Home Contests & Challenges Archives

FPS Weapon: Apex Assualt Rifle: Sage

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
It has begun!!!!

Here is my concept, I'll probably going to go back and define the high and low points and paint highlights for practice.

I don't have a lot of time for this due to a deadline, so I'm sticking to this. Let me know what you think. Back to work. Thanks.

EQ you better enter and bring it... :poly121: I better finish this on time too! :poly139:

Alex

concept

apex_c.jpg

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    not a big fun of the concept. looks kinda wonky. lol. but we'll see. impress us. :)
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well it is bent cause I can't draw in a straight line it seems. LOL

Alex
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I updated my concept a little. Removed some things I didn't like and tried and push the style a bit more. Established the high and low planes and some of the different colors the metal will have, and added the lights. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

apex_c01.jpg

Alex
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    it could look cool, maybe add some more interesting detail to the fp viewable side of the weapon
    more interesting details on the top would really help it,, have you thought anything about moving parts? don't really know how this competition works, but for me scifi weapons means cool looking moving parts, it's key :)
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well I was lazy and didn't do a right view again but there is going to be a camera type device poking out towards the right. Once I make a rough 3d shape I'll know how good or bad this works in fpv. I'll probably get better ideas on what to do once that is done.

The gun is a pulse cannon and the ammo bit is just battery that burns out after heavy use.

Alex
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Here is a rough of my gun in 3d. Around 6500 tris.

apex_01.jpg
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I did a few sketches over the weekend after watching El Coro's tutorial. Pretty cool tutorial.

This what I came up with.

apex_c02.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    it seems to have detail for the sake of detail , not that it is a bad thing but it is very distracting of the overall shape .
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Johny thanks for the feedback. I tend to like busy stuff, any suggestions on how to make it less noisy.

Quick paint over.

apex_c03.jpg
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Quick update, modeling new concept. Pretty happy with it. the FPV view of the gun is pretty bad though. I'll have to check ut3 to properly place the camera. I'm changing things as I go.

apex_v2_01.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    yeah your shapes are all basicly flat, and stick out exactly the same, need to add a lot more variation, different sizes, different angles, smooth parts, etc etc. also the scope in the concept looked a lot better, you really gotta go to town with that sort of thing, because thats where the eye is naturally drawn to.

I like the less busy concept a lot better, but now you have to take those shapes and forms and really mold them into something that reads well, good luck man.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Paper thing gun for the win? no... LOL I'll smash it into shape with a few lattices. Still roughing the crap out of all these shapes. To be honest I haven't done much to the scope, I didn't realize how bad this thing was looking until I did the FPV setup. That will show me. Thanks for the feedback EQ.

Alex
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Small tweek to get rid of terrible scope smoothing garbage it had, and got rid of the paper thing gun. did some small tweeks to some shapes. I'll be rounding some stuff off so it doesn't all look soo flat. Added some lights so the FPV view showed the shape of the gun some more. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

apex_v2_02.jpg

Added WIP lens and modified the body a bit.

apex_v2_03.jpg

Alex
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Heh heh, small tweek. LOL

I decided to model Tyruben's MD 23 Bonejack rifle because I liked it too much. So here is what I have. 5000 tris. Yup my timing is great I know. Thanks Ged for posting that cool site. :D

md23_bonejack.jpg

md23_bonejack_w.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Are you planing on skipping the highres model and going straight to texturing now? Or you gonna knock out a highres in the next day or two and try to squeez texture in?
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well I was going to go with stainless steel sort of look fro this, and use the high res to make the texture. To be honest I'm not used to using more than 5000 tris so the extra tris kind of have me feeling that I have way too much freedom for this. I'm mostly doing this for normal map practice so if the the diffuse and spec are alright that's fine with me.
  • kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    you could easily throw out quite a few tris there and use it on some detail stuff. I was just wondering why you mentioned the 5k limit because it could really need some opimization... anyways it will be a close thing to get it finished on time ;)
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I mentioned it because I rarely go over that, 5000 tris. 95 % of what I do is around 2000 tris or less. The tri limit for the low is 7000 if I remember correctly. So for me it feels like I'm wasting pols at times since I can do it with a texture. If I cleaned up this model it would go under 5000 easily. I still have 2000 tris to play with for the low so I'm not sure what else to add, but I'm sure I'll find it real quick once I add some bevels to the gun. Also this is more of a cage model and the line down the middle is going to be removed once I finish modeling.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    deadline here and i'm almost done the high poly.

Quick update. Copied Mops's FPV pose, sort of... blah blah. Pretty happy with it. I'll be adding the woman and more details to the back of the gun so it doesn't suck as much.

Alex

md23_bonejack02.jpg
  • harsh
    good work . impressive :wink: