Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Futuristic Marine

Hello Polycounters! This is my first post here, but I have been a lurker for quite some time now, and absolutely love the work that you guys do (It is definitely inspirational)!

I have entered into a character competition that my school is holding, and would love to hear some critiques from some polycounters as I work on my entry. Basically the competition requirements are that we create a character that has all the maps and polygon counts of characters in UT3. We are also required to bring our characters into UT3 or the Crytec engine. Since I have already taken a character into UT3 before, I will be going that route.

Anyways, right now I am coming up with a rough idea of what I would like to do. This is what I have come up with thus far, and I would like to hear what you guys think of the basic design before I go any further:

roughConcept.jpg

He is a space marine type character with a jetpack on his back.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    looks like master chief and a predator in typical team DM colors (not very unique).
  • DaveO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    looks like master chief and a predator in typical team DM colors (not very unique).

Ya, I was afraid of that. I guess I just needed to hear someone else say it in order to convince myself that I needed to go back to the drawing board. I think my main problem is that I am not confident enough in my work and I just keep my designs too simple and not unique. I'll come back with hopefully something not so overdone.

Thank you!
    - Dave
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    why not picking a theme,- like a animal, air (like steamboy) a certain time period or some material (wood, metal, fiber,...)
    - but not so clich
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    This looks really similiar to a futuristic marine i made a while back(like 1 year ago).

marinewip1he3.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have to agree the current design isn't very unique and it's pretty boring reminds me of boba fett. If you really wanted to be off the farm and original you should design a character that’s not like anything in unreal. So stay away from the typical marine beef truck "kill em all" master chief type character, its way over done.

I think you should start your designs with interesting silhouettes and then try to make sense of them afterwards. Also try playing with asymmetrical designs they're normally more interesting. Thinking up a back story and a motive for characters usually helps with the designs.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    buddikaman , im sure he tried to steal your idea cause it has never been done before right ? i mean your model isnt even similar to the guys from killzone , and the guys from killzone are like oversexed/tech ww2 german infantry, and german infantry is almost like german infantry ww1 , ITS A VICIOUS CYCLE.

Daveo ignore all the "oh this is really similar to (insert random game name) and just do the thing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Do something different from all the generic space marines out there, research space suit designs and typical soldier gear and try to come up with a realistic space marine. Everyone makes space marines but I never see any kind of oxygen supply on them and how would their gun fire in the absence of oxygen.

Also, the gun in your concept is super tiny
  • iceblazer17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, I really like your design, He looks like master chief because of his back pack, but I think it is unique enough where you can keep the design and refine it. I also think that you need to re-design the helmet, it looks like a normal space helmet, give it some character! I also really like your silouette, something that alot of artists dont pay attention to! Maybee even give him some parts on his suit that glow or are illuminated...just a few thoughts I guess...keep the updates comming!
  • Wokky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wokky polycounter lvl 17
    Everyone makes space marines but I never see any kind of oxygen supply on them and how would their gun fire in the absence of oxygen.

Well while we're talking realism, any conventional firearm should work perfectly fine in a vacuum. The biggest issue would probably be regulating the temperature of the weapon.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Gunpowder contains its own oxidizer.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    who says this guy is in space anyway? :)
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    I wouldnt concern yourself to much with originality just make it good!, original ideas will come with expericence. the more you compare it to other designs out there your only gonna discourage yourself. Use abstract shapes and anatomy to inspire the look for your character.

Personally i think master chief looks like he should be riding a dirt bike or playing paintball.
  • iceblazer17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ummm, I dont agree......I had original idas when I was in kindergarden. And yea, I do agree with not comparing it to other designs, just use them as reference or inspiration. Try and lear from others designs....artists have been doing this since before christ was born. But I liekd the new design on the class page, post it up on here yo!
  • DaveO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for all the comments!

I decided to continue with the design, but fix a few things. I still need to work on making it not so symmetrical, and add some details to the armor. Do people usual draw out most of the details in their concepts or just the basic ideas and shapes?

I am not intentionally trying to rip off anybody's design, so I am sorry if it looks like yours buddikaman (although I am not seeing all that many similarities).

Anyways I got a start on the turnarounds which are required for the competition. I still need to come up with something to make the right side unique from the left, but I'll sketch some more and figure it out.

Justin_Meisse - I really liked your suggestion about making it more realistic. I actually sketched out a few designs, but I wasn't happy with any of them so I ended up scrapping the idea. Maybe for my next model I will revisit the idea since I have a bunch of reference images now.

This is more about learning for me than winning the competition. I have never done normal maps before, and have used Zbrush very little which is how I will be generating them. So I think this design will be good to learn with.

Here is what I have at this point:
    My-Character.jpg
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    solid orthos are the backbone to a good piece. If you drop the ball in this area, its gonna ripple down into everything else you make in the piece. Lets find a picture of a male, the size, weight ect that you have in mind. Then draw the pieces ontop of him. That way you will have perfect perportions, and such to start off with.

3d.sk is a good site to find images.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    Johny wrote: »
    buddikaman , im sure he tried to steal your idea cause it has never been done before right ? i mean your model isnt even similar to the guys from killzone , and the guys from killzone are like oversexed/tech ww2 german infantry, and german infantry is almost like german infantry ww1 , ITS A VICIOUS CYCLE.

Hey jack ass, I was just giving the kid a reference model to look at. Did i ever imply he was trying to copy mine? Did I ever suggest he shouldnt follow through on his concept? I was simply showing him a model that was done in a similiar style for reference purposes. Way to jump the gun.

Scott Petty
    Environment Artist
    www.Buddikaman.com
  • DaveO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Continuing on...

I finished up my concept:
    ProductionArt.jpg

And I have started a mesh in 3ds max 9. I will be taking this into zbrush for details and a normal map (something I have never done before)
    basemesh.jpg
  • iceblazer17
  • DanaP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll remind him when I see him next. He's done some beautiful work in Zbrush!
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your new design much more; parts remind me of a URL="http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=46897&rendTypeId=4"]horseshoe crab[/URL a bit - maybe you could play off of that idea or something similar if you're looking to push originality.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman wrote: »
    Did i ever imply he was trying to copy mine?

Jumping the gun or not, it did come across that way. I don't think anyone in this thread interpreted it the way you meant it, and it seemed pretty douchy, given your models' similarity to so many other designs.
    No harm done, though, just remember that if a lot of people interpret your post in a certain way, it's probably confusing.
  • DaveO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I have made some progress, although slowly. I am completely new to Zbrush and normal maps, but I have learned a ton from this project! Below is where I am currently at, showing my high poly from Zbrush and the normal maps applied in 3ds max. I split the zbrush tool into top and bottom portions because I could not open the tool when they were together.

render.jpg
    ZbrushTop.jpg
    ZbrushBottom.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Hey there that's a pretty decent model so far. The hi poly looks good but the detail isn't reading as well as it could on the lowpoly. Maybe bump up the normal a bit or try generating the normal in max...might yield better results than z-mapper (im assuming thats what you used to generate the normal)
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me of this.

http://www.netjak.com/review.php/1400

ADDED: ALOT! lol

Looks good though
  • Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earth defense force looks nothing like this. As you play as some dude in normal military clothes with a helmet with a visor.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you have your normal map applied as a bump map
  • iceblazer17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, looking great! Now on for textures... See you in 2 weeks!
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is shaping up to be a really cool model. Has a vaguely star wars feel to it, but mostly its pretty unique. Looking forward to the texture.
  • DaveO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Looks like you have your normal map applied as a bump map

It is applied as a Normal Bump (I think that is what Max calls it). Is there a better way to show a normal map in Max 9?

Also here is a start on the texture (upper half of the chest). Texturing is one of my weak skills, so any input as I go along would be much appreciated:
    texture01.jpg
  • DaveO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update:

texture04.jpg
  • iceblazer17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude, your textures look really nice so far. If you want to push it a little further try adding some other colors besides shades of red and white/grey cuts to the armour. I think adding colors will make it beter
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much more unique. Nice work.

Everything south of the knees might need to be re-thought. The overall shape is very undefined and pretty nonfunctional. They remind me of the snow boots Napoleon wears in Napoleon Dynamite. Or the faux boots that come in kiddie Halloween costumes, the ones that fit over the shoes and don't have a sole. (oh gawd take me now for what I'm about to mention) They remind me of Dragon Ball Z character feet... damn I hate that crap...

Feet and boots can really sell a character, dig up some boot ref, and really set out to design some great boots. Define the foot arch, separate the heel from the rest of the sole.
  • DaveO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Vig for the comments. I definitely see what you are saying about the boots. The only problem is that at sadly this point I need to move on to meet deadlines. I will come back to fixing after the competition/class.

I did some tests with the character in game and here is what came from that:
    ScreenShot00021.jpg

ScreenShot00022.jpg

ScreenShot00023.jpg

ScreenShot00024.jpg

I did make my normals more pronounced using overlays in photoshop, but since they are normals that were generated from a displacement map, they are not true normals I guess (the above shots show the original normal map, not the fixed). I have been struggleing to get normals that I can at least fix up in photoshop to be generated in Zmapper, xNormal, or 3ds Max. Sadly nothing has worked yet there.

I also got started on a platform for my 360 turnaround that is required, and began to setup some lights (still needs some work and AO).

Here is what I have:
    RenderwithStand.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Nice looking stuff. Is your character skinned to the UT rig or are the rig/animations all custom?
  • DaveO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice looking stuff. Is your character skinned to the UT rig or are the rig/animations all custom?

It is skinned to the UT male rig. No custom animations as I have no idea where to even begin with that.