work will be taken off I can finally post things I had under nda for a while. So I can post a few new things.

Other polycounters: As well as your honest opinions I appreciate that.

parasite 7: I Rather not feed into making things WORSE then I have for myself, so I rather not feed you a answer of anger or of spite, All I can tell you is since then I learned my lesson and tried to grow from that,again that was a long time ago. Im sorry I couldnt reach your expectations back then and I even "Apologized " to you about it. and If you cant seem to recall it or dont remember it , im saying it now. And I hope your doing well at your current job.And please let there not be any more tension between us. I Want to barry this hatchet now.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    No tension at all Remi. I just don't want to see you playing the victim all the time on these forums. You have to make your own luck and improve your portfolio and how you deal with situations.

Good luck and I agree with Bobo 100%. For every new piece remove the oldest one is a good rule of thumb. You are only as good as your worse piece.

I apologize if I came off as too harsh. Polycount is very dear to me and I just hate seeing it getting hurt with these types of negative posts.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    Dude one look at your portfolio and i gotta say i would shift toward level art. Right now all your character work is hideous. although i do think your cenguard scene is your best work to date.

i would look for some internships in your area and see if you can get in with the experience you have gotten from your casual games work. your lucky man you have a job making games it takes a long time to land a steady job.

And remember your not the only one applying for a job, theres people like me that are also looking for the same exact jobs your applying to, theres a lot of competition in our industry and just because you don't land a job doesn't mean your a bad artist it just means you need to pump out better work.

-Arman
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    luck, eh?

i dunno about the content of the thread before the edits, but the thread title is shining forth on the polycount main index like a big throbbing beacon ... and so ...

luck be fucked. Irrelevant. It's a mythical concept at the best of times, and a desperate crutch at the worst. I could/can list you two dozen specific reasons why the stuff you're presenting as your portfolio is stopping you getting a job. Hell, since it's the weekend i might even do this, depending on how bored i get ... but believe me, none of it's worldbeating stuff, it's not some deep fascinating insight into development and hiring processes... well, a couple might be reasonably obscure, but i think it's really all common sense at the end of the day

fuckin common sense ... went out of fashion in about 2001 as far as i can tell ...
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    lets fight!

dude, i think what bobo said is great, and right on the money. looking at your new work, i seriously dont think your'e tooooo far off, it might be a good idea to get a mentor, study some really nice pieces, and try and raise the bar as high as you POSSIBLY CAN.. and just make one thing... then go from there. don't feel a need to include a bunch-o-stuff... i dont think anybody wants to see a lot of meh. one really amazing piece is more attractive.

oh and on the flakey, spiritual side of the street-- this world view that you have -- will model for food? that's probably not helping you. you might just be sorting your life from that perspective. i've got friends who ask for fucking-ungodly-fucking-money and they get it because that's how they see themselves..

just a thought.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can we PLEASE close this thread PLEASE....
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Never we will never stop never
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
This discussion has been closed.