Home General Discussion

8-bit has returned!

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
For anyone who hasn't heard, Capcom recently announced Mega Man 9 for WiiWare. Not being much of a MegaMan fan myself this news wasn't of much interest, until it was revealed that the game would be done completly in 8-bit. Read more on that here.

What makes this so interesting is what it could mean if the game ends up selling exceptionaly well. That is, studios doing work again on new 8bit/pixel games for home consoles. Anyone else interested in seeing how Capcoms experiment works out?

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I've been following this on Neogaf as well, its pretty cool actually.

But I'm not excited at all, I'm one of those annoying people who rather see progression rather then regression. Now arguably, this could be progression for say the industry / developers, because they feel comfortable enough to go back to their roots, which is really cool, and now they have means to do so (wii)

But at the end of the day I'm not spending $200 + to play 8 bit games :( Now, Bionic Commando Reloaded is another story, and I would have liked seeing megaman get the same treatment, but I don't think it would have worked out that well... more so fan service then anything.

But it is really nice seeing Capcom revisiting their older titles, maybe other devs will do the same? Is it a trend?
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Well it's a nice change from the grayscaled "NEXT-GEN" stuff, but a little voice in my head keeps on telling me that they're recycling old stuff for a "quick buck" here.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    EGM also has a big piece on retro games re-releases. The cover image is that of Splatterhouse with a pretty image heavy article on that game alone. The graphics look pretty nice, but as to how well the old Turbogfx title translates, who knows. It could probably go either way for me, but man I did love me some splatterhouse and bonk's.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I recently bought the Megaman Anniversary Collection for the GC, and I must admit, the series does not hold up very well.

The mechanics are pretty dull and repetetive, and the levels are mainly based on memorization rather than any kind of skill.

I can see it being an XBLA or PSN download, but those games seem to be more about cashing in on Nostalgia than actually making a fun new experience.

Heck, try the free Stinkoman game from Homestarrunner.com which is pretty much like Megaman:
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/stinkogame/v7/stinkogame.html

Contra and Metal Slug both seemed died horrible and painfully slow deaths.

Count me a skeptic.

:D
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I believe the Megaman game is coming to XBLA and PSN as well, which ROCKS.

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=13283
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    this is one of the stupidest ideas ever. the market is for certain 2d gameplay and other characteristics of those games, not the 8-bit graphics. they are stupidly mistaking interest in those games as interest in 8-bit when it's actually other aspects that people are interested in.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    if the game still has those other aspects, does it matter how many bits the graphics have?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Shit should be free...
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with ViPr, I don't miss 8 bit I miss the side scrollers. I been waiting to see a side scroller type game like Contra but in 3D. I mention Contra because you had several views, not just one view like most games these days. I don't miss the 3 life thing they had to make the game "hard" though. I'm not to crazy about fps games and hate seeing a characters behind through the entire game, it gets boring for me. The tech is there to make some really nice side scrollers but no one does. Well it's rare anyway.
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    This should be a good one. But im of the opposite opinion of jox and i loved Megaman Anniversary Collection, and still when i got spare time and am at a computer i'll go to nintend8 and play the hell out of the megamans. So I can't wait for this to come out.