I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I came.
    The graphics are perfect, IMO.
    The characters look low poly, but nice, and the enviroments are beautiful, and it seems that blizzard understands that post processing doesnt make everything good (in doses, maybe)
    Diablo was my first computer game.
    Diablo 3 will be, with little doubt, amazing.

I did not think that I would be this excited if they announced it..
    wow.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I'm pretty stoked. Titan Quest was the last game I played like this, and while it was fucking awesome and wicked fun, most of the games in this genre fall pretty short. D3 should be pretty long-lasting with all the random dungeons and such.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Someone said one trick pony? Sure, if professionalism and superlative gameplay/art that earns them millions is that one trick.

I'm going to lose my life to this game again, I periodically reinstall D2 and shut out the world until I uninstall and hide it again.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    DO WANT!!!!!

Well shit now my life is going to be taken over again by blizzard... I feel bad for my wife...
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Someone said one trick pony? Sure, if professionalism and superlative gameplay/art that earns them millions is that one trick.

I'm going to lose my life to this game again, I periodically reinstall D2 and shut out the world until I uninstall and hide it again.

haha so true. I just did a sorc run through nm a couple months back.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    LOL too many ppl are re-installing D2 on their machines XDD

Diablo an Mephisto will be killed again x1billion of times to get items.

The cinematic video is awesome :D
  • Mitch Cosgrave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mitch Cosgrave polycounter lvl 17
    The gameplay trailer put my jaw on the floor. The environments look amazing. Specifically in the gameplay trailer I loved how the creatures approach the barbarian by climbing up the walls to the platform he was on. The gore thoroughly impressed me too, what would a Diablo game be without the gore?

I'm looking forward to more media being dropped about what will be an epic game, where yet again, i have to lock myself into my room for 6 months to get my fix of dungeon bashing.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    OMFG yes.
    This will be the soul reason I fail pilots course and become homeless.

OMG.

Yes.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I wish they hadn't released this info.

I want it sooooo bad. My world seems incomplete without this in my hands now.

do. want.

...let's hope they can control the cheats this time around.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer wrote: »
    LOL too many ppl are re-installing D2 on their machines

Speaking of which, anyone have any tips to run it on a widescreen monitor without stretching and without running it in windowed mode? A couple of black bars on either side of the screen would be preferable.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    yeah it looks great, i'd say even better than expected, but to me, whats really cool is just how satisfying the combat looked, it looked so cool seeing that barbarian killing the ghouls or whatever in the very beginning of the video, and then watch them all ragdoll around, i'm sure it was also the resolution that made it look so good, i'm sure closeup you'll be able to tell SOME little imperfections, but in that vid... it looked so fluid and flawless and infinitely fun, really satisfying, seems like it would really make you feel like a badass. :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hmmm maybe I should install it on monday.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    HAHA. Yes. Installed D2 today and played through the first Act. So pumped after seeing all this new awesome stuff.

I would like to add however. Imo D3 environments seem to be a little to colorful. The instant I saw the outdoor forest environment World of Warcraft came to mind =( Little to painterly feel for Diablo. Looks great great! But is it Diablo?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Hmmm maybe I should install it on monday.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

jerk!
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    Is there a transcript or video of the presentation aside from the gameplay demo on the site? I'm curious about so much, and there are little hints and things about the site that are making my brain fire wildly in speculation.

Is it more free-form? The map sure does indicate a LOT of cities and areas, and since they are all mapped out in space like that, can you just travel from one to another on foot? Perhaps instead of the acts they will actually have you fighting your way from location to location?

The Cathedral in Tristram - even in the description of it in the original game - is supposed to be randomly generated. Have they carried that aspect of the Cathedral's dungeons over?

I also salivate at the idea of modding the game. Blizzard and Rockstar both make games that cry out to be modded and expanded upon by their players. I hope it's easier to mess with than the previous games.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    this may be a dumb question but is there normal mapping on anything ingame? I know blizzard generally target lower end stuff but the game is looking so damn fine
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Unleashed wrote: »
    this may be a dumb question but is there normal mapping on anything ingame? I know blizzard generally target lower end stuff but the game is looking so damn fine

if you look at the models on the classes page..and in the bestiary..they all look like all they have is a diffuse....I doubt they have normal maps....or if they do they are extremely subtle......

this looks great ...I am so happy they kept the iso view....did Soul work on this...or any other polycounter...if so, awesome work man..cant wait to play
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    awesome, can't wait for this.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Cinematic was nice. Though Minis tirith, the balrog and the orcs marching from mordor were all a bit lame. It would have been nice to see some slightly more original design, I guess the same could be said about starcraft. But hey, you cant deny the work is quality.

Oh yea, and the ingame character designs rock. Witchdoctor FTW. Good work team.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    The barbarian sure looks like your style of painting pior, hell they both look like pior or soul textured them. If you did or didn't doesn't matter its great work no matter what.

I can't stop watching the gameplay vids. It looks sooo GOOD!
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    anyone got a direct link to the debut gameplay trailer? thats under 200 meg? Gametrailers ain't working for me, my internet has slowed to dial-up speed, dont ask :S.

EDIT:
    Ok this seems to be the 195 meg one on gametrailers, its in .flv
    http://www.mininova.org/tor/1547710
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    witchdoctor idle animation wins, btw
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I dont think there is any normal mapping but theres alot of polys used really well and the lighting engine seems to show this off even on characters, like that boss at the end with the claws he looks pretty high poly but its probably just polys in the right places and a nice lighting system...perhaps some specular...its hard to tell and the screenshots look really flat and empty compared to the gameplay video.
    The camera seems to be closer to the character than I remember in D2 I dont know if I like that
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    loved all it. i really am stoked, perfect art direction btw, a tad too "cartoony" imo , but it seems blizzard is headed that way, and what matters is gameplay so ehehhe...
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    So, could anyone explain to me what's so special about this? It's going to be finetuned until perfection and I'd love to love a game, but I'm not getting what you're all so excited about.

The art is almost crazily well executed and the environments look lovely... if you take the time to look at them thoroughly, but at first glance, it could be any Action RPG. Whereas the Warcraft franchise, and to a lesser degree, Starcraft, are instantly recognisable from a hundred feet away.

The action, while fluid and neat, consists of clicking on enemies. Err... yeah.

I've not played either of the former Diablo games, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't know what a good Action RPG is (supposed to be) about. But from my perspective it looks like a very well executed version of a not too special concept, both in art and gameplay. Not here to troll, but I'd love to see what you guys are seeing.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ComradeJ wrote: »
    ...it looks like a very well executed version of a not too special concept, both in art and gameplay...

I think you mean "a very well executed version of a simple concept, both in art and gameplay"... and that's why it's good. Execution of a concept is one of the most important things for a solid and enjoyable game, IMHO. Every new game doesn't have to have amazing new features, it just has to be done well, and have as few niggling issues as possible. If every aspect of it is as polished as we've come to expect from Blizzard, then it'll be a very enjoyable game to play.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    ComradeJ wrote: »

I've not played either of the former Diablo games...

Herein lies the problem.
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    so we patiently wait many years for hardware to advance to the point where we can get graphics better than the previous games but without prerendered sprites and then they decide to just apparently use the World of Warcraft or Warcraft 3 graphic engine. i am totally sick of PC game developers holding human progress back by using previous generation tech just because they think it's a way to get more money. i've totally lost all respect for Blizzard. and don't any of you dare give me that stylism bullshit.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Well, it is a style choice, but a disappointing one because I feel they could have pushed the style even further by blending in heavier doses of realism in the game world. Some of the outdoor grass areas especially look kinda bland.

But that's just pissing in the wind. I have a raging erection, and I can't wait for this game to waste two more years of my life like the previous ones. They just better have the necro in there so I can fiddle around with 20 minions following me.

Also Pior, that was mean. :(
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ViPr wrote: »
    so we patiently wait many years for hardware to advance to the point where we can get graphics better than the previous games but without prerendered sprites and then they decide to just apparently use the World of Warcraft or Warcraft 3 graphic engine. i am totally sick of PC game developers holding human progress back by using previous generation tech just because they think it's a way to get more money. i've totally lost all respect for Blizzard. and don't any of you dare give me that stylism bullshit.

lol, you muppet... tech != art
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I really like how they pushed everything more subtle to that painterly beautyfull looking style.

Also the animation are slightly pushed stylized. Looks very good to me and i think i understand why they dont use normals ans specular maps. For the small characters on screen and the small textures it wouldnt make much sense and using normals and specular would go away a lot from the painterly style.
    I think its a very good thing when devlopers go away from makeing the "next more realistic looking game" and instead make something unique looking!
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! had to force quit my browser. There must be a lot of traffic coming through.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    dfacto wrote: »
    But that's just pissing in the wind. I have a raging erection, and I can't wait for this game to waste two more years of my life like the previous ones. They just better have the necro in there so I can fiddle around with 20 minions following me.

I think the Witchdoctor is the new necromancer, you summon undead units, and use curses and debuffs on your enemies, and the poison and bone tree is replaced by fire and disease...

@Vipr - I thought Blizzard was renowned for making great games, not pandering to the graphics = gameplay crowd...and how do you lose respect for a company that wants MORE people to be able to play its games?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions: I'll hate them if they do that. Necro is too cool to replace. :(

Also I wouldn't bet on the "more people being able to play" aspect. Don't know the tech specs, but all of those effects and creatures probably aren't as graphics friendly as all that. Better than Crysis of course. :P
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    dfacto wrote: »
    Well, it is a style choice, but a disappointing one because I feel they could have pushed the style even further by blending in heavier doses of realism in the game world. Some of the outdoor grass areas especially look kinda bland.

I dunno, for me realism = forgettable. I felt the opposite--the interiors were the blander of the two. Good art, but nothing extraordinary... but the exteriors---those look like theyre right out of a Frazetta painting! It's a classic dark fantasy oil painted 'look' It's the side of fantasy that's all but lost behind the LOTR and Arthurian subgenres, and a perfect direction for Diablo
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    ViPr wrote: »
    Pretty funny how you asume and speculate everything you say, then believe it yourself and get mad about it... great stuff! :)
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, just reread that post and thought this was hilarious:
    PC game developers holding human progress back

DAMN you Blizzard! How will we ever achieve a Unified Field Theory if you keep dicking around! Start making games only 5% of the gaming population can play at max settings you schmucks.:snarl:
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    I dunno, for me realism = forgettable. I felt the opposite--the interiors were the blander of the two. Good art, but nothing extraordinary... but the exteriors---those look like theyre right out of a Frazetta painting! It's a classic dark fantasy oil painted 'look' It's the side of fantasy that's all but lost behind the LOTR and Arthurian subgenres, and a perfect direction for Diablo

totally agree, the exteriors are bloody awesome
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    lol love all the people hating the game just because it WILL be a sucessfull game.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Blizzard! Your holding back humanity! Those damn dirty apes will catch up to us any moment at this rate!

;)
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    what I thought was awesome ..was under the class pages the tiny video that shows off the different class abilities reads fucking awesomely ...they could totally port it to a handheld....if we had one out there powerful enough to run it.

remeber Hate the Players, not the game..beleed dat yo..fo shizz my nizz
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    I saw the screenshots before the actual gameplay video and I was instantly heartbroken from the excellent (but oh so different) art style. Seeing it all in motion, however, looked completely beautiful. I know it's not the style I want from a Diablo game, which should be as grunge and coagulated blood stained as possible, but I'm also aware that's just a direction they were most comfortable with taking at this point.

Being an endless Diablo fan (I still play sadly enough) I cannot express how awesome this game is going to be. There will be a lot of things that will piss us fans off, because obviously any hardcore fan of a specific set of games doesn't want drastic changes, but there will also be a ton more cool new things that grab our attentions even more.

I just hope hope hope that they don't integrate individual based loot drops, it'll water down the mindless amount of shit to sift through while holding ALT... sure it seems annoying but it just becomes a satisfying second nature to do.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Wowzers, that hit all the right notes for me!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still thinking about why it could make some people actually angry that some studios make sweet looking games that rely more on talent than tech, it's a *really* strange one. I can actually understand people getting angry with the exact opposite approach. Like EA releasing Crytek with the requirement of buying a new pc? Getting mad about that seems to make some actual logical sense. But the other way around? I just can't wrap my head around why that would piss people off. Bizarre.

Congrats SouL, it's looks spectacular. The Art style, the models, lighting, animation, all awesome stuff. The physics look amazing too, and heck it all looks like a lot of fun.

And honestly, If people think this looks like WoW, they might have another look at these two games side by side. There is a very significant difference in the texture style, treatment of form and sophistication of lighting and rendering.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    So, could anyone explain to me what's so special about this? It's going to be finetuned until perfection and I'd love to love a game, but I'm not getting what you're all so excited about.

The art is almost crazily well executed and the environments look lovely... if you take the time to look at them thoroughly, but at first glance, it could be any Action RPG. Whereas the Warcraft franchise, and to a lesser degree, Starcraft, are instantly recognisable from a hundred feet away.
    It could be any action RPG, but it's not. It's Diablo.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many people who think Warcraft is the best RTS ever made. There are a lot of games that have pushed that genre foward or refined it more (ie. Company of Heroes). Warcraft is recognizable, but mainly as being clunky and second-rate compared to Starcraft and more modern games.

On the other hand you'll find a hell of a lot of people who still think that Diablo is the best action RPG series ever. So when Blizzard shows a new Diablo that looks even better than before (or hell, even just as good) they're are essentially showing the best game in that genre ever made. Hence the excitement.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Hot fucking shit. I didn't play the previous games too much, but I had a ton of friends who did and still do. This one looks fucking amazing. I got 18 boners at once. I absolutely love the art style. I'm with everyone like Daz who doesn't understand why you'd be mad that it is painted rather than generated.

Another example is Half Life 2. At the time, the system requirements for Doom 3 were much higher and it was more high tech, but Half Life 2 wiped the floor with talented style and painting.

Congrats SouL ;)
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Johny wrote: »
    lol love all the people hating the game just because it WILL be a sucessfull game.

it definitely will be, but i still think it could be more dynamic, more God of War like, even with the iso
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I love it the way it is now! :P

So what 2 years until i get my hands on this or what do you think? Im saying atleast 2 years until it ships. :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I love it the way it is now! :P

So what 2 years until i get my hands on this or what do you think? Im saying atleast 2 years until it ships. :)

Nah, it's coming out December 2008... I have insider info, you just wait and see.

/end sarcasmssssssssssssssss