Home Technical Talk

Mastercheif Polycount

I learned that. First halo has 2000 poly, Halo 2 had 3000 poly... And im guessing that Halo 3 has 4000 poly mastercheif costumes. I took the time and courtesy (mind my spelling mistakes)- to post this reference i gathered from models i downloaded off the interwebs. :santa:

halomodels.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What is the aim of this thread?
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prove a point that High-end games, dont need tremendous amount of poly like, Unreal tournement that uses 10,000 poly character. But mearly to recognize the genuise work that went into developing masterchief. And just a technical look of the progress of the two models. I figure I share what little knowledge I have gained that may provide as some inspiration.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Again, dude this forum is for presenting and acquiring knowledge, not laughably trying to prove silly points. Post in GD.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    IMHO both of those models are pretty boring, the design of Master Chief in general is very bland (presumably to be a "blank canvas" for the gamer).
    I wouldn't call it genius. Without the textures it looks like a motocross biker wearing a weird backpack.
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well.... Until your games are advertised on slurpee cups' I will begin to beleive anything u say'
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Does being advertised on magazine covers, shop fronts, coffee mugs, mouse mats, the sides of buses, t-shirts and appearing on Scrubs count? Or does it have to specifically be Slurpee cups?
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends what you make of your wealth. If you choose to neglect what god has deemed of you. How do you please the god, And to stomp on the serpent is no easy task at all.
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God is relying on you, your the closest of angels to him' the artists are
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I want my Quake Wars lolcats MoP.
    Get on it, pronto!
    1444662980_c6ca3d7551_o.jpg

I doubt that they added 1000 extra polys to the Halo guy in Halo 3 just because the previous Halo guy had 1000 more than the first.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I really enjoy Halo3.. but I have to say, Master Chief's design is not 'genius'. Neither is the gameplay. But it is all done to such a degree that it is a solid entity. The presentation of the MC is flawless through the cutscenes. The lighting is beautiful. The game is honed to a high degree of sharpness.

Can you please post something that is a well-crafterd and FINISHED thought?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    To somehow go back to the original topic - Weren't the bumps in Halo all made by hand (as in, converted from B&W textures rather than generated from a highpoly source?)

Not saying that it's good or bad - just think it is quite remarkable.
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    God did not embrace Halo, but threw it down as the creation of Satan. If you refer to most of the Corinthians, you can see by careful reading that it speaks ill of information, or media, such as Halo where alien life forms exist, especially in chaotic settings where the extraterrestrial beings seek combat and violence against the chosen species (Humans). Perhaps you have not researched this thoroughly enough, but the Bible, and in turn God, often speaks ill of artists, saying that they represent the wicked minds overrun with demonic thought and their work plagued by the unholy. Halo is one such art, and should be disregarded as one of many evils upon this earth. Only the arts which show Christ as savior are those recognized by God and have thus shown many the light of Christ.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    For every 1000 polys added to Master Chief, Halo is equally as boring as the previous release.

Outstanding.
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On my tombstone it will say "DONT KILLTHE BUGS
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont see why not. Its a steady growth of poly balance throughout the entire engine, as the consoles advance...playstation3 has a unique blur/smoothing effect when you turn. they didnt really have that effect before so visibly..

Xenobond wrote: »
    I want my Quake Wars lolcats MoP.
    Get on it, pronto!

I doubt that they added 1000 extra polys to the Halo guy in Halo 3 just because the previous Halo guy had 1000 more than the first.
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mastercheif is a tuff "SOB" thats why its able to stand its ground in the market
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bible was writtten by man not god. You can come to youre own conclusion of this great universe, finding a holy spiritual place is best. But against evil serpents one must put down these acts..

Noel Cower wrote: »
    God did not embrace Halo, but threw it down as the creation of Satan. If you refer to most of the Corinthians, you can see by careful reading that it speaks ill of information, or media, such as Halo where alien life forms exist, especially in chaotic settings where the extraterrestrial beings seek combat and violence against the chosen species (Humans). Perhaps you have not researched this thoroughly enough, but the Bible, and in turn God, often speaks ill of artists, saying that they represent the wicked minds overrun with demonic thought and their work plagued by the unholy. Halo is one such art, and should be disregarded as one of many evils upon this earth. Only the arts which show Christ as savior are those recognized by God and have thus shown many the light of Christ.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Holy crap this thread is GREAT.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    From what I read, the HAlo 2 model was lower in polygon count than the Halo 1 model, so I dunno where you heard that it was more...

More doesnt equal better...
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had these models for myself, I downloaded them, i looked at the poly count. Infact Im sure many companies use these models for there own games. I can notice the similarities between these than what was used in UT3. Very similar, one can only wonder.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Ut3 ripped off Halo? What... I'm so upset right now I'm going too... hmmm hmm. I can't believe I just read that... Maybe I need new glasses. Is Halo 3 the new religion? I mean it's a fun game and all but lets keep things real, the character artist at Epic would have no reason at all to use those models.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    And incredibly rapidly, yet rather predictably, this thread has run its course and cannot possibly be improved on. Or detracted from.
This discussion has been closed.