Home Technical Talk

Decal Creation Made Easy

http://decalcreator.inlandstudios.com

Another tool has recently been release. Feel free evaluate it; plug-ins available for Maya 7.0 and 2008. Decal Creator lets you make geometric decals on complex geometry with the click of a button. It's perfect for video game artists who need to make dirty or bloody messes on an environment, or a quick and easy way to create a tattoo on an arm, or model a faction emblem onto a mech/tank.

I would love to see some comments on this tool. I know it has saved me hours of modeling, texturing, and tweaking already.

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    geez, I was waiting for some one to create something like that!!! Great tool, but I couldnt install on Maya 2008 x64, would there be a 64 bit version?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    looks very promising, and very handy. . . . any chance of a max version?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, I'm glad to see this added to Maya, hopefully it will become standard. =) Perhaps add a few simple screenshots to help explain what it is/does quickly (I'm thinking of the polyboost website). Not everyone has the time to watch the video, its a little long and more of an in depth how to rather then a quick demo. I know I skipped ahead...
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    looks very promising, and very handy. . . . any chance of a max version?
    The new composite material in 3dsmax 2009 is what you're looking for, no need to pay for a plug-in. It's not perfect, it would be great if it could be applied like decals in Unreal3, idtech, Hammer ect.

(No offense aimed at the author of the Maya plug-in, he/she deserves to get paid for the hard work!)
  • locus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the the positive input!

Bugo, we unfortunately do not have any x64 rigs in-house which makes it difficult to test for that configuration but we'll do our best.

Vig, I'll pass the word and try to get some short clips or even animated GIFs of the basic idea behind the tool. The video was really more of an in-depth beginners tutorial than a flashy promo. I agree that it felt a bit winded.
  • locus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, a few GIFs were added to the main page; showing off more examples of what can be done with the tool like false lights and polygon shadows. That was an easy enough update.. x64 is a whole different beast.