Homeโ€บ General Discussion

Pyro update

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMGWTFBBQ.png"OMGWTFBBQ: Kill an enemy with a taunt."

hadoOoOooookin

I didn't know the taunts could do damage? I'm going to have fun with snipers. Glad to see pyro's getting some lovin, one of the funnest classes to play.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Flare gun! Finally something like the original flame rockets! When is this coming out? I heard something about Thursday, but is this correct?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Sposda be out tomorrow. I'm excited and annoyed at the same time. Pyro's my favorite class, so I'm happy, but now EVERYONE will be playing pyro. . . :(
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Sposda be out tomorrow. I'm excited and annoyed at the same time. Pyro's my favorite class, so I'm happy, but now EVERYONE will be playing pyro. . . :(

afraid of more competition making u look bad? lol hopefully there aren't any bugs and we're able to use them in the studio rumble.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If its like the medic roll out, it will be a field day for the anti pyro classes. Last time I checked they still go boom and splat.
    I actually got a late start working on my medic achievements because I was having fun killing them all.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    I'm glad something new is a standard weapon, these unlockables are driving me nuts.

I love TF2 but I don't play every day and not being able to use some useful weapons is kind of annoying, especially when you see some guy running around not healing anyone trying to ubersaw people because they sat on a farm server... good for them.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19

Not only that but it'll be filled with n00bs over the weekend. I hated that shit with the Medic release :\
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you could... just teamstack with your mates and have some fun </evil>
    remember kids, always run backwards in a pyro duel!
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it's kind of annoying that all of these new options are locked. If you want to be a good teammate, you need to fill class holes where your team needs them. When the medic stuff came out, teams were 50% medics many times, and gameplay was severely screwed.

I play a pretty good amount for a normal working guy, probably play 10-15 hours a week. And I just got the first medic upgrade this week. Because I actually play Team Fortress, and could be playing whichever class my team needs. I'm a pretty good player, I play a lot, and yet it takes me months to get the upgrades? I want to play the game, I don't want to be a farmer.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    How do you even get the new medic guns?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you go and look at your achievements you can sort them by "medic". Make all that happen and you'll get the goodies. At various stages you'll unlock some stuff, I'm not sure what does which, when.

I haven't bothered to unlock much but I got most of the easy ones out of the way. Some I'll have to farm for which I think is a waste and personally the medic stuff isn't all that ubber for me to spend my time grinding for it. The pyro achievements actually look like fun and I suspect everyone will be working on them like crazy.

Flare... Gun...!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I would be really excited for these unlocks if they released them all at once. Having everyone be pyro really takes the fun out of it.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had TF2 for months and have never played it. I have no friends.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You would if you played TF2...
    I've heard rumors that when you unlock ALL of the achievements you get a free mail order bride along with coupons for Rent-A-Friend.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Vig wrote: ยป
    If its like the medic roll out, it will be a field day for the anti pyro classes. Last time I checked they still go boom and splat.
    I actually got a late start working on my medic achievements because I was having fun killing them all.

I'm still generally under the impression that each of these class rollouts has ruined the team-style capacity of the game for the subsequent few weeks after.

Sure it was fun to beat up noob medic teams, but I found I was bored of playing a map rotation within a few minutes rather than the countless hours I seemed to waste before.

I've legitimately tried to achieve my medic ones (because the medic was my fav class) and I still haven't got them all yet. But I think I'll be traveling to the 'achievement box' for the pyro ones.

sidenote, the pyro achievements are MUCH more refined than the medic ones. Easier to keep track of situational for all situations rather than just ludicrous ideas.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it does suck when the server is flooded with one class, but it wears off and the benefits will surely outweigh the cons long term. go go axtinguisher and concussion blast! cant wait to kill soldiers with their own rockets :p
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't see what the problem is. Just adjust your tactics to a server full of pyros. its fun when things change up like that.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno wrote: ยป
    Because I actually play Team Fortress, and could be playing whichever class my team needs.

This was my point Ryno. I really enjoy being pyro, and the new roll out means EVERYONE is going to be pyro, so if I'm going to contribute to the team in some way, I will have to NOT play Pyro for a few weeks . . ;(
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't see what the problem is. Just adjust your tactics to a server full of pyros. its fun when things change up like that.

An important note: don't try to play spy, you'll get spy checked at every turn.:poly114b:
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Valve needs to hurry up.
  • Sith Happens.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
    These upgrades do add lots to the game, but.. am I the only one that thinks the "achievements" are working against the game, rather than for it?
    It seams its a case of.. the better/hardcore players are the ones benefiting from this.. the "the rich get richer" type of scenario. If I was a more casual gamer and I couldn't get all this new guns I would prob abandon the game.
    It was perhaps not at as apparent with the medic because he isn't an offensive a class as most others.. but as more classes get new weapons, I think it will make more of an impact.
    So.. just sayin'... don't make the achievements so ridiculous.. =P
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    A lot of these pyro achievements seem like they'll be much easier to get than any of the ones in the medic pack. Except for the ones involving taunts and whatnot, most of them seem like you could get them in the normal course of play or if you have a few really good rounds. They aren't completely absurd like holding onto an ubercharge while the person you're healing kills however many people or punches a bunch of players.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you get the weapons at 10, 15 and 20 acheivments now I heard at work. i don't think its ridiculous. If you play that class regularly then you'll get the cheevmints. Most friends that play medics their upgrades pretty easy. Seeing how easy the pyro ones are anyone who plays pyro on a regular basis will have them pretty quick.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Updates out, enjoy the mass of pyros
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg wrote: ยป
    Updates out, enjoy the mass of pyros

No shit, every server is crawling with pyros! Ironically that makes it hard to make progress on many achievements since pyro is the only class that can't be set on fire. :(
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    fire fire fire!!!

*G*

me likes
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i got the flare gun. pretty fun little toy. not huge effective. shotgun is better for your usual game.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the backburner is devistatingly good. drops ppl pretty quick.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea that seemed sooo overpowered to me.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pyro is massively overpowered and the best defense class and engie buddy because of that compressed air. Valve will probably tweak things.

The update is fun as hell, though, I have been absolutely racking up points as a Medic and Heavy. I can't wait till I get to mow down n00bs on Free Weekend this weekend.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    so awesome, I think they balanced the compress air based on it using 25 ammo and the fact that you have to wait 2 seconds before you can perform any action again.

I'm up to 6 achievements so far, including the reflect a crit rocket back and kill someone with the taunt (was fun hiding in the corner spamming it for a minute, didn't take long to get it), and I'm looking forward to actually unlocking something.

I don't know about overpowered, it's hard to tell right now when EVERYONE is playing them
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    I'm thinking it makes team work even more important. If you have a pyro and engie camping an area, someone needs to go spy, or sniper to drop em or disable the equipment so the rest of the team can rush in and take em out. Though granted, that's harder to achieve in a pub server.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HA HA! We were playing Crit Tennis last night on the 2Fort Bridge, with a couple pyros and a soldier at each end. That was a blast (no pun intended)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Its a field day for demomen. Loads of tightly packed pyros milling about. Its like exploding fish in a barrel.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the update. But WOW was it fun being a demo man on 2 fort.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Unlocked the axe tonight finally. Nice little combo weapon. I think my favorite achievement so far was the taunt kill. Ran around a corner where another pyro was waiting to ambush people with his taunt kill but he didn't even start it till I could already see him so I just moved past him, and did it on him while he finished his. =D
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    someone tried to do that to me, but he was too late so I moved back and shotgunned his ass while he was stuck doing his taunt XD
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen that happen a few times, pretty damn funny.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Until its inevitably patched out, you can taunt kill people after a stalemate or loss is called.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I taunt killed a pyro in a real battle. I saw him charge me. I charged at him. I stopped, taunted, he tried to flame to death. But TOO LATE!!! HAAAADOOOOOKEN! So cool.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome iz hax!!!1!

haxej7.jpg
    haxej7.17fc3dbec2.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helen: Dash... this is the third time this year you've been sent to the office. We need to find a better outlet. A more... constructive outlet.
    Dash: Maybe I could, if you'd let me go out for sports.
    Helen: Honey, you know why we can't do that.
    Dash: But I promise I'll slow up. I'll only be the best by a tiny bit.
    Dash: Dashiell Robert Parr, you are an incredibly competitive boy, and a bit of a show-off. The last thing you need is temptation.
    Dash: You always say 'Do your best', but you don't really mean it. Why can't I do the best that I can do?
    Helen: Right now, honey, the world just wants us to fit in, and to fit in, we gotta be like everyone else.
    Dash: But Dad always said our powers were nothing to be ashamed of, our powers made us special.
    Helen: Everyone's special, Dash.
    Dash: I]muttering[/I Which is another way of saying no one is.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    flaregun is shit... but Back Burner is THE shit! whooo
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    flaregun + axetinguisher is an awesome combo, dont count it out just yet.

i've been really enjoying all 3 weapons.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    good point.. good point
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Backburner is so overpowered, and the compressed air sends people fucking flying, so not fair. Dustbowl 3 has become so difficult on offense, because a couple good pyros will just send uber medics flying. It used to take some skill from a Demo to send medics flying. A pyro rushes from the tunnels underneath and you are dead before you can even turn around.

The weapons aren't supposed to be upgrades, they are supposed to be alternatives. For the Medic, the only weapon 'upgrade' is probably the Ubersaw, which you use how often? For the Pyro, his flamethrower is hands-down better than the regular? It seems they gave the Pyro an absurd upgrade and then made his Flamethrower even better to try to approximate it. Not cool. Ah well, I'm sure Valve will get around to balancing it.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't noticed any magical increase in the amount of devastation I cause with the new weapons at all and I had over 60 hours logged as pyro before the updates. As with any new addition to the game, new tactics will evolve to compensate. I am enjoying the class even more now that I have some choices though. Backburner is more of a stealth weapon. I won't use it if I'm playing aggressively. Depending on the map though I may sneak around more and try to catch people off guard. Otherwise I stick with the main flame thrower and use the air blast. I am an aggressive player though. The air blast just gives me a bit more of a fighting chance against ubers and rockets, which strikes me as a more significant balancing attempt by valve than tweaking the values after the fact.

I hope to see more class upgrades like this. It really makes the game more interesting. Pyro was a much more defensive class for me before the upgrade. Likewise with combat medics. They can opt to get into more of the front line action with their new updates if that is more someone's preferred way to play. If the rest of the upgrades allow for more variation in how players use a class then I'm all for it.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    flaregun + axetinguisher is an awesome combo, dont count it out just yet.

i've been really enjoying all 3 weapons.

I'm curious as to how you managed to unlock all 3 weapons withOUT going to a server with friends, or an achievement box.

Just another reason that proves "if there is a way, players will find it". We don't need community maps when we have ctf_achievement_box_v3.

Valve should just hold all updates and new weapons and release them as one go. Everyones gonna get all the achievements necessary within a 24 hour period anyways. Why mess it up for people who actually enjoyed the balanced play of the original game.