Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Set of Oblivion Weapons.

Square Axe-2138 Tri's
Round Axe-2226 Tri's
Mallet-1718 Tri's
Sword-1866 Tri's

Finished and textured, I am going to try to bump map them now :'(. These are for Oblivion, and ummm yeah.

1. Flatshaded
HuntsmanWeaponsFlatShaded.jpg
2. Wire Frame
HuntsmanWeaponsWireframe-1.jpg
HunstmanWeaponsFinished2.jpg
HunstmanWeaponsFinished.jpg
HunstmanWeaponsFinished1.jpg

All of the textures are on 512x512's and could probably all be put on one 1024x1024, I was just feeling lazy, plus I like having the individual texture maps for each. I wanted them to look unformed. Like they were all made by one guy, you know?

Let me know what you think! :)

Replies

• LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    The models have a lot of unnecessary stacks (ie. sword's blade) and modeled on detail (ie. the handlewraps). The textures are undefined and look like bases to me. Are the blades and such supposed to be made out of stone?
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah...I did not want to model the rope handle, but everyone on the team said to...

and it is supposed to be stone :(
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Meshes look OK to me especially since they'll be seen in first-person. If anything I'd say put more polys in them, for example the string binding the axe head is pretty obviously a square silhouette, should be more organic.

The textures are the weakest part of these. The handles look very strange made of wicker, especially when the silhouette implies some sort of cloth/rope binding rather than a weave.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Hm, 2k+ tris for any of these weapons seems quite high. Im not familiar with the oblivion game or engine but you can reduce the current count by atleast half without loosing too much detail
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    Meshes look OK to me especially since they'll be seen in first-person. If anything I'd say put more polys in them, for example the string binding the axe head is pretty obviously a square silhouette, should be more organic.

So instead of using an eight sided torus/doughnut shape use a, maybe 16 sided one?
    MoP wrote: »
    The textures are the weakest part of these. The handles look very strange made of wicker, especially when the silhouette implies some sort of cloth/rope binding rather than a weave.

My texturing is what I am working on so thanks! I never thought about the model hang a rope and the actual material being weaved. I think I could change it to a rope handle kind of easily...But this is me we are talking about so maybe not, hahaha
    Hm, 2k+ tris for any of these weapons seems quite high. Im not familiar with the oblivion game or engine but you can reduce the current count by atleast half without loosing too much detail

The people on the Oblivion board say most low poly swords and things are at 1.5k. Some of the higher end weapons they said had 5k or more.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    bake some lighting into the textures - define these materials better, show some details how these weapons have been used, add dirt n stuff... ie. keep working on them ;)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh snap i didnt realize it was firstperson weapons, duh. but yeah, good idea to bake in some ambient occlusion in there.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh snap i didnt realize it was firstperson weapons, duh. but yeah, good idea to bake in some ambient occlusion in there.

How do I do that?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Way too many unecessary edges...try removing 4 loops off the sword for starters than you'll see how much budget you can actually save....
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Quokimbo wrote: »
    ...The people on the Oblivion board say most low poly swords and things are at 1.5k. Some of the higher end weapons they said had 5k or more.
    I'd look at how and where you have the polys distributed because based on that (most Oblivion weapons are above 1k) you've got a lot of 'waste', i.e. polygons in places that aren't really doing anything to describe shape and form. The axe heads for instance have 'filler' polys in the middle of the blade that could be taken out and used to better define the overall shape (profile/silhouette) of the axe head itself.

If you have the nif tools loaded up I'd take a look at the original meshes to see what they did when modelling up the content for the game, it's surprisingly dense with polygons.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat wrote: »
    I'd look at how and where you have the polys distributed because based on that (most Oblivion weapons are above 1k) you've got a lot of 'waste', i.e. polygons in places that aren't really doing anything to describe shape and form. The axe heads for instance have 'filler' polys in the middle of the blade that could be taken out and used to better define the overall shape (profile/silhouette) of the axe head itself.

If you have the nif tools loaded up I'd take a look at the original meshes to see what they did when modelling up the content for the game, it's surprisingly dense with polygons.

I have not been able to figure out the tool set...
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, im not familiar with maya but its pretty straight forward in max or xsi. in max u just set up a skylight and possibly a floor and then render to texture and select lightmap. similar in xsi. im sure someone who uses maya on the board can direct you
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Are you going to actually pull these models into Oblivion? just curious.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, im not familiar with maya but its pretty straight forward in max or xsi. in max u just set up a skylight and possibly a floor and then render to texture and select lightmap. similar in xsi. im sure someone who uses maya on the board can direct you

Does anyone know how to get things out of Maya and into Oblivion? Or hell, what about Blender? I have found a Blender to Oblivion tutorial, just not Maya to blender one...
    Slingshot wrote: »
    Are you going to actually pull these models into Oblivion? just curious.

That is the hope...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Just my input...

For Oblivion, I think these are really poor. The problem I have with them myself are that the polycount is quite high, but the detail isnt there. Looking at the Axe, you seem to be throwing polygons left and right but nothing is REALLY helping change the shape of the actual blade.

Secondly, I know your trying to go with stone, but damn... A stone sword? Why? The textures you have on there really dont help things, it doesnt look like anything other than a mess of over sharp textures mixed with blurred photosource stuff. Theres no actual detail, no AO pass, nothing. not to mention you mirrored the UV's in some ugly places thats just so odd. The contrasts are all over the place as well.

Lastly, you say this is for Oblivion. Well, Oblivion supports local maps. I cant see how these are ysung anything of the sort. If you amde a decent high poly mesh and threw the local on there, you could shave around 50%+ of the polycount off these models AND make them look a lot better.

Lastly, your UV mapping and smoothing is awful. Place a checkered texture over your own and use that as a base. Anywhere you see warping, fix it. Keep it all the same scale too so that it doesnt look messy.

I'm sorry I cant offer anything really "nice" to say about this thread. Its just IMO, the whole thing is just wrong for me.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    I'm sorry I cant offer anything really "nice" to say about this thread. Its just IMO, the whole thing is just wrong for me.

This is what I am looking for...I need good people who know what they are doing, to tell me what I am doing wrong...What would be the best way to lay out these UV's? I know how, but not a very good way.

What would be the best way to make nice looking textures?

The checkered texture thing sounds like a good idea. I have seen pictures of things textured that way, but had no idea why they were.

The people on the forum want the stone sword.

Detail is not there? Do you want more chips and nicks in the geometry?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    i love how its:
    C:/Users/God
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey dude, i found you a tutorial over here
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/1317-tutorial-ambient-occlusion-maya-alchemist101.html

i havent read it but the result is right. so you would basically use this as a multiply in photoshop for your diffuse, or if your engine supports it, hook up in the engine to the material/shader of the item.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Quokimbo wrote: »
    This is what I am looking for...I need good people who know what they are doing, to tell me what I am doing wrong...What would be the best way to lay out these UV's? I know how, but not a very good way.

What would be the best way to make nice looking textures?

The checkered texture thing sounds like a good idea. I have seen pictures of things textured that way, but had no idea why they were.

The people on the forum want the stone sword.

Detail is not there? Do you want more chips and nicks in the geometry?

Well, a start would be showing us your UV map as it atm for each weapon before we move onto textures. I feel you could probably get a lot more use out of your UV map comapred to how you have it now. For these kind of weapons don't worry about mirroring your UV's, but do it in an none obvious way. For example, you will never see both sides at once, so think about it by splitting your way in half, and mapping that side 100%, and they copying that to the other side. This way you have 100% UV mapping for each side, where the mirroring happens down the middle. However that doesn't always work great, so take a look at what sections are right in the view. For example, while its a good idea to mirror the actual stone blades, the handle area may need 100% UV's all over with no mirroring. It all depends how it looks in the end result.

Its a little early to be talking texture work etc, but think of a local map as something that adds extra "Depth" if you will, to your texture work. For example local maps are awesome for rock, because you can have a flat surface that looks broken, chipped and uneven, all with hardly any polycount at all. But like I said, lets try and make sure your UV maps and texture ratio is perfect before we move onto textures.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I am going to post the UV map and texture map. Like stated It should only help.

For the UV's I did this. Selected the object, did the automatic mapping. Then separated them all out by what they were. Handle, front blade, coil, etc. etc...Then selected inside faces so it would select them in the big Maya window. From there I would select a more appropriate UV map. Like for the coils and handle would use the cylindrical map. Then I made my texture maps, trying to tile and whatnot. You can see through the different UV's I tried different things, some look better than others, some more organized. I tried some bump mapping(turned out to be a joke!) and they are here as well. They were right next to the texture maps when I was uploading and thought why not. Enough blabbing, here they are.

To save space and massive photo downloading at once, I am going to post links. Or is there a thumbnail option?

Sword
    UV- http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/HunstmanSword.jpg
    Texture- http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/HunstmanSwordcopy.jpg
    Bump- http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/HunstmanSwordBumpMap.jpg

Round Axe
    UV- http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/HuntsmanRoundaxe.jpg
    Texture- http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/HuntsmanRoundaxecopy.jpg
    Bump- http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/HuntsmanRoundaxeBumpMap.jpg

Square Axe
    UV- http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/HuntsmanSquareaxe.jpg
    Texture- http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/HuntsmanSquareaxecopy.jpg
    Bump- http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/HuntsmanSquareaxeBumpMap.jpg

Mallet
    UV- http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/HunstmanMallet-1.jpg
    Texture- http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/HunstmanMalletcopy1.jpg
    Bump- http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Quok1mb0/HunstmanMalletBumpMap.jpg

OK.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, first off, crazy bump/photoshop filter is a no go. Its there to help you sell your local map, not make it. Some times you can get away with it on simple things but for a model, best off making it from a high poly.

The diffuse is way to noisey, try and get a better base texture for that.

Now the main problem I spoke about was the UV map. Looking at your maps its clear to see the problem. Think of a UV map as two seperate parts; One is the actual mesh, and the other empty space. You need to fill the UV map with as much of the mesh as possible, and show as little of the empty space as possible. But you also need to keep to 1:1 ratio (i.e. no stretching, so use the checkered texture). Now I have a funny feeling you don't know that you can have different size textures on the one axis? In other words, I have a strange feeling you dont know that you can have a 512x256 or a 256x512 texture? That will help shit loads when it comes to weapons like swords, weapons that have long single segments.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will it still work in maya? I thought they had to be squared off.

and no more black area...

and how do I know if the ration is 1:1? The checkers will look the same all the way around the model? What is a local map? Why are there so many maps? Texture, UV, diffuse, spec, blah blah blah...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, use a checkered texture tiled over the model to see if there is any stretching. It should be the same size squares all over. Sometimes, there can be areas its just not gonna be possible to get right, but as long as its correct for the most part its fine.

A local map is a normal map, just another term for it. There are so many maps because they are all different terms. In Oblivion, only 3 are used, and they are "diffuse" (The main colour of a texture), specular (the way and level of shine) and local/normal (The height data which works with lighting). Not sure off the top of my head but i THINK oblivion hacks its spec map some how? I havent really worked with the engine.