Home General Discussion

It's coming!!! Diablo3!!!

Replies

• Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    just lower the freaking color settings on your monitors. sheesh!
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    lmfao @ luxury
  • Dazzer13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personal i think that this type of game is supposed to be enjoying with friends. Ppl that have said that they got boarded after playing it for a few hours were on their own. When you have a bunch of you hacking your way through monsters it become more fun. I think this game can boost that it has that FPS fast past action mixed with the fantasy RPG.

Below are two images that i got from IGN, personal i think there different, but both conform too that RPG style.

WOW * Higher colour contrast and blander environment.
    world-of-warcraft-20050915054303178_640w.jpg

D3 * Much richer environment with less contrast.
    diablo-iii-20080628035217005_640w.jpg

Also does anyone know if that games level system is going to be the same as d2 where each level changed completely.... for instance the question/gate/enemies position would be placed randomly anywhere in the level each time you entered that area.

Daz
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Ugh, the grass is what really kills the outdoor screens for me. I get a feeling like the ground is just a non-distinct colorful roiling mist rather than solid turf. The painterly rock looks is really cool though.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    So who all on polycount are at blizzard now? Pior, Soul, Bird.. anyone else?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    seems like they've gone through and grimed up sc2 a bit since the initial screens, and with all the enviro job openings at blizzard right now, I doubt the look of the game is set in stone. They may very well desat things a bit, alter the palette, add in pink bunnies... who knows. There's still room for (minor) change.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    So who all on polycount are at blizzard now? Pior, Soul, Bird.. anyone else?

foreverrendering and dom :-)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    this looks fantastic, looks totaly diablo, and not anything like WoW. i will play the fuck out of this. there better be cows
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this game looks great, so polished looking already.

also.. "Diablo Fans Petition Against Diablo III" http://kotaku.com/5021118/diablo-fans-petition-against-diablo-iii
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Petition, lol.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    The game does look really nice, but yeah the petition kind of has a point, I don't agree with it, but would have been cool if they tried to develop their three properties differently.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    TheSplash wrote: »

also.. "Diablo Fans Petition Against Diablo III" http://kotaku.com/5021118/diablo-fans-petition-against-diablo-iii

I can just see the lolcat now... "I'm in ur Diablo paintin' ma rainbowz".
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr wrote: »
    click-click-click-clickclick-click-clickclick-click-click-click-clickclickclickclick-click-
    click-click-click-click-clickclick-click-click-healthpotion-click-clickclickclick-click-click-click-click-
    clickclickclick-clickclick-clickclick-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-

And that's just from looking at the screen shots.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    TheSplash wrote: »

Haha 2000 signatures, that like 0.025% of the people who will buy Diablo3.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually it's around .1%; if we take Blizzards statistics of over(we'll round down) 2 million copies sold for every game they have released since 200x.

Though it does mention one thing I do agree with which could end up being in there either way, Light Radius.

It might be old school, but light radius really helped the Diablo atmosphere in the dungeons, and I love not being able to see around pillars and junk.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Murdoc wrote: »
    Though it does mention one thing I do agree with which could end up being in there either way, Light Radius.

Agreed. EDIT: I didn't make this pic, it's ripped from the kotaku petition page

2zta5o7.jpg
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Hah, everyone thats signing that petition is big enough fan to buy the game anyway. I doubt blizzard is really going to care =)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Nice ferg, that actually realllly helps.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    To see red eyes in the darkness would be cool aswell. I remember the skeletons on the first part :D, tetric!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg: I think that pic just goes to prove that Diablo 3 can be turned into a bona-fide stylistic successor with a desaturation post-processing pass and light radius. :P
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    yah, was talking about that with a friend, how most of the changes the petition is asking for could be done pretty easily with a little post processing... and damn if they dont bring back more of that good ol Diablo mood. Would be interesting to see the same processes applied to their outdoor environs.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    that looks pretty cool. Though I'm beginning to really like the new look. I'm for the light radius change but keep the color.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    That second pic looks pretty bad. What's wrong with me not having to squint?

All those self proclaimed art critics who signed the petition would already have their copy pre-ordered if they could. The game could take place in the magical land of Unicornia and they'd still eat it up.

It'll be a great game. Aren't they always?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    News flash: gamers actually want brown games with black shadows!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    nitzmoff wrote: »
    All those self proclaimed art critics who signed the petition would already have their copy pre-ordered if they could. The game could take place in the magical land of Unicornia and they'd still eat it up.

so? we all buy max [or maya] while complaining about how it could be better.

they're still entitled to their opinions
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    From what I can see the game is looking bueatifull, and for all those that are worried about being moody and hate the new color direction. Can't you just adjust the color/brightness/hue/ and contrast on your monitors and it's a win win for everyone?

Spark
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Eh, I'll disagree with you sectaurs, people complaining about the art style is certainly different from people complaining about clicking a button in a program and it crashing, or geometry getting corrupted.

That's not to say people aren't entitled to their opinion but I think people look pretty damn silly signing an online petition because they don't like the colors in a game or the proportions of their characters.
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    btw i would just like to say i don't have a problem at all with colorfullness; i hate the sepia and monochrome fad immensely. what pisses me off about diablo3 is the low-tech graphic engine.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Ferg, awesome example, its a simple little thing that would add a lot of the old character back into it. Even if it was just at night and in dungeons.

So here's hoping, I'm sure it's a good few years away, so there's always time.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    ViPr wrote: »
    what pisses me off about diablo3 is the low-tech graphic engine.

How is it low tech? I see awesome lighting and stunning effects -- normal maps are not universally the future, not all games need them.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Spark wrote: »
    From what I can see the game is looking bueatifull, and for all those that are worried about being moody and hate the new color direction. Can't you just adjust the color/brightness/hue/ and contrast on your monitors and it's a win win for everyone?

Spark

If Blizzard threw in post processing presets in the option menu that would definitely solve it.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i actually think that the screenshots of that petition look more "diablo2" , but this is diablo3 , a friend of mine said "the world isnt in the shitter anymore aparently" , and thats the impression i get from diablo3, and yeah a post process effect would be cool like "classic diablo".
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think with less saturation, more contrast, and a sharpen effect they could bring the style around to the grittier d2 look. All in about a days work. :P
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    tinman - you're right, of course. it is much different. but discounting someone's complaint because they'll end up purchasing the product anyways doesn't make much sense to me, and that was the point i was making.

i can certainly understand people feeling a bit betrayed - this is more than just a game to them. look at sc2 - fans getting exactly what they want ie: exactly the same thing only... more. i imagine a lot of the diablo fans thought they'd be getting the same thing.

online petitions are hilarious, though
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    So I have read a few interviews now, and looking at the system specs, character designs etc, I think it is obvious that Blizzard decided to make a game they thought would appeal to their massive WoW user base.
    "...One of the things I like to remind people is that it’s okay to steal from ourselves. A good idea is a good idea and a good skill is a good skill and so when we look across all our games we borrow from each other all of the time. [...]"

"Kotaku: In that case do you think that this might work in your favour, that WoW players, for example might be persuaded to try Diablo III?

Jay Wilson: Yeah, actually, I do think that. I think players like things that they are familiar with and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with them saying: “Oh, this class is like the warrior in WoW. Cool, I wanna play that!” Especially if it’s going to get them into the game. I think we gain as much as we could lose, people love to see something familiar and the reaction to Whirlwind was a great example."

http://kotaku.com/5020721/the-man-behind-diablo-iii-talks-plot-lore-and-battlenet

This guy obviously has the attitude that they have 10 WoW fans to make up for every disappointed Diablo fan. If you are a game company with 2 fantasy franchises, it seems like a dumb move to not differentiate them from each other as much as possible.

It is not fair to fans of the original art direction to say you can just desaturate it and it will be the same. Obviously restricting the color palate lets you work with intense color in a lot interesting ways (and the original games did this with vibrantly colored special enemies, blood, etc)

To me, it is kind of a big deal to take out the LOS stuff. It seems like Diablo is getting further and further away from it's roots as a Rogue-like, which is too bad
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone who would petition against this game is dumb. The gameplay video looks (graphically) AWESOME and so agrees everyone I've shown it to. Half those that signed the petition probably watched the low-resolution video... which looks like ASS.

I love the colours and saturation. The 'fixed' shot up there is visually boring to me. Black and brown and bad lighting do not make things 'dark' or 'macabre'.

But whatever... those petitioners will buy/download/PLAY the game anyway...
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    The game does look way better in motion than in the screen shots, so I take back my complaint about it not being dark enough. Looks great.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good read Ninja, thanks :)

That was actually the last thing I wanted to hear though.. blizzard is big enough and talented enough to differentiate each IP. I think we can all agree that Diablo could use a grittier look, but I am enjoying the style they have set... each time I look at screenshots and re-watch movies it just fits better and better.

Damn you Blizzard and your super duper awesomeness of everything...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder how many signatures I could get on a petition that suggested that the people signing the other petition are foolish. Might almost be worth trying.

EDIT: Well, this oughta be amusing.
    http://www.petitiononline.com/PrettyD3/petition.html
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    looks absolutely fantastic! the environments, the lighting the characters... wow! sweet
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    We all know the game hasn't been released yet, right? Whats to say they aren't going to add light radius, ect.

Besides, if you want to it look like d2, why not turn off AA, turn you graphics on low and play at 640X480 res. That should mimick the look a bit better.

I think petitioning about a games artistic choice is just stupid. I agree that everyone has their own opinion, but to me, its like getting people to sign a petition because your opinion differs from that of someone else, and you think your opinion is better.

Sigh, what a world.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack you're calling me somewhat "dumb"... words hurt man, words hurt a lot... :P

I actually think there is gonna be some big upgrades to the visual look as the game continues to develope, and I actually do think they'll get in more "next gen" tech that will hopefully push the detail, but still keep the painterly style.

Going one way or another won't work... but finding a nice balance so all the haters and lovers can come together and kill zombies will :) You can do it Blizzard :)

As for you Jack... I don't know, I'm feeling really hurt and vulnerable right now, dumb is a harsh word.

BWAH HA AAAA
  • Sardonicharmonic
    Just when you thought the point and click RPG genre was pretty standardized blizzard goes and shows us what we've been doing wrong since the last game.

/glee
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Didn't we hear a similar complaint about the looks of WOW before it was released? And multitudes claimed they would not play such an "ugly" game. Now look who has 10million + subscribers. Diablo3 looks fantastic. I'm glad Blizzard made the design choices they did...for both WOW and Diablo3. The petitioners should be ashamed.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    The only complaint graphically I have is I am seeing a lack of lighting coming from the effects. If there is, I did not notice it in the gameplay trailer.

Right now I'd say visually it's a small step above Titans Quest, but with an expected 2010 I don't know if these visuals will hold up then.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever, it's purdy... I'd love a version you only had to play through once. As it is I have a life/work and will do everything I can to stay away
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    As for you Jack... I don't know, I'm feeling really hurt and vulnerable right now, dumb is a harsh word.
    Sometimes one needs to be a little harsh when making a stand for justice, freedom and the artistic way.

In all seriousness, I would suggest they cranked the lighting right up so that they could show off as much art as possible in the dungeon area. Any other critiques are legitmately dumb. :p
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [MILES] wrote: »
    The petitioners should be ashamed.

Yea, obviously anyone who tries to voice an opinion different than yours should be ashamed. Arrogant assholes.

Seriously, it's a fucking petition. It's not like they are demanding anything. They are stating their opinions, putting a number to the people that hold those opinions, and giving it to Blizzard. Blizzard doesn't have to pay attention, or they can if they feel the opinions voiced are valid. Calling everyone who voices their opinion with something like this stupid, or saying they should be ashamed... now there's something to be ashamed about.

I haven't and won't sign the petition myself. However, I think this general view that whatever they put out in the first batch of screenshots is perfect and shouldn't be changed at all in any way is just ridiculous.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Tulk,

Openly voicing one's dislike for something is one thing, but petitioning is a direct call for action to be taken based on one's perceived moral authority. (So yes, they are demanding something). They are actually telling you, me, and Blizzard that THEIR opinion is what we should be adhering to, in hopes that they can mount enough pressure on the developer to bring about a change. I do not think any person should be ashamed for openly voicing their opinions. I do think the petitioners should be ashamed of the motive behind the petition, let alone the rudeness of it all.

And for the record, I don't recall having called anyone stupid. :)