Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I would assume there´s no solution!?
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    This is really interesting. There is actually a checkbox for it, but it's grayed out, and when painting the command line would be something like:

polyColorPerVertex -r 0 -g 1 -b 0.5 -a 0.5 ; which obviously paints both color and alpha

but

polyColorPerVertex -a 0.5 ;

will only change the alpha value

I'm guessing it shouldn't be too hard to fix....
    Seems like it was meant to be there, but for some reason it didn't make it in there.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    yeah, same here, i cant check that box...
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    maybe someone could make a script paint tool....
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    oops, I kept thinking I'd try and mess with this one, but I forgot until now.

I just checked it out and I guess the big problem is that the context you're using when painting vertex colors can ONLY paint RGB or RGBA.
    SO if you want this to work out you probably need to create your own context. The trouble is that all the options in the color painting tool options edit this RGB/RGBA limited context so you'd either have to:
    • check if 'Alpha' mode is selected first and edit the custom context for each of the settings
    • or set up a query to see what the settings are on the original context
    • or you could just make it into a whole different tool altogether

Sorry, man. I don't know very much about these tools so I can't be sure how to work out the details. Hopefully someone else will chime in here who knows more of what they're doing haha
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Make sure you're in the polygon menu (I'm using 2008 can't remember if things were moved around in older versions)

go to 'Color>Create Empty Color Set' (click the little box) then select the 'A' option

now when you use 'Color> Apply Color' it will only paint the alpha

also there was a very nice vertex painting script for maya posted a couple weeks ago.. I'm sure you can dig it up if you go back a couple pages.