Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DJ Graffiti Room WIP - Looking for Critiques

This scene is meant to be the primary focus of my demo reel, for graduation as an Environment Artist at the Art Institute of Vancouver. The focus of the scene is of the bedroom of a DJ and Graffiti artist. The feel of the room is very urban modern, with DJ and graffiti equipment, and graffiti art on the walls.

I am going for a high denisty, photo realistic look to the environment, make it look like a place where somebody would actually live in, not just a set. This is meant to be a high poly scene, currently about 20,000 tris.

I am currently done most of the modeling, and have started UVing. I have preliminary cameras in (would like to post the playblasts for critique, but I am not sure how, or where to host the videos). The biggest issue I have had is how to easily and efficiently model the many cords that would naturally be connecting all the speakers and equpiment (with a minimum of polys). I tried using curves, but found them too difficult to manipulate to get the precise curves I wanted. I settled on using a low poly cube (4 sided), stretched out long and then divided up with edge loops, which I bent to get the desired shape. This would be very time consuming to UV, and the texture wouldn't be very visible due to the small width of the cords, so I just placed a flat colour on them.

If anybody has a quick, efficient way to model/uv curved cords, I would greatly appreciate some advice.

The Style Guide for the scene:

Style-Guide-Web-1.jpg

Screenshots of the scene;

Ghetto-Blaster-Shelf-1.jpg
DJ-Setup-WireframeGrey-1.jpg
DJ-Room-Front-Angle-WireframeGre-1.jpg
DJ-Room-BackAngle-WireframeGrey-1.jpg

Any and all comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated.

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    looks pretty good, maybe add some baseboards to break up the wall geo a bit
  • MikeDoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF wrote: »
    looks pretty good, maybe add some baseboards to break up the wall geo a bit

I was thinking about baseboards, but I want to go for a rough, painted brick wall surface, so there wouldn't be baseboards in that case, I thought. Would it look alright against the brick if I added them in, do you think?

Here is the style of wall I am going for

Brick-Wall-example.jpg

With an old worn an scratched hardwood floor:

Hardwood-Example.jpg
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    ooohh.. me likey. Nice inspiration reference there. Keep it going. I like what I see. Baseboards would be a good idea but maybe not with that brick style you're going for. You might be alright considering how many objects you have in that small room already.

Try maybe redoing the top of the turntable. Delete all the edges on top creating triangles, and use the split polygon tool to turn them into polys instead. To me its more efficient.

A buddy of mine I went to school with at VanArts did something similar to this, except it was of his apartment downtown. He had turntables in there and everything too, came out pretty well. Wish I had pics to show you.
  • MikeDoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE wrote: »
    Try maybe redoing the top of the turntable. Delete all the edges on top creating triangles, and use the split polygon tool to turn them into polys instead. To me its more efficient.

Thanks for the advice, I went ahead and optimized the surface of the turntable, as you suggested. I am going to be adding baseboards in as well, they should work alright, even with the brick.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    You're missing the pitch control on the SL-1200 turntables.

pitch control slider on the right

Otherwise seems to be going pretty well so far.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Looks cool. can't wait to see this one. The door seems a bit small IMO.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    You have some minor scale issues throughout the scene, but that is easily rectified. The headphones for instance are almost as big as the turntables, the light globe looks about 4 times bigger than it should be, the door seems small (or everything else is too big?). Have a look through your scene and try and size things up. If it helps, make a human reference model, even if it is a cube just so you can compare the size of things.
    Good start, not much more to crit on a this stage.

-caseyjones
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    Where is that wall example from? I knew I had seen that girl from somewhere else. It was bugging so I had to find the original.

th_05675_terra014_122_869lo.jpg

Katsuya Terada, if anyone is interested.
    http://artbookarchive.blogspot.com/2007/09/katsuya-terada-artbook-and-art.html